"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."
                -- Ernest Hemingway

Author Topic: Joshua Santana's 16th Century Kit Project!  (Read 13829 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Joshua Santana's 16th Century Kit Project!
« Reply #15 on: 2012-04-28, 03:04:28 »
If you are getting anything from Revival Clothing, they're having a 20% off sale, through tomorrow only. Figures, as I just got an entire soft kit from them 2 weeks ago, after waiting a couple months and finally deciding "they won't have any sales until summer".

Thanks for pointing this out! Somehow I managed to delete the email without reading it.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #16 on: 2012-04-28, 03:29:31 »
Thanks for pointing this out! Somehow I managed to delete the email without reading it.

Good thing you caught on Sir Edward, that was a deal saved!  :)
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #17 on: 2012-04-29, 21:23:56 »
Soft Kit Update!

Soft Kit is as follows:

Pendragon Costumes

Italian Doublet: $245.00
Pendragon Shirt: $75.00

Sykes Sutler

Venetian Pants (Medium): $85.00

Museum Replicas

Leather Cavalier Boots: $110.00

Total: $515.00  This is not bad in my book, so if I take the grand total it would come to:

$515.00 + $1,749=$2,264

This is good in my book, this is something that I can work for in several months.  So with this, now you all will know what to expect.  I will be posting pictures of my acquisitions and will show these kits in progress in the near future.  I thank you for your patience.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #18 on: 2012-04-29, 22:03:57 »
I'm glad you opted for Sykes pants. The correct pants make a huge difference in a kit, as I found out through experience.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #19 on: 2012-04-29, 23:41:49 »
I'm glad you opted for Sykes pants. The correct pants make a huge difference in a kit, as I found out through experience.

One can say that the correct parts of any kit make the huge difference.  That is why I decided to learn from the experience of others before making my own choices in regards to what I will invest my time and money on.  Still, thank you Sir Matthew.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #20 on: 2012-05-06, 14:53:01 »
Hard Kit Update!  I noticed after examining a couple of portraits and paintings that there are more times that the tassets on 16th Century breats and backplates than those without tassets.  So I decided to make a few adjustment to my hard kit, the first is adding the tassts to the breastplates.  The scecond adjustment is changing the close helm to an armet (also used in the 16th century) because the close helm appears to big for my head size.  So here is the following revised list: (remember stainless steel is the steel I'm going for)

Armet with Punched Visor: $780
16th Century Pauldrons without Haul Gaurds: $233
Peascod Breast and Back Plate with 1 Fauld and 5 piece tassets and strapping for neck, arms and bottom of tassets: $360 + $30
16th Century Full Arms with Strapping: $315 + $60
"Munition" Gauntlets with Strapping: $248

Total $2026

Review of the Soft Kit:

Pendragon Costumes

Italian Doublet: $245.00
Pendragon Shirt: $75.00

Sykes Sutler

Venetian Pants (Medium): $85.00

Museum Replicas

Leather Cavalier Boots: $110.00

Total: $515.00

Grand Total of both Soft and Hard Kit: $515.00 + $2026 = $2541
It is a bit more expensive but it is still within my price range that I would pay with monies in hand. 

I know this may be annoying but I have to be careful of what I am willing to invest time and money in, making adjustments helps with knowing what you want out of it. To me, it would be better to take time finding out what you want in a Kit before ordering it and finding out you don't like it.  Anyway, I am looking forward to it and my hard kit would now look a lot like this:

Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #21 on: 2012-05-06, 15:48:46 »
Very nice!

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #22 on: 2012-05-06, 20:32:52 »
I must add that I do not intend on my hard kit being a replica of the harness shown in the pictures, but rather the pictures are an illustration of what my hard kit would look like only mine would not have the etched embroidery. 
Knight of The Lion Blade

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #23 on: 2012-05-31, 17:06:54 »
Kit Update!

Take a look at the thread I started on the MyArmory forum!  I received a ton of feedback and advice concerning my 16th Century Soft and Hard Kits!

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=26025

Knight of The Lion Blade