"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."
                -- Ernest Hemingway

Author Topic: The "Albion" sword, by Albion  (Read 18540 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: The "Albion" sword, by Albion
« Reply #30 on: 2012-05-13, 12:55:31 »
You are going to bring it with you sometime during one of our demos right? I promise not to drool on it.  ;)

liar!!!!

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #31 on: 2012-05-13, 16:35:30 »

Close-up of the hilt:

Wow, that is much more bronze/brass than the other pictures look. Very nice! The classic black wire wrap w/bronze fittings reminds me of the 'classic' excalibur.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #32 on: 2012-05-13, 18:11:04 »

I think that can be arranged. :)

It handles surprisingly well for being a "movie sword", but it's definitely on the heavy side. The blade is fairly thick at the base, and there's no fuller. The heavy pommel and a good distal taper do help to keep it balanced, and the center of gravity is actually fairly close to the guard. So you don' t notice the weight until you start swinging it.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #33 on: 2012-05-14, 14:18:26 »
It handles surprisingly well for being a "movie sword", but it's definitely on the heavy side. The blade is fairly thick at the base, and there's no fuller. The heavy pommel and a good distal taper do help to keep it balanced, and the center of gravity is actually fairly close to the guard. So you don' t notice the weight until you start swinging it.

Very interesting, I sort of figured that would be the case given with the specification you gave.  But I am surprised none the less.   :)
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 2012-05-15, 16:05:49 »
That is a good look on you, Sir Edward.  What material are your pants made of?  Is that leather?  Love the sword, but you'd known that would happen.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #35 on: 2012-05-15, 16:21:32 »
At the faire, those tights were referred to as "dragon skin". As to what it really is, I'm not sure. It's a stretchy, patterned fabric with a rough leather-like appearance. Unfortunately the vendor at MDRF can't get it anymore, so I'm lucky I got it when I did. If I didn't have those, I'd probably have looked into some brown wool chausses, or joined hose, or something like that. Or leather chausses. :)

This is the "woodsman" outfit I put together a number of years ago, with a Robin Hood sort of look in mind. As soon as I ordered "Albion", I knew I'd be doing a photo-shoot like this as soon as it arrived.
« Last Edit: 2012-05-15, 16:23:15 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #36 on: 2012-05-15, 17:52:15 »
At the faire, those tights were referred to as "dragon skin". As to what it really is, I'm not sure. It's a stretchy, patterned fabric with a rough leather-like appearance. Unfortunately the vendor at MDRF can't get it anymore, so I'm lucky I got it when I did. If I didn't have those, I'd probably have looked into some brown wool chausses, or joined hose, or something like that. Or leather chausses. :)

This is the "woodsman" outfit I put together a number of years ago, with a Robin Hood sort of look in mind. As soon as I ordered "Albion", I knew I'd be doing a photo-shoot like this as soon as it arrived.

Now that was brilliant!   :D
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #37 on: 2012-05-15, 21:28:24 »
i thought it looked cool

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #38 on: 2012-05-16, 14:23:53 »
i thought it looked cool

Agreed.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 2012-05-16, 14:29:08 »
Of course those pants aren't available anymore!  Ah well...been wantin a pair of leather pants/chausses for some time now...I have linen chausses coming soon from historic enterprises...but I have a feeling that I'll not like them much.  We shall see.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #40 on: 2012-05-22, 15:14:45 »
On Saturday I was watching another episode of the show, which had some more close-ups, including one of those shots where they intentionally reflect the lights back at the camera to make the sword glowy. So I went and took this picture, and of course enhanced it a little in photoshop. The quote below is from the scene in question:

"Herne's son is my master. I can not slay him."

« Last Edit: 2012-05-22, 15:15:11 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #41 on: 2012-05-23, 15:56:52 »
Nice Picture!  ;D
Knight of The Lion Blade