"We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey (Quest?) that no one can take for us or spare us."
                -- Marcel Post (1871 - 1922)

Author Topic: My Armory  (Read 16236 times)

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
Re: My Armory
« Reply #30 on: 2012-06-06, 15:24:40 »
once I get my new outfit done, I'll send a picture. I really will be a purple knight. (One thing about me is I do everything 110% plus never underestimate me and watch what you say to me...it may come back to haunt you.)

Oh I will be careful Sir John, and I think that would make you rather unique, we need some nice colors like purple. 

Eventually when three knights will sponsor me and I have the knighting at my house...I think you will be totally amazed at what I've done with the setup...you have no idea!

Cannot wait to see it!   ;)
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #31 on: 2012-06-06, 18:16:07 »
Nice display. I'll need to put up some pics of my favorite pieces from my collection (once I get settled in).  ;D
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 2012-06-06, 19:13:00 »
I'd love to have my own horse! I'd just need a bigger yard, and a friend who's a vet, and a stable, and a squire, and .... that's starting to sound like a lot.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #33 on: 2012-06-07, 18:08:22 »
I'd love to have my own horse! I'd just need a bigger yard, and a friend who's a vet, and a stable, and a squire, and .... that's starting to sound like a lot.

Yes Sir James, a lot more expenses to worry about.   ;)
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Sir John of Felsenbau (Ritter Johann von Felsenbau)
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #34 on: 2012-06-09, 14:49:07 »
I used to ride every saturday (a rented horse) when I was in high school...after the army is when I bought the horse, but due to being a teaching assistant and going to graduate school, I had to sell him after 2 years. There aren't any more stables that rent horses in or near Philadelphia, but on vacations I'd always find a stable to ride one.

An interesting note...when we rented a cottage in the Poconos (PA) on Keen Lake, I found a stable and rented a horse. I told the guide about the horse I owned, which I'm sure he thought was only a story, so he gave me the most spirited horse in the stables, thinking I'd make a fool of myself. Much to his suprise, I did really well, and he told me in all the days of renting out that horse, I was trhe ONLY ONE to be able to keep him under control!

Sir John
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Motto:  "Perseverantis Vincit Omnia"
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"
      "Crescit Senex est Manditory, Excrescendi est Voluntarium"

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #35 on: 2012-06-09, 15:52:50 »
Your story brought back fond memories. :)

When my wife and I were first dating we would take her family horses and ride around rural MN.  I learned alot on those rides, like how NOT to sit in a saddle. :o  Unfortunately the horses are long gone now...
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #36 on: 2012-06-09, 16:43:09 »
I used to ride every saturday (a rented horse) when I was in high school...after the army is when I bought the horse, but due to being a teaching assistant and going to graduate school, I had to sell him after 2 years. There aren't any more stables that rent horses in or near Philadelphia, but on vacations I'd always find a stable to ride one.

An interesting note...when we rented a cottage in the Poconos (PA) on Keen Lake, I found a stable and rented a horse. I told the guide about the horse I owned, which I'm sure he thought was only a story, so he gave me the most spirited horse in the stables, thinking I'd make a fool of myself. Much to his suprise, I did really well, and he told me in all the days of renting out that horse, I was trhe ONLY ONE to be able to keep him under control!

Excellent story Sir John, that is quite an adventure right there.  Now I am interested in renting a horse or two.   :D
Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #37 on: 2012-06-09, 20:58:35 »
The summer between getting out of the army and going to grad school, I spent most of my time riding. Even in the winter I had special horse shoes put on him...with teflon strips so that he wouldn't slip on the ice or snow. I still have his saddle in my basement.

Sir John
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #38 on: 2012-06-10, 15:03:02 »
The summer between getting out of the army and going to grad school, I spent most of my time riding. Even in the winter I had special horse shoes put on him...with teflon strips so that he wouldn't slip on the ice or snow. I still have his saddle in my basement.

:)
Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 2012-06-11, 19:43:02 »

Sir John

That's awesome. :)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #40 on: 2012-06-12, 16:42:08 »
I thought teflon was ultra slick so that stuff doesn't stick to it, just slide off.  How did it work for your horse, Sir John?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 2012-06-12, 21:39:56 »
I thought teflon was ultra slick so that stuff doesn't stick to it, just slide off.  How did it work for your horse, Sir John?

It's a bit strange to think about, but it works, just in "reverse" from most normal thoughts - the teflon will keep ice from sticking to horse's feet and causing him to slide around. The weight of the horse will generally keep him planted in the snow just fine. It's a "dirty little secret" for stuff like snow shovels and snow blowers. ;)

http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubricants/en_US/products/silicone.html

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #42 on: 2012-06-13, 13:28:34 »
Well, well...I learned something new!  Thanks.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #43 on: 2012-06-16, 13:48:06 »
It worked great...it was made loke treads on a snow tire, so that it digs into the ice and snow.

Sir John
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"