"It wasn't the reward that mattered or the recognition you might harvest. It was your depth of commitment, your quality of service, the product of your devotion -- these were the things that counted in a life. When you gave purely, the honor came in the giving, and that was honor enough."
                -- Scott O'Grady

Author Topic: Quarterstaff and the Armoured Man.  (Read 16279 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Quarterstaff and the Armoured Man.
« Reply #15 on: 2012-05-10, 13:47:28 »
Another of our guys took a full force side kick to the chest while balanced and felt nothing. The other guy sprained his ankle.

Sounds like the guy kicking needs more muscle, and/or better technique. Or he's not aiming high enough to break center of gravity. When I was in karate classes, I used to practice my step-in side kicks, full force, against a tree. No sprains, no breaks, and I doubt the tree had more give than the guy in armor. :)

Don't discount Sir Nathan too quickly. He may be young, but he's had training in multiple forms of martial arts, and he's not a tiny guy either. Having sparred with him myself a couple of times, he would probably surprise you.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #16 on: 2012-05-10, 14:48:32 »
Sounds like the guy kicking needs more muscle, and/or better technique. Or he's not aiming high enough to break center of gravity. When I was in karate classes, I used to practice my step-in side kicks, full force, against a tree. No sprains, no breaks, and I doubt the tree had more give than the guy in armor.

I agree.

Don't discount Sir Nathan too quickly. He may be young, but he's had training in multiple forms of martial arts, and he's not a tiny guy either. Having sparred with him myself a couple of times, he would probably surprise you.

That I do take into consideration and will be something to expect when I have the opportunity to bout with Sir Nathan.  I might add the I am the tiny guy here (5'2" to be exact), but don't be deceived by my height.  ;)
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #17 on: 2012-05-10, 22:15:39 »
Dear Gods Of War:

Please let Nathan try to grapple me in my kit... with my 12 lb helm to headbutt him with, and my metal gauntlets, elbow cops, and knee cops to strike him with and all the various other bits of mayhem I have on me whilst he be unarmoured.

;D

Ivan, I beleive you may be misinterpreting my message, as I am full-heartedly arguing for the guy in plate armour! I've grappled in the stuff, I know all the mayhem you can unleash. Trust me, in almost any combat situation, armour vs unarmour is just unfair.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 2012-05-10, 23:47:55 »
Well your just no fun at all. ;)
Fall down seven, get up eight.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #19 on: 2012-05-11, 03:50:38 »
Oh, Ivan you misinterpret me again!  8)

Of course I'm still up for that bout you implied we were going to have on the last page!   ;)
Although, I would be wearing armour, should we ever cross blades.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #20 on: 2012-06-14, 02:22:21 »
Reminds me of an old proverb..."When fighting an armoured knight, bring a can opener." Speaking from personal perspective, I've spent much of my life training & teaching Japanese martial arts (i.e. Aikido) so a bo-staff is second nature to me as a broadsword has become. Full-armour keeps you protected but it is not infallible like the wearer. A person who does not know how to use his/her mind, mouth, & body in sync with their knowledge, training/skill, and its application through technique will find themselves outmatched no matter what they wear. Focus your strengths using calculated counters in aggressive, concentrated efforts on your opponent's weaknesses.  Remember (from English Lowbowmen @ the Battle of Agincourt experience): A knight not left standing is a knight not left living.
« Last Edit: 2012-06-17, 09:34:57 by Lord_Dane »
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 2012-06-14, 04:15:56 »
Remember (from English Lowbowmen @ the Battle of Hastings' experience): A knight not left standing is a knight not left living.

You mean Crecy or Agincourt right? Where the armour worked great but the French decided to be very... French. ;D
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #22 on: 2012-06-14, 09:15:51 »
Remember (from English Lowbowmen @ the Battle of Hastings' experience): A knight not left standing is a knight not left living.

You mean Crecy or Agincourt right? Where the armour worked great but the French decided to be very... French. ;D

Oops. Yes correct. Meant Battle of Crecy (100 Years War) :) Apologies. Armoured horse just sloshing thru wet-mucky fields (not being able to charge) & just perfect for English longbow arrows to pierce their french hides. HAHAHA!! Dumb frenchies. :) Arrogance lost to strategy.
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #23 on: 2012-06-14, 14:51:45 »

Oops. Yes correct. Meant Battle of Crecy (100 Years War) :) Apologies. Armoured horse just sloshing thru wet-mucky fields (not being able to charge) & just perfect for English longbow arrows to pierce their french hides. HAHAHA!! Dumb frenchies. :) Arrogance lost to strategy.

I think you meant Agincourt, that is where the muddy field happened.  Crecy was a battle in which the Welsh Longbowmen took down the French Cavalry under the Command of the Black Prince.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.