Main > The Round Table

Server upgrade

<< < (5/9) > >>

Sir Gerard de Rodes:
Well done and thanks for all your hard work with the forum and site Sir Ed.
G.

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---Well done and thanks for all your hard work with the forum and site Sir Ed.
--- End quote ---

Thank you Sir Edward for everything and your hard work.

Sir Justin:

--- Quote from: Sir Edward on 2012-05-01, 15:31:13 ---
OK, my preliminary reboot is done. So much for my 916 days of uptime (2.5 years). lol. :)

Like I said, I don't know when I'll do the main upgrade, it depends on when I have a few contiguous hours to work on it.

--- End quote ---

Umm 916 days of continuous uptime, wow nice job! But realize this... one does not simply steal God's computer....

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---mm 916 days of continuous uptime, wow nice job! But realize this... one does not simply steal God's computer....
--- End quote ---

Indeed.   ;)

Sir Edward:

lol... :)

What's amusing about that is that linux geeks often put a lot of pride into their uptimes, since a lot of the system management and upgrades can be done without reboots. A reboot is necessary for kernel updates, or of course changing the hardware, but that's about it.

But smarter linux geeks know that the uptimes mean nothing, and going years without a reboot means you haven't tested the startup sequence with whatever updates you've made. And hard drives are mostly likely to fail when powering down and back up. The disk might be going bad and you won't know it until you reboot. :)

But as it turns out, I only got about 16 days of uptime after my upgrades before my hosting service forced a reboot to migrate me to a different physical server, so I'd have rebooted anyway before long. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version