Main > The Round Table

Server upgrade

(1/9) > >>

Sir Edward:

Just a head's up that there may be some downtime for the forum in the near future. I haven't chosen when yet, but I'm going to upgrade the linux version on the server to something more modern. When I do this, there will be an outage for all of my websites, including the forum.

In the short-term, I'm going to do a reboot so I can mount the new OS and start doing some configuration quietly in the background. I hate to lose my nearly 3-year uptime on the server, but alas reboots have to happen. :)

This will be the first time I've pulled the rug out from under the entire server since I started it, so I have a lot of little things to check and verify. I'm expecting to have lots of unanticipated problems. I have to copy over the database, webserver configuration, user accounts, back-end scripts, configure a different email server, and so on.

So anyway, just a head's up. If you try to access the forum and can't get in, I'm probably reconfiguring things. I'm not sure if I'll do this during the week or on the weekend.

Joshua Santana:
Thanks for the warning Sir Edward!  Do let us know via Facebook when the Forum will be back in business!  ;)

Sir Edward:

No worries, when I have the actual outage, my plan is to have it down for no more than a few hours. Depending on your schedule, you may never notice. :)

Sir Edward:

OK, my preliminary reboot is done. So much for my 916 days of uptime (2.5 years). lol. :)

Like I said, I don't know when I'll do the main upgrade, it depends on when I have a few contiguous hours to work on it.

Joshua Santana:
Thanks for the update Sir Edward, do keep us posted!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version