"He is victorious who knows when and when not to fight."
                -- Sun Tzu

Author Topic: No Mind. Do you use it? How?  (Read 9997 times)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
Re: No Mind. Do you use it? How?
« Reply #15 on: 2012-05-01, 20:47:51 »
Most of my thinking comes right before the engagement. I usually size up what guard the opponet is in, and how they expect me to try to break it. Then I plan for what they are probably going to do to counter my guard breaking cut. Almost triple-guessing them, if you will. It sounds stupid and time-consuming, but I can think through it pretty quickly.

Also I feint a lot, apparantly.  ;)
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #16 on: 2012-05-01, 21:23:21 »
I tend to overthink it...but as I continue to learn, my hope is that it will become more instinctive and less thought-centric.
At that point, I would have said: "It can become a bad habit.  But you're on the right track when it comes to the mental aspects."  ;)

Most of my thinking comes right before the engagement. I usually size up what guard the opponet is in, and how they expect me to try to break it. Then I plan for what they are probably going to do to counter my guard breaking cut. Almost triple-guessing them, if you will. It sounds stupid and time-consuming, but I can think through it pretty quickly.

Also I feint a lot, apparantly.

If you can do it, then do it.   ;)

Feints have their own proper place and perspective, but that can be your advantage (something I will be expecting when you and me go bouting  ;D)  if you use it properly.   ;)  best thing is that I'm glad I'm short-statured because I can easily lure taller opponents to hit me straight to the head yet with perfect timing, Fuhlen & Indes and technique I can hit any opening below your level of vision when you make the strike.  ;)  And I can manipulate my Zufechten (Distance and Measure) to my will so I would be a bit difficult to hit but I will not allow you to hit me, unless you can, good for you.   ;)  I can even target the family jewels easily  8)  (it's called durschwelchen  8))   
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #17 on: 2012-05-02, 00:35:03 »
The previous statements I have made are only scenarios I created to get my point across. I do not intend on making anyone feel stupid or taken a back because of what I said. 

Combat is a topic that is best done than written on paper.  Anyone can debate on what the ideal fight is, but not everyone can pull off the perfect fight.

Apologies for anyone that was offended.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 2012-05-02, 02:04:04 »
Anyone can debate on what the ideal fight is, but not everyone can pull off the perfect fight.

In a real, 100% legit fight where you may die there is a Perfect Fight:
They are dead, you are not, and you are also unhurt. 

Sounds pretty perfect to me no? ;D
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #19 on: 2012-05-02, 11:10:08 »
In a real, 100% legit fight where you may die there is a Perfect Fight:
They are dead, you are not, and you are also unhurt.

Sounds pretty perfect to me no? ;D

That is a good point.  :D
Knight of The Lion Blade

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2012-05-14, 21:22:20 »
Got very close this last weekend twice at the war:

Once when fighting the champion of the Mists Guard I KNEW my opponent was not going to hit with power on three shots so I just didn't block them, and the other I believed my opponent was not going to account for the dane axe head width in front of the haft when blocking so I swung to places he had mostly blocked and hit him.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #21 on: 2012-05-15, 12:34:04 »
Once when fighting the champion of the Mists Guard I KNEW my opponent was not going to hit with power on three shots so I just didn't block them, and the other I believed my opponent was not going to account for the dane axe head width in front of the haft when blocking so I swung to places he had mostly blocked and hit him.

That is a good usage of the Dane Ax Rautt, you used a good tactic.  ;)
Knight of The Lion Blade