"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."
                -- Ernest Hemingway

Author Topic: Encampment accessories  (Read 17513 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Encampment accessories
« Reply #15 on: 2012-04-14, 22:40:47 »

Cool, let's talk about that on Sunday. A build-day might be in order.

Also just ordered some lanterns:

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=OB0618&name=Medieval+Lantern

Ooooohhh, I really like those! Perfect to hang from some posts around the yard for ambient night lighting. I bet I could rig up some kind of simple battery powered LED lighting so I wouldn't have live candles, too (dad = fire marshal & volunteer fire fighting for ~40 years = live fire is a no-no for me).
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #16 on: 2012-04-25, 22:02:30 »
A writing slope, parchment, ink and quills always looks good too  ;)
All the items in these photos, from when we dressed the room at Caerphilly, are usually displayed in or around our tent. ( check out both pages)

http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/JOBO_028/Caerphilly%20Christmas%202011/

G.

"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #17 on: 2012-04-25, 22:40:31 »

Nice! Some of those photos are really great!

Yeah, that's a good idea. I'm looking into chests, including some smaller table-top ones. Candles and table cloths are always an obvious choice as well.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #18 on: 2012-04-26, 20:44:40 »
so.... what all did you get?

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #19 on: 2012-04-26, 21:19:46 »
Well this post has got me thinking about encampment supplies. 

I am more keen to take on Sir Matthew's encampment ideas and I would seek to get the essentials before adding the nicer things. 
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #20 on: 2012-04-28, 01:02:28 »
I survived using just blankets last weekend at School of the Musketeer. The wooden pallet bed was hard, but not uncomfortably so, at least I didn't think so. I put one blanket under me, and two over me and I laid my two cloaks on top of that. I wanted the cloaks handy if I got cold and decided I needed to curl up in one, which I didn't, but I did keep on my soldiers coat too. We let our fire go out the second night, since we were all too tired to tend it, but I was still warm enough. Yesterday I was at the Market Fair at Fort Frederick and picked up a latern. It works for 16th-18th Century, but is probably not useable earlier. Other than a small tin personal light, it's the only lighting I have. With us begining to branch out into overnight camping events, I thought I might want something a little more to light the way to the priv and around the tent. Still on the list are some cooking equipment and sewing related things for the wife. She picked up a pack basket to carry some of her things and a fire starting kit. Neither of us had given that much thought until we were ready to start the fire last weekend and realized we lacked anything period to do so, not a good time to figure that out.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #21 on: 2012-04-28, 01:24:25 »
Quite amazing Sir Matthew!  Glad to know you survived and you got a good deal out of it.   :)

Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 2012-04-28, 01:31:23 »
I survived using just blankets last weekend at School of the Musketeer. The wooden pallet bed was hard, but not uncomfortably so, at least I didn't think so. I put one blanket under me, and two over me and I laid my two cloaks on top of that. I wanted the cloaks handy if I got cold and decided I needed to curl up in one, which I didn't, but I did keep on my soldiers coat too. We let our fire go out the second night, since we were all too tired to tend it, but I was still warm enough. Yesterday I was at the Market Fair at Fort Frederick and picked up a latern. It works for 16th-18th Century, but is probably not useable earlier. Other than a small tin personal light, it's the only lighting I have. With us begining to branch out into overnight camping events, I thought I might want something a little more to light the way to the priv and around the tent. Still on the list are some cooking equipment and sewing related things for the wife. She picked up a pack basket to carry some of her things and a fire starting kit. Neither of us had given that much thought until we were ready to start the fire last weekend and realized we lacked anything period to do so, not a good time to figure that out.

Awesome! I've been debating on doing some overnight camping at a few events this year and/or next year, but lack basically, everything for it, including a tent. Glad to hear you got through it unscathed, and sounds like you had fun too!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #23 on: 2012-04-28, 02:08:42 »
hehe i had 3 wool blankets on the ground last weekend at ww1. it can be done, but it's not as fun as lots of goodies!

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #24 on: 2012-04-28, 17:55:13 »

Here are the lanterns and oil lamp I got. I threw a gauntlet in there for scale. Man, the gauntlet looks huge in the photo. The oil lamp is palm-size, definitely small.

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #25 on: 2012-04-28, 19:20:55 »
Sir Edward that is quite amazing how small these lanterns and lamp are in comparison to your gauntlet.  Why I would use a Gauntlet instead of a ruler to help hang my lanterns or lamp.  ;)
Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #26 on: 2012-04-29, 01:13:22 »
I'm heading back down to Market Fair at Fort Frederick tomorrow. I saw a Doglock Musket I want to pick up Thurs., but I didn't have the cash with me, so hopefully it's still there. I'm taking a little extra with me in case we find any camp items we need. With AHEC and the 17th Century Colonial Plantation events at the end of May, my wife and I find ourselves scrambling to make sure we have at least the essential camp gear covered.

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #27 on: 2012-04-29, 02:11:42 »
i wanted to goto that. but with picking up 2 rifles i had no cash to spend. its gonna rain all day again blah

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #28 on: 2012-04-29, 21:13:38 »
I'm heading back down to Market Fair at Fort Frederick tomorrow. I saw a Doglock Musket I want to pick up Thurs., but I didn't have the cash with me, so hopefully it's still there. I'm taking a little extra with me in case we find any camp items we need. With AHEC and the 17th Century Colonial Plantation events at the end of May, my wife and I find ourselves scrambling to make sure we have at least the essential camp gear covered.

Sir Matthew!  While you're at purchasing the awesome rifle, please find where I can find a decent or awesome wheel-lock pistol.   ;)
Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #29 on: 2012-04-29, 22:10:48 »

Sir Matthew!  While you're at purchasing the awesome rifle, please find where I can find a decent or awesome wheel-lock pistol.   ;)

When I get my wheellock I'll let you know ;) . I badly want one, but so far the only two places I know selling decent ones are a guy in Poland who makes one a day it seems (but wants upwards of $900 for one) and Loyalist Arms in Canada. Loyalist want $650 I think and my understanding is theirs are chain driven, as period ones were, and this is what you want in a wheellock. I am planning to get one at some point. If you want a snaphaunce, John Buck makes a nice Scottish snaphaunce, but be prepared to wait about a year and half for it  :o