Main > The Round Table

Is Dr HS Thompson's death the result of an honorable act?

(1/3) > >>

Thorsteinn:
"Football Season Is Over"
by Dr. Hunter S. Thompson from Rolling Stone.

No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always bitchy. No Fun – for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your old age. Relax – This won’t hurt.

Did Hunter Thompson act heroically/ Honorably/ Correctly/ Honestly/ Poorly/ Evilly... when he shot himself?

Discuss.

Sir William:
There is no honor in suicide...it is essentially a cowardly act.  That he endured pain, a lot of it brought on by his own excesses in illicit drugs and alcohol, is really par for the course.  Your body can only endure so much abuse before it lets you know, unequivocally, that it can't take much more.  People deal with pain all of the time...you do, Ivan, I do, in some way, shape or form we all do.  Beyond physical, there is also the emotional pain...we each must deal as we can; taking the 'easy' way out because you can't 'take it anymore' isn't honorable or noble.

His life was a gift to him, as our own are to us...I see it as a slap to God's face because he fucked up his own life and now can't deal with it anymore.

Ian:

--- Quote from: Sir William on 2012-04-06, 15:49:09 ---There is no honor in suicide...it is essentially a cowardly act. 

--- End quote ---

What about in feudal Japan?

Sir William:
Their culture calls it honorable but again, they did it to avoid facing retribution, capture, or out of abject misery because their master either commanded it, or was killed and so they performed it out of respect for said master.  Perhaps the last one can be seen as noble...but I still wouldn't call it honorable- realizing that it is my own belief system and values calling it so.

Sir Edward:

--- Quote from: Ian on 2012-04-06, 15:59:38 ---
--- Quote from: Sir William on 2012-04-06, 15:49:09 ---There is no honor in suicide...it is essentially a cowardly act. 

--- End quote ---

What about in feudal Japan?

--- End quote ---

I think that boils down to a huge cultural difference between the East and West.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version