« Reply #15 on: 2012-03-24, 21:23:53 »
Or a Pembridge or Klappavisor.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
Re: ouch!
« Reply #16 on: 2012-03-25, 02:41:29 »
In this case it was a Rawlings Synthetic sword that did the damage

I was very surprised by this. As with any high risk hobby like say rock climbing or hang glidding, theres always a bit more danger ( like driving a car isn't ) but we take extra precautions, which work 99% of the time so we become accustomed, to things going okay, like driving until you have a wreck, but when theres a mishap, because we take extra steps ( like a synthetic waster ) its always a bit surprising because they work fine most all the time. We forget that theres still inherent risk because our extra safety steps normally alieveiate that.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #17 on: 2012-03-25, 13:11:25 »

This is part of the reason I was still pushing for modern safety gear for our renfaire longsword demo. I think we need to make sure we always use some for of perf-plate, even if it's welded inside the occularia of a period helm.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #18 on: 2012-03-25, 13:21:19 »
Wow, a Rawlings?    :o

That guy's occularums were enourmous tough. I would go for the perf mesh inside a period helm idea.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #19 on: 2012-03-25, 13:23:00 »
but the thing is guys fight in open faced helmets all the time with steel even. i wanna know what kinda thrust did that. seems excessive to me.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2012-03-25, 17:28:23 »
but the thing is guys fight in open faced helmets all the time with steel even. i wanna know what kinda thrust did that. seems excessive to me.

True, BotN uses steel and a lot of the fighters wear bar-grills, open faced sallets / bascinets etc...
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #21 on: 2012-03-25, 18:11:36 »
ive fought w steel in a spangenhelmet. even staged planned and free for all, the head is just simply a non issue when fighting.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 2012-03-25, 18:58:12 »
BOTN doesn't thrust I believe and Laurin doesn't allow face thrusts/strikes for the non-knight class, however I hear these guys did allow body thrusts. One bad parry and you have a head shot.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #23 on: 2012-03-25, 19:10:23 »
body thrusts are in most steel fighting. it's in part of the 5s or 8s depending on what group your with.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #24 on: 2012-03-26, 01:56:17 »

Fighting with open faced helms is really only viable in stage combat, and that includes improvised stage combat. Meaning, you're not doing a real martial art. If you're fighting true to the arts, there are plenty of thrusts, and the face is one of your primary targets. Hence the need to have perf-plates.

Having open faces or bar grills is simply a big risk even if the rules disallow thrusts, because a bad parry is all it takes. So long as the sword tip is smaller than the openings, there's a danger.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 2012-03-27, 03:11:15 »
BOTN doesn't thrust I believe and Laurin doesn't allow face thrusts/strikes for the non-knight class, however I hear these guys did allow body thrusts. One bad parry and you have a head shot.

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering too. Seems silly to go for a face thrust when you know the size of the blade is smaller than the opening. Something seems a little "off", and I'd wager it's on the side of the media not really knowing exactly what happened and just trying to repeat details of things they don't 100% understand.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent