"The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to do a thing and to watch someone else do it wrong without comment."
                -- Theodore H. White

Author Topic: Albion Crecy  (Read 25650 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Albion Crecy
« Reply #45 on: 2012-03-27, 15:05:45 »
Oh, that's simply gorgeous...forgot how talented CF was.  I really love the clean, simple lines of the Crecy.  Been wanting one for a while now...think this just about cinches it for me.  Unless I can get Lundemo to do me one up for not much more.  ;)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #46 on: 2012-09-29, 19:42:31 »
I was finally looking at the Albions. Very nice but very expensive. Ian got a nice one. I might eventually pony up the funds & purchase one. Still shopping.  :)
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #47 on: 2012-09-30, 02:58:12 »
I was finally looking at the Albions. Very nice but very expensive. Ian got a nice one. I might eventually pony up the funds & purchase one. Still shopping.  :)

Hey, we're happy to help you spend your money. :D
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #48 on: 2012-10-01, 13:57:33 »

Yep, basically if you want a top notch REAL sword (and not just an SLO or otherwise cheap repro), the two main places to go to here in the states are Albion, and A&A.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #49 on: 2012-10-03, 19:56:47 »

The Albion lineup is probably the most expensive production-based collection you're likely to find...A&A is a close second.  It is also going to be the sexiest in terms of fit, finish and overall presentation.  They're not just pretties though, they are all designed from the ground up by Peter Johnsson based on extensive research on swords all over the world and they are built as close to historical examples as possible without actually copying.  Instead of copies of specific swords (although there are those as well, they cost even more) they made them to fit a specific period or typology (Oakeshott for the post-Viking era blades) so that it would not be out of place on a knight or soldier's belt for that time period.

Your first Albion will make the rest of your collection look and feel cheap and tawdry by comparison.  I own two, with a third on the way.  I say that the third will be my last but that's not actually true- I still need to acquire a Meyer, then I'll be done.  For now, anyways.  I still get giddy about swords...but I try to temper that with the realization that any sword that I want that I'd keep is going to cost a lot  more than what I used to be willing to pay when I first got started collecting.  lol

This is Deus Irae, or Irae for short; my first Albion.  I need to take some pics of her out of the scabbard (a DBK).

That reminds me...Ian, do you have any pics of you in full harness with this sword at your side?  I'd like to see how the scabbard hangs with that suspension he rigged up for you.
« Last Edit: 2012-10-03, 19:58:37 by Sir William »
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #50 on: 2012-10-03, 20:09:20 »
Thought I'd separate this part out because it is hard to see at the bottom of my previous post.

"That reminds me...Ian, do you have any pics of you in full harness with this sword at your side?  I'd like to see how the scabbard hangs with that suspension he rigged up for you."

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #51 on: 2012-10-03, 22:18:23 »
Another thing worthy of note is that Arms & Armor and Albion have had access to original museum pieces, and many of the other sword shops have not. That doesn't make other swords not good swords; it depends on what you're looking for. For a historical sword, A&A and Albion can't be beat.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #52 on: 2012-10-03, 22:59:37 »
Thought I'd separate this part out because it is hard to see at the bottom of my previous post.

"That reminds me...Ian, do you have any pics of you in full harness with this sword at your side?  I'd like to see how the scabbard hangs with that suspension he rigged up for you."

I don't.  I've been waiting for my new helmet to arrive before taking more photos in harness because I want it to be as close to 'complete' as I can get it for now.  You can see the sword belt being worn in my soft kit photo though here:

http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,2112.0.html
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #53 on: 2012-10-04, 18:11:10 »
I recall seeing that...seems to hang quite naturally.