"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment."
                -- Marcus Aurelius (121 - 180)

Author Topic: Create your own sword  (Read 3646 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Create your own sword
« on: 2011-12-16, 00:38:03 »
http://www.museumreplicas.com/c-135-create-your-own-sword.aspx
Wondering if it's worth looking into. I just cant stand the length I prefer swords that are 35 inches not 42 inches.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Re: Create your own sword
« Reply #1 on: 2011-12-16, 02:58:51 »
i see its working again. it was down for a while

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2012-03-08, 21:59:14 »
Ok, I just looked into these...the only customizable features are guard, grip, grip color and pommel.  They have only the one blade size and type.  So it'd be a semi-custom sword...for the money, it isn't bad.  42" overall means the blade is or will be about 34" in length...this is about the outside edge of where their blades transition from flexible to wippy.

Ulrich, for the Crusader period you're looking to emulate (I'm thinking pre-3rd Crusade) you'll want a single hand sword; might be long bladed like Deus Irae (that's what I named her, you'd know it as the ARN sword) although for your height and size, you probably won't want that.  A singlehand sword with an overall length of 36" (30-32" blade) might suit you best.  Long blades do look nice, but they can also be unwieldy when drawing or sheathing the blade, especially if you have short arms.  Deus Irae is a little long even for me...but it'd be a cinch to draw from the saddle, should I be so lucky.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #3 on: 2012-03-08, 22:24:14 »
Yeah, I would of gotten one here but I cant stand the blade not being the type I am after, the hilt I want is there though. I already got the sword I wanted though which wouldn't be out of place in the first crusade, just need to replace the grip and upgrade the scabbard and it will look as good as an Albion.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2012-03-09, 15:37:14 »
What sword is that, Ulrich?
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2012-03-10, 03:09:15 »
I wanted the Albion Reeve but the Hanwei Tinker Norman is basically the same design of sword.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #6 on: 2012-03-10, 03:34:46 »
:)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2012-03-13, 16:43:31 »
I wanted the Albion Reeve but the Hanwei Tinker Norman is basically the same design of sword.

In the same vein as...'a Porsche Panamera and a Honda Accord are both 4 door sedans'.  There is a distinct difference that is hard to explain if you've never had the opportunity to discern it for yourself.  I picked both of those cars because they are cars, 4 door sedans and both were built with the same purpose in mind-- transportation.  The approach used by both car companies results in both of them putting out quality cars, but the difference between the two is far-ranging; the same can, and is often said about these two makers...quality wares, but on differing ends of the spectrum.  Sounds like fanboyism, right?  Well...maybe a little, but only because now I know the difference...two years ago, I did not.  As far as I was concerned back then, there was little difference beyond cosmetic between the two lines.  Au contraire, mon frere!