"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
                -- Thomas Edison

Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 36363 times)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #30 on: 2012-02-25, 03:22:53 »
I love Skyrim! How did I miss this thread?

anyway, I've got about 130 hours, and have beaten all the main quests with a melee-oriented Nord, who's about level 30 or so. I went Imperial with him. I then made a "Cheat" character (for purposes of pushing the game to it's limit w/ various effects and such.)

BTW, Sir William, with perks you can get backstab to x15 damage. W/ the dark brotherhood gauntlets, it becomes x30.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #31 on: 2012-02-28, 17:47:18 »
Actually just found a copy of The Witcher (the first one) so im gonna see how it is

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 2012-02-29, 18:35:23 »
Leganoth, that is in addition to level-by-usage...any powers or abilities you use regularly are going to level up on their own; I think what you're talking about are the Perks for those abilities.  I leveled my Smithing ability to 100 by making and upgrading weapons and armor, smelting ore into usable ingots and tanning hides to make leathers and leather strapping.  Any skill you use will level on its own, but the Perks are important too.  For instance, my Smith ability is 100, but if I didn't add the Perks for different types of armor, I wouldn't be able to make anything beyond the iron and steel armors.  I also wouldn't be able to make them better than they were originally.  I wanted the armor so I went hard on that...so I'm a level 35 Nord Warrior wearing Legendary Dragonscale armor (there are differing degrees of upgrades, Legendary seems to be the best of the type of upgrades); I carry an upgraded Daedric sword and an upgraded Daedric bow with a lightning augmentation.  I use a Firebolt spell w/the sword instead of a shield- just because I don't see a need for a shield at this point, unless I'd use it for some other augmentation that I'm not currently needing.

Keep the Perks for the skills you use the most...I think you'll get the most bang for the buck like that.  I'm looking to be fully leveled (or close) in One-Hand skill and Archery.

I'm at 95 hours now and I seem to keep getting mired down in side and miscellaneous type quests...great fun, great fun...that Redguard character's just gonna have to wait.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #33 on: 2012-02-29, 19:02:03 »

I ended up getting distracted away from it. I'll get back to playing sooner or later. But in a way I got a little gamed-out after a long stretch of SWTOR. Heh. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 2012-02-29, 22:10:05 »
Sir Edward...if I were you, I'd take a solid week and clear your mind of the Force imperatives; when you dive into Skyrim, you'll be fresh and ready.  Its gonna get you!

Sir Nathan, thanks for that headsup...I knew there was some modifier for the Backstab, just forgot what that was.  Sorta precludes the need for a sword if you're an adept at Sneak...I charmed my boots w/a Muffle spell so my armor doesn't clink or clank when I'm moving in sneak mode; just learned an invisibility spell that I haven't put to use yet but figure it'll be MONSTER coupled with the Backstab.  Got a Glass dagger I made just for that job...haven't enchanted it yet because I'm trying to decide if it would be worth enchanting.  I mean, I guess I could tie an Absorb Stamina or Damage Stamina spell to it, but is that really necessary?  That's a one-hit kill for almost anyone just about, right?
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #35 on: 2012-03-01, 01:01:23 »
Epic! \m/
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #36 on: 2012-03-01, 01:51:28 »
WOW. We seriously need to find a way to do some "promos" like that. The atmosphere is amazing for what I assume to be a fan video? I don't care much for the cutaway to guitar stuff, but the first minute was epic!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #37 on: 2012-03-01, 02:54:53 »
Yep, I would love to make some cool imagery to put up on youtube. I have the software to do special effects too, you know. :)

The hard part is finding locations.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #38 on: 2012-03-01, 05:28:20 »
Sir Edward...if I were you, I'd take a solid week and clear your mind of the Force imperatives; when you dive into Skyrim, you'll be fresh and ready.  Its gonna get you!

Sir Nathan, thanks for that headsup...I knew there was some modifier for the Backstab, just forgot what that was.  Sorta precludes the need for a sword if you're an adept at Sneak...I charmed my boots w/a Muffle spell so my armor doesn't clink or clank when I'm moving in sneak mode; just learned an invisibility spell that I haven't put to use yet but figure it'll be MONSTER coupled with the Backstab.  Got a Glass dagger I made just for that job...haven't enchanted it yet because I'm trying to decide if it would be worth enchanting.  I mean, I guess I could tie an Absorb Stamina or Damage Stamina spell to it, but is that really necessary?  That's a one-hit kill for almost anyone just about, right?

If your gonna use a dagger for backstabs put soul trap on it, VERY useful in my opinion, and on bows too cause both are used in stealth kills

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #39 on: 2012-03-01, 14:23:33 »

Stealth? My plan is to burst through the door and burninate everything. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #40 on: 2012-03-01, 18:34:41 »

Stealth? My plan is to burst through the door and burninate everything. :)

http://www.homestarrunner.com/trogdor.html
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 2012-03-01, 18:42:25 »
LOL

He's not talkin to you, Sir Edward- at least I don't think so, he's talkin to me.  I use the bow quite effectively, it has quite a bit of reach on it.  I've stood on cliffs and shot down across rivers and tagged my prey.  I have a soul trap spell I can use, or an enchantment that I lifted off of another blade...but I don't have a huge use for souls right now.  You do need them to enchant anything, but I have a couple black soul gems already filled, and a few of the white ones too.  There's just so much you can get into, sometimes its hard to find a starting point.

Of course, Sir Edward's way is probably going to be the coolest way to go through the game, if only because its the first game that gives mages their just due...if you're a mage you shouldn't have to carry weaponry or wear armor, I mean, that's the point, right?

Stealth is very useful early on, but as you say, if your purpose is to 'burninate' everything in the room, why sneak up on them to do it?  Although you're gonna wanna avoid giants and mammoths for the nonce...they pack a helluva wallop, altho they're no sweat for me now.

LMAO @ TROGDOR

Sir Edward, you know you have to use that name for your character now, and post vids of his exploits!

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #42 on: 2012-03-01, 20:22:50 »

lol, no worries, I knew you guys were talking stealth amongst yourselves.

Sir James got my reference right away, lol.

Yeah, now I wish I had made my character one of those lizard men and named him Trogdor. :)

Sir Ed T. Toton III

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #43 on: 2012-03-01, 21:16:07 »
Haha, yeah I'm making a high-elf mage right now. Just started, so I'm only level 5. The Burninate strategy works out pretty well though  :)
Really fun to lead them onto runes (magic land mines) .
Burninate all the things!

for once magic also looks cool and impressive. Not some goofy side thing.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #44 on: 2012-03-01, 21:18:32 »
TROGDOR!!!!!!!!!! the burninator