"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
                -- Edmund Burke

Author Topic: I hate scammers  (Read 3048 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
I hate scammers
« on: 2012-02-14, 15:09:31 »
One look at this and you know its cheap Indian or Pakistani crap that's all over ebaY.  The nerve of this guy...

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/bar/2838726261.html
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: I hate scammers
« Reply #1 on: 2012-02-14, 19:36:28 »
I don't think he's claiming it's actually "medieval" age/antique. For the price, getting a full mail shirt, coif, helmet, gauntlets, and breast and back .. isn't a terrible price. It's probably about what it retails for, but maybe he did pay more than that. The mail shirt I gave you with the extra rings is a butted, mild shirt; they're around $120 on eBay right now. I paid about $500 for it back in the mid/late 90s before the indian "armories" started getting up in full swing and cranking out lots of cheap stuff quickly. Hard to guess what he paid for that armor; it looks like an Armet/Close helmet, and even the cheap indian knockoffs I've seen are $300ish. What's in the listing that looks wrong/misleading?

(the listing might be edited from the original, so I'm just going off what I see on there now...)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2012-02-16, 18:05:40 »
Well, the cuirass and pauldron set I know came from India, here's another one just like it for $151... http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEDIEVAL-BREAST-PLATE-SHOULDERS-SUIT-ARMOR-LARP-HALLOWEEN-COSTUME-PROP-/250997282508?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a709a96cc which is more than I've seen it before (I've seen it go for $99 plus shipping, just a few months ago); the gauntlets and armet are I'm sure BudK pieces (I get the catalog, they label the gauntlets as 'Roman gauntlets' which is hilarious to me, in fact, here's a pair $86 plus shipping, exact match I'm thinking:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-Metal-Gauntlet-Armor-GLOVES-Costume-Medieval-/260763046038?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb6b05096

If you can pull up the BudK catalog, you should be able to see that armet and those gauntlets for their usual prices.  I'm not saying he didn't pay what he says he did, I guess I was going off what it was actually worth now.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2012-02-16, 20:19:42 »
That looks exactly like that cuirass and gauntlets. Adding in that armet and the mail, I think that might be ~$500 or $600 worth of armor. Could be reselling the armor for more than he paid, or could just have no clue what it's worth now. His trade offers kinda make me wonder.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2012-02-17, 15:07:04 »
I think he's selling it for more than he paid for it; and you are right, his trade interests lead me to believe he might be a dumpster diver...I could see all of these pieces being in a dumpster.  lol

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #5 on: 2012-02-20, 02:57:58 »
sh**, if your gonna pay 850$ for bad quality armor you might as well look and see how much a FULL set is and not half! $850 Is like 3/4 of a full set paid off (atleast for the ones i see)