"Honor isn't about making the right choices. It's about dealing with the consequences."
                -- Koto Midori

Author Topic: Sword customization ideas  (Read 3166 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Sword customization ideas
« on: 2012-05-17, 16:06:13 »

So I was just looking at A&A's Edward III sword, and saw that they also had a customized version in their gallery. Check these out:

myArmoury review: http://www.myarmoury.com/review_aa_edwardiii.html

A&A's Edward III: http://armor.com/sword157.html

A&A, custom Edward III: http://www.armor.com/heritage001.html

The thing that puzzles me is that last line in the myArmoury review. The reviewer mentions not wanting gold so that he doesn't have to deal with tarnish. He must have been thinking of brass. Gold is inert under almost all natural conditions. You can leave it sitting out in the bottom of the ocean and it will retain its shine. For gold to tarnish and corrode, it needs to have a very porous surface, which is usually only the result of bad casting from molds.

But I digress... :)

This seemed like a pretty cool sword to start from to make a customized piece, and A&A will often work with you if you want something a little non-standard. It's a very beautiful and rich looking 14th century design.

What other customization ideas would seem appealing to you? What could you come up with to make your "dream sword"?
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Bernarr

• Forum Member
Re: Sword customization ideas
« Reply #1 on: 2012-05-17, 17:03:53 »
This is one of my favorite swords-
http://www.knightsedge.com/p-283-steel-hilt-crusader-sword.aspx

If I could afford it, I'd have a custom one based on that, but in a hand-and-a-half size, with my arms engraved on the pommel. The hilt feels good, I seem to like the bare wood hilts to the leather wrapped ones. Damascus would be nice, but it's expensive..

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2012-05-17, 17:24:49 »
with my arms engraved on the pommel.

That's what I was thinking. A&A reproduces the Edward III arms in the pommel with inlaid enamel, and to do that with my arms instead would be freakin' awesome.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #3 on: 2012-05-17, 18:24:10 »
That's what I was thinking. A&A reproduces the Edward III arms in the pommel with inlaid enamel, and to do that with my arms instead would be freakin' awesome.

I agree, that would be epically awesome!  To boot with a good looking historic replica.  ;)
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2012-05-17, 19:00:20 »

With a pattern welded blade.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2012-05-17, 21:07:54 »
I have one of my dream swords already...w/engraved brass cross and pommel, absolutely love it- but I see your point, Sir Edward...and the Edward III sword, to me, is their most attractive.  Not sure I love the grip as I understand it is hexagonal?  Many-sided as opposed to oblong...CAS/Hanwei put one out as well.  Naturally it was not as beautiful, but still a pretty stout sword in its own right.

For me, it'd be a Type XVIa (I just love the look of a well executed fuller) or XVIIIa (they make the best cutters imho) hand-and-a-half, blue grip, white scabbard, black belts, my CoA inlaid on the pommel, oh yes. 

« Last Edit: 2012-05-17, 21:09:37 by Sir William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #6 on: 2012-05-18, 15:00:22 »
I have one of my dream swords already...w/engraved brass cross and pommel, absolutely love it- but I see your point, Sir Edward...and the Edward III sword, to me, is their most attractive.  Not sure I love the grip as I understand it is hexagonal?  Many-sided as opposed to oblong...CAS/Hanwei put one out as well.  Naturally it was not as beautiful, but still a pretty stout sword in its own right.

For me, it'd be a Type XVIa (I just love the look of a well executed fuller) or XVIIIa (they make the best cutters imho) hand-and-a-half, blue grip, white scabbard, black belts, my CoA inlaid on the pommel, oh yes. 

Drool!   ;)
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.