"Do not be tricked into thinking that there are no crocodiles just because the water is still."
                -- Malaysian Proverb

Author Topic: My full current kit  (Read 24029 times)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
Re: My full current kit
« Reply #30 on: 2011-11-28, 21:55:22 »
If it's any help at all, in the workbench section Sir William posted my process of how I did mine.
I'm happy with my maille. It turned out well.  :)
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #31 on: 2011-11-29, 18:29:02 »
I may need some assistance tailoring my maille as I cant even get my hauberk on myself. Time to pester my folks I guess. The most uncomfortable part of my kit is the maille flopping around with excess weight. Just need some butted rings to do it with, then later riveted rings. I may just make the sleeves taper but then I may have MORE trouble putting the thing on.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #32 on: 2011-11-29, 19:01:32 »

Yeah, narrower sleeves will be a little more difficult to put on, but it'll fit a lot better when you're done. Just remember to only take out a little at a time and lace it shut or only use butt-links while test-fitting. The diameter at the elbow has to be large enough to accommodate bending your arm, and it's easy to take out too much there. It's probably safest to do a linear taper from the armpit all the way to the wrist, if they're full-length sleeves.

I think where I ended up on my half-sleeves was roughly about 2" more space than I thought I needed just by pinching it together at the elbow. But I'm just guessing based on memory.

So like I said, don't take out too much on the first attempt.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #33 on: 2011-11-29, 23:24:37 »
Yeah. Getting the measurements right is super important.
And it isn't that much harder to get on, really  :)

BTW, the feel is just so much better, you will wonder how you did anything in your maille once you do it.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 2011-11-30, 15:58:29 »
I need to get to work on this...what with all those spare rings Sir James gave me, shouldn't be too much of an issue.  Just time...and COD:MW3 has been taking up a lot of it.  lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #35 on: 2011-12-01, 05:08:04 »
Now to find a source of butted 9MM links to seal the seams up. Anyone know which one to get? I don't need MANY just a few for the 2 arm seams, also gonna get some riveted ones once I make a more permanent solution.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #36 on: 2011-12-01, 17:00:33 »
I have a whole bag of I believe 8mm links, Ulrich...you're welcome to a good number of them once I'm finished.  Knowing you'd be waiting on them would be the impetus I need to get moving on it.  Let me know.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #37 on: 2011-12-01, 22:26:43 »
Butted links are also very easy to make.  You just go to the hardware store, buy a spool of steel wire (usually used for electric fences and the like) and buy a steel dowel rod of the inner diameter you want, wrap it around tightly in a coil, and then use wire cutters to cut the links free.  It's a cheap way to get bulk butted links.  If you just need the links to temporarily hold closed your maille while you're fitting it for eventual riveting, this is a good way to do it. 

The links don't even need to be the perfect size if just for temporary use.  It's labor intensive, but it works, and it's cheap.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #38 on: 2011-12-01, 22:32:59 »
Butted links are also very easy to make.  You just go to the hardware store, buy a spool of steel wire (usually used for electric fences and the like) and buy a steel dowel rod of the inner diameter you want, wrap it around tightly in a coil, and then use wire cutters to cut the links free.  It's a cheap way to get bulk butted links.  If you just need the links to temporarily hold closed your maille while you're fitting it for eventual riveting, this is a good way to do it. 

The links don't even need to be the perfect size if just for temporary use.  It's labor intensive, but it works, and it's cheap.

I did it this way a long time ago, and had a small wooden jig I made for it, and used my drill (slowwwwwwly) to wind them. I've probably got some "springs" (which is what they come off like) floating around I can send you, Sir Ulrich. I'll check the diameter of them.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
« Reply #39 on: 2011-12-02, 00:25:58 »
Agreed Ian.  Iset up a mandrel and churned out 250 link springs in about 2 minutes.  Add another few minutes to cut them and BAM, you're done!  This link shows you how to get started:
http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=202
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #40 on: 2011-12-02, 02:32:13 »
Well I am gonna get to work on this as soon as I get the rings hopefully in time for wicked faire. Gonna start with butted links then once I get some riveted ones I'll finish it off, only problem, the butted links most likely wont be the same color as the rest of the links, oh well I don't need many either.

Only issue for me is I plan on getting a new gambeson, so wearing this over my current one may not work out. Maybe thats what I'll get for Christmas, a new gambeson, still debating because I think linen is less durable under maille due to the fibers being less tightly woven. My current gambeson is just a tube as well and isn't tailored to the body so it actually works for this kind of maille.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #41 on: 2011-12-02, 03:59:54 »
I did it this way a long time ago, and had a small wooden jig I made for it, and used my drill (slowwwwwwly) to wind them. I've probably got some "springs" (which is what they come off like) floating around I can send you, Sir Ulrich. I'll check the diameter of them.

This shows how crazy I am. I used a 3/8" aluminum rod, 3 feet long, and stuck it in the end of my drill. Then I'd coil the wire onto it, without a jig or anything, just guiding with my hand, and coil the whole 3 foot rod in like 20 seconds. Probably a little dangerous. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #42 on: 2011-12-02, 16:38:51 »
Ulrich, if the butted links are temporary, I wouldn't worry about them matching the links currently in your hauberk- if anything, it'll give it a 'used' look which actually looks better, if you get my meaning.

Also, I wouldn't move forward until you have the gambeson you want to wear underneath it- that way it'll be sized correctly.  Again, I have a big bag of rings, you're welcome to what's left of it once I'm done with my project.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #43 on: 2011-12-05, 01:43:19 »
I had a bunch just sitting around from previous tailoring projects. Got lucky there.
I don't even notice mine. Even though they are completely defferent, doign it the way I did places the seam on the lower inside of your arm, where it's never really seen.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #44 on: 2011-12-05, 13:55:27 »
...doign it the way I did places the seam on the lower inside of your arm, where it's never really seen.

I did the same thing, and my rings don't match exactly, and it's not noticeable unless you inspect my haubergeon up close, and under my arms.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum