"Honor is like an island, rugged and without a beach; once we have left it, we can never return."
                -- Nicholas Boileau

Author Topic: Frog Face helms  (Read 5329 times)

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
Frog Face helms
« on: 2011-10-21, 01:49:14 »
http://www.me.wpi.edu/research/IMDC/IQP%20Website/ArmorPages/Frog-faced%20Helmet-1400s.jpg

Not a very popular helmet, I want one. How do you guys like the style if you never seen before?  What century is this?

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Frog Face helms
« Reply #1 on: 2011-10-21, 03:07:53 »
Looks like a really messed up Sallet. I don't care for it, but then again I'm not much for closed face helmets. The only one I like is the Pig Faced Bascinet. But to each their own.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2011-10-21, 03:31:45 »
Yeah, that looks like a pretty typical 15th century frog-faced jousting helm. Notice how the bottom has holes for bolting it straight onto the breastplate. These were for jousting only, and were designed to be immobile to help save the wearer's neck from pushing the head back with lance impacts.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #3 on: 2011-10-21, 11:42:05 »
that one i believe is late 15th if not early 16th century. for jousting only not for foot combat. made for the style where you have to lean forward to joust.

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #4 on: 2011-10-22, 05:55:49 »
that one i believe is late 15th if not early 16th century. for jousting only not for foot combat. made for the style where you have to lean forward to joust.
Yeah, that looks like a pretty typical 15th century frog-faced jousting helm. Notice how the bottom has holes for bolting it straight onto the breastplate. These were for jousting only, and were designed to be immobile to help save the wearer's neck from pushing the head back with lance impacts.

Hmm i see, do they remake these still or no?

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #5 on: 2011-10-22, 12:36:33 »
oh yes they do. but your looking at a ton of cash. like 1000s for a good one

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2011-10-22, 13:06:56 »
The frogmouth helm was the final evolutionary step of the great helm.  By the end of the 14th century the great helm had mostly been relegated to use exclusively in tournament.  It's shape continues to change with that usage in mind and developed in to the frogmouth of the mid 15th to early 16th century.  If you look at representative great helms from the 13th century on you can see the shape continually get more and more streamlined and go from the typical barrell design to incorporate more and more angled glancing surfaces.

Here's a good read on great helm development:
http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_spot_ghelm.html

Here's a high quality reproduction:
http://wassonartistry.com/armor.php?w=16thjoust
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #7 on: 2011-10-22, 17:44:13 »
oh yes they do. but your looking at a ton of cash. like 1000s for a good one

Oh jesus thats alot for a helm

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: 2011-10-25, 16:31:44 »
Leg, you get what you pay for, remember that- especially with armor.  As quality goes up, so does price.  Are you a member of the Armour Archive?  http://www.armourarchive.com

There are a number of armorers on there who take commissions...it would be worth your while to find out who can do it and what they'd charge for it so you have an idea.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #9 on: 2011-10-28, 00:23:19 »
http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=141191 here is a great bassinet with a frog visor for 500

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2011-10-28, 18:44:58 »
Helmets, gauntlets and cased greaves will be the most important, and more expensive parts of a harness. Frog mouths aren't a common style, so they'll cost quite a bit more than the more common (and easier to make) ones like the great helm or sugarloaf.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #11 on: 2011-10-28, 22:15:18 »
Helmets, gauntlets and cased greaves will be the most important, and more expensive parts of a harness. Frog mouths aren't a common style, so they'll cost quite a bit more than the more common (and easier to make) ones like the great helm or sugarloaf.

Yeah i noticed, theyre rare