"Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. It is courage that counts."
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: Knight Initiation Ritual  (Read 10131 times)

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Sir John of Felsenbau (Ritter Johann von Felsenbau)
  • Forum Follower
Knight Initiation Ritual
« on: 2011-11-12, 16:08:46 »
I found this online, and didn't know if anyone had seen it or if your present ritual is similar.

The Initiation Ritual:

The ceremony would normally be held on the eve of some religious festival, such as Easter or Pentecost and took place in a chapel or a place that housed a holy relic. Any Knight could bestow knighthood on a man, but it was generally considered honorable to be dubbed knight by the hand of some nobleman.

The Vigil:

On the eve of the Knighting, it is customary to give the candidate a vigil. This is a time for reconciliation and prayer. The Vigil shall begin after Vespers (10pm) on a Friday. First the hair was cut seen as a sign of devotion to God. Generally, the cutting of a single lock was considered sufficient. Next he would take a bath to show that he was pure and to wash away all felony and be filled with courtesy, honesty and kindness. He would dress in white as a sign that henceforth he should be kept pure, without sin. A red robe with long sleeves and a hood was then placed over his white tunic, indication that the candidate was now prepared to shed his blood in God's service and the service of his liege-lord. He would fast and pray all night for the purification of his soul. His sword would be placed on the altar.
When dawn came, the priest would hear the young man’s confession, followed by a mass.

The Blessings:

The candidate and his sword would be blessed.

“Bless this sword, we pray, O Lord, and grant our prayers and see fit to bless with the hand of your majesty this sword with which your servant desires to be girt, to the end that he may be a defender of the Church, of widows, of orphans, and of all servants of God, against the cruelty of godless heathens, and that he may be the terror and dread of his enemies, ensuring for him the performance of equitable prosecution and just defense. Amen”.

“Bless this candidate. O Lord, omnipotent father, eternal God, who alone establish and lawfully rule the order of all things: who to put down the malice of reprobates and to defend justice have, by your beneficent disposition, permitted men on earth the use of the sword, and have willed to institute a Chivalric Order for the protection of the people: and who said by way of his blessed John to the soldiers who came to him in the desert that they should do violence to no man, but be content with their pay: we humbly pray that, just as you granted to your child David the power to vanquish Goliath, and as you caused Judas Machabbeus to triumph over the nations who did not call upon your name, so grant, through your heavenly bounty, to this your servant, who comes a new recruit to put his neck under the chivalric yoke, the power and valor to defend the faith and justice, increase him in faith, hope, charity, the fear as well as the love of God, humility, perseverance, obedience and good patience, and direct him lawfully in all things, so that he will never injure anyone unjustly with this or any other sword, and so that, just as he is raised from an inferior station to the new honor of Knighthood, so putting off the old man with his deeds, he will put on the new man, to fear you and render you just worship, to avoid the society of the wicked, to pour out his charity upon his neighbor, to obey the articles of his oath lawfully in all things, and to fulfill his office justly at all times. Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen”

Begging the boon (Asking for the Knighthood to be bestowed)

The Sponsor, usually a Knight, would approach the noble and request that the candidate be knighted. The Noble asks if the candidate is deemed worthy of elevation to the order of chivalry. If the Knight assents, the candidate is called forth.

Herald: “My lord calls forth Sir [___]. Sir [___] begs the boon in the manner that his spirit takes him.

The noble [___]: Sir [___], is this candidate free to take the oath and accept the responsibilities of Knighthood?”

The Sponsor (Sir ___: “Yes my lord, he is.”

The noble [___]: “The candidate shall come forth and kneel before me.”

Charging the candidate:

The noble [___]: “Right mindful of your prowess on the field, and responsive to the wishes of your peers, I am minded to make you a Knight. Know that to wear the belt and chain of a Knight is to hold a sacred trust; that the obligations of Knighthood will demand your efforts every moment of your life.

A knight must be respectful of all religions, never offending the faith of another.

A Knight must respect all those who are weak or defenseless, whether because of age, infirmity, poverty, or vow, and be steadfast in defending them.
A Knight must love his Kingdom and his Province, and fulfill most faithfully his feudal duties to his Baron and King.
His word must be dependable beyond doubt or question. He must never flee from the face of foes. He must be generous to all.

And, always and everywhere, he must be the champion of the right and the good.
The laws and customs of the Kingdom require that a Knight be prow, as you have demonstrated you are in the field; that a Knight be courteous, as you have shown yourself to be and as these noble gentlemen and ladies attest; and that a Knight be loyal to his Kingdom and his society. Do you then desire to accept the burden of Knighthood and swear fealty to the Crown?”

The Candidate [___]: “I accept, my lord.”

The noble [___]: “Then swear fealty and May Homage to the Crown of [___]”

The Candidate [___]: “I hereby swear fealty and do homage to the crown of [___]; to ever be a good Knight and true, reverent and generous, shield of the weak, obedient to my liege-lord, foremost in battle, courteous at all times, champion of the right and good. Thus swear I, [___]”

The noble [___]: “This I hear and shall never forget nor fail to reward that which is given fealty with love service with honor and oath breading with vengeance.”

Bestowing the Tokens of Knighthood:

The Sword:
The noble [___]: “Is there a sword which you will offer in service to your lord?”

Candidate [___]: “Yes, my lord there is, in the safe keeping of your servant, Sir [___]”

The Sponsor [___] girts the candidate while speaking of the symbolism of the Knight’s sword: “One edge to cut to the truth, one edge to administer justice and a scabbard to counsel mercy.”

The belt:
The noble [___]: “Is there a belt?”

Candidate [___]: Yes, my lord, in the safe keeping of your servant, Sir [___].”

The Sponsor [___] places the belt on the Candidate while speaking of the symbolism of the belt:

“The Knight’s white belt symbolizes purity and chastity, that a knight must reign in his body steadfastly, avoiding the scandals of the body: gluttony, sloth, and lechery. Purity of purpose and a new beginning or rebirth to begin again in the steps of the Path of Chivalry.”

The Gold Spurs:

The noble [___]: “Are there spurs?”

Candidate [___]: “Yes, my lord, in the safe keeping of your servant, Sir [___].”

The Sponsor [___] places the spurs at the heels of the candidate while speaking of their symbolism:

â€śAs Knight’s spurs goad the warhorse, so should they goad the Knight to Valor, Service, Diligence and Swiftness. Let the spurs hasten the Knight to his duty that he might maintain his order in the high honor that belongs to it. By precious golden spurs near his feet displays distain for worldly things. They should be worn with honor and discretion lest they be hacked from your heals in shame and disgrace.”

The Cloak (Cape with Coat of Arms):

The noble  [___]: Is there a Cloak with Coat of Arms?”

Candidate [___]: “Yes, my lord, in the safekeeping of your servant, Sir [___].”

The Sponsor [Sir ___] places the Cloak (Cape) - with Coat of Arms - on the Surcoat of the Candidate while speaking of its symbolism:

“Shame fastness or fear of shame. These arms ensure that all might know this Knight from afar, and judge him fair or foul, to ensure obedience to the order of Knighthood. It symbolizes the hardships and travail that a Knight will suffer foremost in battle and always placing his body between his Kingdom and her foes, just as the Surcoat receives any blows, rain, or insult before the armor and body of the knight.”

The Gold Chain:

The noble [___]: “The Candidate has been invested with the trappings of the office of Knighthood. Is there a chain?”

Candidate [___]: “Yes, my lord, in the safe keeping of your servant, Sir [___].”

The Sponsor [___] puts the gold chain around the neck of the Candidate while speaking of it’s symbolism: “The chain of gold, purest of metals to signify purity of the chain of fealty which binds the knight and his lord to one another. The chain is heavy to symbolize and remind the Knight of the heavy responsibility he bears. The chain is strong and runs around the neck of the Knight signifying obedience to the commands of his sovereign and the order of Knighthood. The chain is the unique symbol of the Knights. Pray let your behavior and deeds charge this symbol with as great a reverence and respect as the symbols of our forbearers.”

The Annulet (Gold Ring):

The noble [___]: "Is there an Annulet?"

Candidate  [___]: "Yes, my lord, in the safe keeping of Sir [___]."

The Sponsor [___] puts the gold Annulet on the Candidate's finger while speaking of its symbolism:    "This gold Annulet signifies the marriage of the Candidate to the Order of Knighthood, and as such is bound to its values, duties and obligations."

Dubbing of the Knight:

The noble [___]: “In remembrance of oaths given and received…. (Strikes the right shoulder)…..In remembrance of your lineage and obligations…..(strikes the left shoulder)
…Be thou a good Knight.  Rise, Sir [___].”

The Colee (Buffet)

The Colee was a blow to the neck or chest of the new Knight done either with the flat of the sword or with the clenched hand.

The noble [___]: “We see many Knights gathered before us. We thank you for honoring us with your presence, and would honor you by borrowing a custom from your homeland. We seem to recall that in your lands we would now charge the Candidate: Know, that now that you are made a Knight, that you must succor the defenseless, seek justice for those of every station, and maintain the honor of Knighthood. Let this blow (Colee) remind you that Knighthood shall bring you pain as well as honor.”

The noble delivers the buffet to the Candidate’s chest.
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Motto:  "Perseverantis Vincit Omnia"
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"
      "Crescit Senex est Manditory, Excrescendi est Voluntarium"

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
Re: Knight Initiation Ritual
« Reply #1 on: 2011-11-13, 20:46:27 »
Yes Sir John, that`s basically the one I use when our group does any knightings. Its got everything in it but is short enough not to bore the pants off the MOPs lol.
G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2011-11-14, 21:36:28 »
Thank you for posting this, Sir John. I might borrow a few bits and pieces from it to alter my own upcoming ceremony.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Sir John of Felsenbau (Ritter Johann von Felsenbau)
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #3 on: 2011-11-19, 15:34:39 »
When one is knighted, do they chose a place for the knighting, or does the group chose? Thanks.
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Motto:  "Perseverantis Vincit Omnia"
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"
      "Crescit Senex est Manditory, Excrescendi est Voluntarium"

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2011-11-20, 02:12:36 »
When one is knighted, do they chose a place for the knighting, or does the group chose? Thanks.

So far, the candidates have been able to choose their location, but we've only had 2 locations used so far. I can't speak for the entire group, though I think it would be up to the person being knighted to choose where they want it.

Frater de Beaumanoir

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Romans 13:4
« Reply #5 on: 2011-11-21, 02:07:14 »
Well done for these Brothers. Might I inquire as to how one is selected amongst this esteemed group of chivalrous role models for such distinction?

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2011-11-21, 18:53:58 »
Well done for these Brothers. Might I inquire as to how one is selected amongst this esteemed group of chivalrous role models for such distinction?

We have the guidelines posted on the Order site, but currently going through some hosting and programming changes with it - my fault. :/

The short answer is you need 2 knights to sponsor you as a member of the Order, at which point you become a Yeoman. After 90 days, you become a squire. At that point, you need 3 knights to sponsor you as a knight (2 of those knights can be the same who sponsored you as a Yeoman).

Frater de Beaumanoir

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Romans 13:4
« Reply #7 on: 2011-11-22, 01:59:14 »
Interesting. This would appear to be a group that close geographical ties then, or how does one get sponsored, and what does your various periods of "internship" require?

Any plans for an option for a "Battlefield Knighting" (one that doesn't require the squire's service---just wondering)

I ask this, because you have some interesting concepts here, that I may be able to use in our fraternity of Warrior Monks (of which full Brothers would have been knightly class in most cases). We've adopted a General Chapter voting system from Brethren that are accepted based off of efforts and appearance at events and the like.
« Last Edit: 2011-11-22, 02:05:04 by Frater de Beaumanoir »

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #8 on: 2011-11-22, 14:47:46 »

Yes, basically the rules don't even require the knighting ceremony. We left this open so that knights can choose the manner of their own knighting, as well as to permit us to "fast track" someone in if they're already knighted elsewhere. But since "knight" also means "full voting member", there are parts of the rules that are solid.

Specifically, the membership requirements. We don't require anyone to serve as someone else's squire, but in order to be knighted, the person has to pass through the "yeoman" stage for 90 days (sort of a probationary period to make sure they're still interested and that we all get along), at which point their title changes to squire. As a squire, they're eligible to become a knight of the order. We don't think of "squire" as another knight's servant, but rather as a man-at-arms who has not yet received the accolade.

To become a knight, they must have a completed kit (there's a lot of flexibility here, since whose armor is ever truly "done"?), and be sponsored by 3 existing knights. It's at this point where we can skip the ceremony entirely if the person is already a knight and just wants to be sworn in.

We're not requiring people to be local to us at all. It's just that the group is spreading faster by word of mouth than online, and we've been lucky that the first rounds of knights have been close by.

Are you interested in joining our illustrious Order? In a way it's almost a collection of Knights Errant, so we don't see it as having to be in conflict with any other memberships you may have.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )