"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
                -- Thomas Edison

Author Topic: Medieval movies?  (Read 49293 times)

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Medieval movies?
« Reply #90 on: 2013-08-27, 03:04:49 »
arn the templar. just finished the show. it was awesome.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil"

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #91 on: 2013-08-29, 16:37:59 »
Pillars Of The Earth & World Without End.

Yes, I agree- they did a pretty good job w/the source material.  I loved the books...having read them both multiple times I am always struck by how the author seems to capture the gritty reality of everyday life for the peasantry- the nobility almost take a back seat to the goings-on of the commoners, but without making them seem feeble or weak; the notable exception being when they have no other choice except to submit.  Even then though, there are some who do not accept it lying down- I like that.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Sir John of Felsenbau (Ritter Johann von Felsenbau)
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #92 on: 2013-08-29, 21:27:34 »
Hey, you guys haven't seen my medieval movie yet!

"Sir John and the Rascals of Bihor"
Copyright 1990
Running Time: Approx 90 min.
Color
(Movie Genre: Action/Adventure/Romance)

The movie takes place in the Middle Ages (1528) at a time when the Christians and the Turks were engaged in a series of Holy Wars. Finally peace was achieved and a boundary was agreed with Transylvania as a no-man’s land. During this time one of the few forms of entertainment were the traveling minstrels who rode from town to town telling their stories through music and song.

The story centers on the Margrave (Marquis) of the March (a tract of land along a border of a country) of Banat, adjacent to Transylvania. In honor of this peace, the Margrave holds a festive tournament celebration.

On his way back from the war, a Knight Errant, Sir John, and his two squires pass through Banat. Sir John finds himself smitten by the Margrave’s daughter who talks him into staying for the tournament. But the romance is cut short when she is abducted by one of the henchmen of the evil Baron von Bihor, and taken deep into Transylvania to his castle. The Margrave dare not send troops to rescue her and destroy the peace, but Sir John vows to bring her back.

Little does he know that he must defeat not only the Baron’s guards and knights, but also the Black Magic of the Baron’s evil Wizardess. What can one man hope to achieve against such odds? Is his doom written in stone?

« Last Edit: 2013-08-29, 21:35:16 by Sir John of Felsenbau »
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Motto:  "Perseverantis Vincit Omnia"
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"
      "Crescit Senex est Manditory, Excrescendi est Voluntarium"

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #93 on: 2013-08-30, 14:13:33 »
Sir John, that sounds like a very interesting storyline, and looks like you're having fun making it too. Some of us will get to see it at your knighting.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Sir John of Felsenbau (Ritter Johann von Felsenbau)
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #94 on: 2013-08-30, 20:50:40 »
My good lords,

Don't forget, if you get the bug...I have a script and costumes ready to make another medieval movie.

Sir John
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Motto:  "Perseverantis Vincit Omnia"
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"
      "Crescit Senex est Manditory, Excrescendi est Voluntarium"

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #95 on: 2013-09-16, 22:46:28 »
ive never heard of that war, although I do remember hearing something about teutonic knights being stationed in transylvania mid 15th.
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

LionPride32

• New Forum Member
« Reply #96 on: 2013-11-13, 03:45:54 »
Hey gents.

One of my absolute favorite Medieval movies is Ridley Scott's "Robin Hood". Forget the Kevin Costner version, its kinda classic but just feels outdated (no pun). "Kingdom of Heaven" is AMAZING!! Alas, I only have the theatrical version but I'm getting the DC soon. I have both seasons of "Rome", haven't watched them yet.... Also, BRAVEHEART!! And I,ll admit a guilty pleasure...."Game of Thrones"....and "Robin Hood: Men in tights" of course.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #97 on: 2013-11-13, 21:33:59 »
Hey gents.

One of my absolute favorite Medieval movies is Ridley Scott's "Robin Hood". Forget the Kevin Costner version, its kinda classic but just feels outdated (no pun). "Kingdom of Heaven" is AMAZING!! Alas, I only have the theatrical version but I'm getting the DC soon. I have both seasons of "Rome", haven't watched them yet.... Also, BRAVEHEART!! And I,ll admit a guilty pleasure...."Game of Thrones"....and "Robin Hood: Men in tights" of course.

since you love game of thrones...
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

LionPride32

• New Forum Member
« Reply #98 on: 2013-11-13, 21:43:10 »
LOL heheh Once I saw Ros (hedheaded whore) I was hooked.

Sir Nate

• Nathan
  • Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #99 on: 2013-11-15, 23:09:35 »
I found National treasure(although only makes reference to templars and shows some to be enjoyable, actually I loved it.)
Nathan Phillip Max
Knight of the Order

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #100 on: 2013-11-18, 20:19:29 »
Nate, if you liked National Treasure, you might also like the The Librarian: Quest for the Spear (of Longinus).  I didn't think I would like it since it wasn't a flashy A-lister Hollywood blockbuster but its a pretty neat franchise of three movies thus far, QfS was the first one, followed by The Librarian: Return to King Solomon's Mines and ends with The Librarian: Curse of the Judas Chalice.  The stories are rather formulaic but its pretty well written and the casting is reasonably well done.  I would love to work in a library like the one seen in these movies; these were good enough to buy and add to the movie library at home.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #101 on: 2013-11-19, 07:26:43 »
Thought y'all might like this: A lighthearted critique of the issues in Ironclad from a guy who was almost its historic consultant.

Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #102 on: 2013-11-19, 14:48:05 »

I love the fact that he pointed out that the whole town was missing from the movie. We all know castles were just parked out in the middle of nowhere, and held strategic value in a complete vacuum, right? ;)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #103 on: 2013-11-19, 15:03:32 »
I imagine the set would've had to be built a good deal bigger to incorporate a town; still in all, I liked this movie.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #104 on: 2013-11-19, 15:05:13 »
I imagine the set would've had to be built a good deal bigger to incorporate a town; still in all, I liked this movie.

Those scenes were all pasted together in a computer anyway. No set needed. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )