"I think that more Knights are made on the school-ground than on the battle field."
                ---Benjamin Disraeli

Author Topic: Medieval movies?  (Read 48948 times)

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Sir John of Felsenbau (Ritter Johann von Felsenbau)
  • Forum Follower
Re: Medieval movies?
« Reply #60 on: 2012-05-11, 16:30:06 »
Well, if we film only with those near a central point...that would be good. Like I said, with a minimum of actors that could be accomplished. Then the actual filming...maybe one or two separate days...not all on each day. I have experience making movies...I've made 8 of them. Whenever I have made movies, the actors always ham it up and ad lib...makes it fun...and interesting...like adding spice to a dish.

I don't know if any of you have heard of the old western: "Have gun will travel?" I grew up with it, and it seems it still is very popular today. I managed to get DVDs of all 6 seasons. And I still like them.

Paladin would be my choice as the main star...I'd call him Sir Palidor, which it seems was in use back then and derived from Charlegmagne's Paladins. The qualities of the western Paladin really seem like a real knight, that's why I'd like to base it on his character, only back in the middle ages.

I'm choosing Scotland for his home place...actually the western Paladin lived at the Carelton Hotel in San Fransico, and there is also one in Edinburgh.

Being from Felsenbau (german for Roxborough...and Roxborough getting it's name from one of the early settlers who came from Roxburgh, Scotland, naming his estate "Roxburgh" and the city taking that name but changed it to Roxsborough, which is also another spelling in Scotland for the site.)

Think that's all I'll post for now.

Sir John
« Last Edit: 2012-05-11, 16:32:52 by Sir John of Felsenbau »
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Motto:  "Perseverantis Vincit Omnia"
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"
      "Crescit Senex est Manditory, Excrescendi est Voluntarium"

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #61 on: 2012-05-11, 16:41:30 »
Paladin...that's me.  :)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #62 on: 2012-05-11, 18:51:49 »

I remember Roxborough, up there in Philadelphia. We used to live there briefly back in the '70s. On Shalkop street.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #63 on: 2012-05-11, 19:20:42 »

I live in Reno's twin city Sparks here in Nevada if you need me. The Donner Party Happened not 30 miles from here. Lake Tahoe or Virginia City is a 45 min drive away.

-Ivan
« Last Edit: 2012-05-11, 19:22:46 by RauttSkegg »
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #64 on: 2012-05-13, 16:31:48 »
PLus, if there were knights fighting knights in the movie, we'd need a large cast. But in the "Have Gun Will Travel" one episode was the monster of Cream Ridge....so a monster would really cut down on the cast. I have quite a few twists in the screenplay I'm working on.
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #65 on: 2012-05-14, 14:07:34 »
Well, if we film only with those near a central point...that would be good. Like I said, with a minimum of actors that could be accomplished. Then the actual filming...maybe one or two separate days...not all on each day. I have experience making movies...I've made 8 of them. Whenever I have made movies, the actors always ham it up and ad lib...makes it fun...and interesting...like adding spice to a dish.

I don't know if any of you have heard of the old western: "Have gun will travel?" I grew up with it, and it seems it still is very popular today. I managed to get DVDs of all 6 seasons. And I still like them.

Paladin would be my choice as the main star...I'd call him Sir Palidor, which it seems was in use back then and derived from Charlegmagne's Paladins. The qualities of the western Paladin really seem like a real knight, that's why I'd like to base it on his character, only back in the middle ages.

I'm choosing Scotland for his home place...actually the western Paladin lived at the Carelton Hotel in San Fransico, and there is also one in Edinburgh.

Being from Felsenbau (german for Roxborough...and Roxborough getting it's name from one of the early settlers who came from Roxburgh, Scotland, naming his estate "Roxburgh" and the city taking that name but changed it to Roxsborough, which is also another spelling in Scotland for the site.)

Think that's all I'll post for now.

Sir John

That is an interesting starting point Sir John, I like the idea. I wonder if you can make a story line set in the Renaissance, with Knights in action?  ;)

PLus, if there were knights fighting knights in the movie, we'd need a large cast. But in the "Have Gun Will Travel" one episode was the monster of Cream Ridge....so a monster would really cut down on the cast. I have quite a few twists in the screenplay I'm working on.

That is a nice Idea!  Do you have a dragon in mind?  (I'm thinking you could come up with a story line that involves dragon-slaying  ;))
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #66 on: 2012-05-15, 16:11:51 »

Unless you focused on one-on-one duels, then you wouldn't need as many.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #67 on: 2012-05-15, 17:48:49 »
Unless you focused on one-on-one duels, then you wouldn't need as many.

Agreed
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #68 on: 2012-05-19, 13:53:24 »
Well, I have an outline on the movie...the monster (not a monster at all, but someone effected by the black plague.) I researched the plaGUE, AND BACK THEN 4% WERE IMMUNE AND ONLY ABOUT 75% WHO GOT IT DIED. Sorry bout the caps...hit the wrong button. The time I chose was about 1369.  About 4 years after the black plaquge hit Scotland. of course we need someone bad..so one knight has to be. It's also the time after the Knights Templar were condemed by the church...the only place they couldn't be touched was Scotland...and they were tipped off just before that Friday the 13th (That's where the day got it's bad name from...today) and they took their treasure with them and burried it in places in Scotland...so that comes into my movie...plus like "A Knight's Tale"...just so happens that at that time...Geoffery Chauser was a Squire! (so I'll move min north a bit to be at the Carelton Hotel.) So: the hero knight, a good knight, a bad knight, the monster and a very short bit part for Chaucer. Think I can do it with that.

That's the update.

Sir John
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #69 on: 2012-05-19, 14:35:00 »
Excellent!  That sounds awesome!  I think would turn out to be something amazing.   ;)
Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #70 on: 2012-05-19, 14:46:09 »
I'm working on dialogue and shields/surcoats right now. The bad knight (ficticious name and coat of arms) will know that in Sawlyer's Cave (really exists above Roxburgh) is part of the Templar's treasure and wants the Ogre killed so he can get the treasure for himself. As it turns out, the Ogre is really the good knight's father who led his group of knights to attack England in 1360, just when England was hit with the plague,. It was those knights (really) who brought the plague to Scotland. There also was a Roxburgh Manor, and I found out the Lord's coat of arms, which also will be used in the movie, since the Manor House was the only large mansion in Roxburgh. (By the way, archeologists and historians say that the cave mentioned led to Sawyler's Mansion as an escape route, since the area was on the border between England and Scotland and was always having battles there.) The Ogre and the good knight (his son) rejoice at finding each other and the treasure is used to help rebuild the town from all the battles. And they live happily ever after!

Sir John
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #71 on: 2012-06-04, 21:42:05 »
I'm going to move all the stuff on the movie on it's own thread.

Sir John
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #72 on: 2012-06-05, 18:37:40 »
I'm working on dialogue and shields/surcoats right now. The bad knight (ficticious name and coat of arms) will know that in Sawlyer's Cave (really exists above Roxburgh) is part of the Templar's treasure and wants the Ogre killed so he can get the treasure for himself. As it turns out, the Ogre is really the good knight's father who led his group of knights to attack England in 1360, just when England was hit with the plague,. It was those knights (really) who brought the plague to Scotland. There also was a Roxburgh Manor, and I found out the Lord's coat of arms, which also will be used in the movie, since the Manor House was the only large mansion in Roxburgh. (By the way, archeologists and historians say that the cave mentioned led to Sawyler's Mansion as an escape route, since the area was on the border between England and Scotland and was always having battles there.) The Ogre and the good knight (his son) rejoice at finding each other and the treasure is used to help rebuild the town from all the battles. And they live happily ever after!

Interesting plot and it is quite an original story line. Excellent indeed!   ;D
Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #73 on: 2012-06-22, 22:12:13 »
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #74 on: 2012-06-23, 04:58:39 »
My cousin and I just finished watching Rome, all 22 episodes.  What a spectacular show on a grand scale...they strove for authenticity in everything, and it showed.

KoH: Director's Cut is much better than the version they play on cable tv...makes much more sense and flows better.

13th Warrior: great movie in my book, same with Knight's Tale...they're just good swashbuckling style movies.

Might I also recommend, pre-medieval:

Spartacus: Blood and Sand
Spartacus: Gods of the Arena (prequel)

If you liked the movie 300, you're gonna love this show.  The kill shots are freakin AWESOME, and the fighting is suitably visceral.

Named some of my favorites. Kingdom of Heaven (Director's cut), I watch repeatedly.  Love it!!  Knight's Tale, good storybook depiction. 300, graphic & gore.  Awesome!!  History Channel's "Templars in America" series has me hooked.  I miss "The Warrior" series.  Spartacus gets thumbs up too!!!  I like the 'Game of Thrones" series if you haven't seen it.

"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)