Author Topic: Flails  (Read 7668 times)

Leganoth

• Forum Follower

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Flails
« Reply #1 on: 2011-10-01, 10:51:32 »
I prefer the war hammer over the flail or mace, but to each his own. There are a number of companies that carry flails, so just poke around a bit and I'm sure you will find another you like.

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #2 on: 2011-10-01, 15:04:47 »
Please be careful of the really cheap flails, unless you just want to hang them on your wall.  I bought a cheap double-ball flail years ago, took it outside (thankfully), and gave a go at a stump.  One of the balls flew off into the woods.   :o  Thank goodness no one got hurt!
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-10-01, 18:24:28 »
It says CAS/Hanwei, so you might be able to contact them directly and see if they have any distributors who are still selling them, or if you can buy from them (CAS/Hanwei) directly.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #4 on: 2011-10-01, 20:09:21 »
Please be careful of the really cheap flails, unless you just want to hang them on your wall.  I bought a cheap double-ball flail years ago, took it outside (thankfully), and gave a go at a stump.  One of the balls flew off into the woods.   :o  Thank goodness no one got hurt!

The only battle ready ones i found arent pleasing to the eye, i dont want 2 or 3 balled those are just dumb, i want a morning star flail not a skull ball with 4 spikes

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #5 on: 2011-10-01, 20:09:34 »
It says CAS/Hanwei, so you might be able to contact them directly and see if they have any distributors who are still selling them, or if you can buy from them (CAS/Hanwei) directly.

I will try and do that

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #6 on: 2011-10-03, 22:33:25 »
Apologies as all of our flails & maces have been discontinued & sold out for several years now & i do not know of anyone who would still have one in stock.

Customer Service

What a dissapointment!!!

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #7 on: 2011-10-03, 22:52:14 »
freakin liars look what i found and its not discontinued  http://www.realarmorofgod.com/store/html/Products/Historical-Weapons/Hanwei-Morning-Star-Fla-535.html   same company too

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #8 on: 2011-10-03, 23:23:40 »
They sell some decent ones here http://www.kultofathena.com/maces.asp
Not the same as the one you linked but they look realistic enough, same price range too.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 2011-10-04, 18:54:37 »

The only battle ready ones i found arent pleasing to the eye, i dont want 2 or 3 balled those are just dumb, i want a morning star flail not a skull ball with 4 spikes

If one of the non-battle ready ones (read: wall hangers / cheap ones) loses the ball and it hits you in the eye, you may find a whole different appreciation for things that are or are not pleasing to the eye. :)

While I am joking, extreme caution is something that can't be emphasized enough with something attached to a chain.

Apologies as all of our flails & maces have been discontinued & sold out for several years now & i do not know of anyone who would still have one in stock.

Customer Service

What a dissapointment!!!
freakin liars look what i found and its not discontinued  http://www.realarmorofgod.com/store/html/Products/Historical-Weapons/Hanwei-Morning-Star-Fla-535.html   same company too

Two things to consider: discontinued and sold out means the supplier does not have any. It doesn't mean their distributors might not have some sitting on a shelf somewhere. The other is that websites don't always show a product out of stock, even when it is; I've ordered medieval stuff that is "in stock" on the website and received an email saying "this item is backordered 6-8 weeks". I've seen backorders over 3 months long *after ordering something listed as in available* - and I'm talking already made items, not custom hand-made production items - and it's possible that you could order that and be told "sorry, we can't get any more and they are sold out" ... or they might have it. I hope they'll have it and you can buy it. :)

Best bet is to call or email that site directly and see. CAS/Hanwei and Paul Chen are both well known names/makers, and they have more than a couple distributors. The maker's information (In this case, Hanwei/Chen) is only as good as the information provided by their resellers.

This, along with Mercenary's Tailor going out of business, does illustrate the point that if you want something, best to get it while you can. Businesses going away or products getting discontinued seems to be an all-time-high from the 15 years I've bookmarked and drooled over things I wanted but didn't (and generally couldn't) buy at the time. :(
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #10 on: 2011-10-06, 16:21:09 »
Try John Barnett items for more authentic looking, reasonably priced arms.
I have one of his war hammers and a flail and am very pleased with them.
http://www.bladesandbows.co.uk/flail-1-ball-91-p.asp
http://www.bladesandbows.co.uk/axes-and-hammers-67-c.asp
G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: 2011-10-06, 19:26:37 »

Real Armor of God is still open?  I seem to recall them closing down at one point...and if in fact they DO have it, count on it being old stock.  If CAS/H hasn't made any in years and that's the brand RAoG is carrying, stands to reason its old stock.  I'd email them to make certain they actually have it.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #12 on: 2011-10-06, 22:34:55 »

Real Armor of God is still open?  I seem to recall them closing down at one point...and if in fact they DO have it, count on it being old stock.  If CAS/H hasn't made any in years and that's the brand RAoG is carrying, stands to reason its old stock.  I'd email them to make certain they actually have it.
[/quote]

I will email them it says its instock but ill do it just incase but i will order it in the next 2 weeks or so

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: 2011-10-07, 16:20:35 »
Keep us posted, Leg...I used to peruse their site religiously (pun intended) some years back but then all of a sudden their site was down and all of their items were out of stock.  It was weird...and I would still contact them to see what they have.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #14 on: 2012-03-25, 07:18:59 »
never got around to ordering that flail, emailed them twice. never got a reply. Can anyone help find the hanwei morning star flail? found a few places but not sure about the site or its out of stock