"Our own heart, and not other men's opinion, forms our true honor."
                -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Author Topic: A truly sad day - Mercenary's Tailor is closed  (Read 16266 times)

Sir Patrick

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Nex pro inhonesto, Deus pro totus.
    • The Order of the Marshal
Re: A truly sad day - Mercenary's Tailor is closed
« Reply #15 on: 2011-09-29, 14:45:44 »
This is sad news indeed. Allan, my thoughts are with you during this tough time.
Gules, a chevron argent between three cinquefoils ermine.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand as a lamb."
Knight, Order of the Marshal

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #16 on: 2011-09-29, 15:22:26 »
I read the thread on myArmoury yesterday.   :'(

As I've said before, he's a man who stands behind his word and his work.  This, in my opinion, is what set him apart.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2011-09-29, 17:54:17 »
Agreed...and while he and I were not fast friends, I had a healthy respect for him as an individual and as an armorer...I've had a couple of multi-part commissions with him and both of them turned out exactly as they should have, as well as advertised.  Kinda makes me wonder if I should have let that first set of bracers and greaves go like I did.  I was going to sell my other set and have him make me up some new ones but I think I'll just hold what I have now.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 2011-09-30, 03:12:29 »
Ok found a pic of what I want http://www.outfit4events.com/knee-cops-p-7339.html
Something like that, that would fit in the 13th century.

You could try the "soupcan" knees and elbows from Mad Matts Armory - http://www.madmattsarmory.com/ - they look identical.
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #19 on: 2011-09-30, 13:08:27 »
Please note, on Matts site it says " No New Orders ". Matt shut it down because of the economy last year. He's working off his que and I think occasionally selling a few stock pieces but thats fairly recent.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2011-09-30, 13:31:31 »
Matt's selling instruction manuals now, on how to make the armor like he does.  I just saw that you've put all of your tools on ebaY, Allan...wishing never did any good but I wish it did not come to this.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Allan Senefelder

• Forum Follower
« Reply #21 on: 2011-09-30, 13:53:41 »
Whats for sale are the tools I will not need to finish outstanding work. When I have completed outstanding commisions the rest will go as I will very much need the money.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 2011-09-30, 23:53:30 »
Please note, on Matts site it says " No New Orders ". Matt shut it down because of the economy last year. He's working off his que and I think occasionally selling a few stock pieces but thats fairly recent.

I know he has taken a few random orders, and he had posted in a thread about "minimum orders" and said he has a $500 minimum order. I'm not sure how many orders he takes, but it's at least a couple. I don't think it's his full-time job, though.

Matt's selling instruction manuals now, on how to make the armor like he does.  I just saw that you've put all of your tools on ebaY, Allan...wishing never did any good but I wish it did not come to this.

Whats for sale are the tools I will not need to finish outstanding work. When I have completed outstanding commisions the rest will go as I will very much need the money.

Post links to the tools auctions here too, please. I might make a bid or two on them, if you're selling your tools and leaving armoring completely I'd like to pick up some of them so I can try to make tweaks and adjustments to some of my gear since it doesn't sound as if you'll be able to. I'd rather get them from you and help you out of the situation you're, rather than buy from some random chinese company.

I was hopeful you'd hang on to the tools and down the road consider revisiting armoring at higher rates and as "spare time" work, but selling the tools makes me think it's not likely. :(
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #23 on: 2011-10-01, 00:56:35 »
Great, thats a pain everywhere that sells custom plate armor is no longer in business. Guess I'll downgrade my kit to 1100s then. Theres no way I'm going to order plate thats NOT going to fit me or is going to be ill fitting. Beginning to wish I made the order for that stuff...

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #24 on: 2011-10-01, 10:55:38 »
Great, thats a pain everywhere that sells custom plate armor is no longer in business. Guess I'll downgrade my kit to 1100s then. Theres no way I'm going to order plate thats NOT going to fit me or is going to be ill fitting. Beginning to wish I made the order for that stuff...

Illusion Armory makes fitted plate and does do some custom work. They have a pretty long wait time, but prices are reasonable and they are a pleasure to work with. That was who did my Peascod Breast and Back. I guess I'll have to see what if they can make me an Almain Collar and what it would cost. Since seeing them on Allan's site I really liked the look and wanted one. I just couldn't seem to scrape the cash together to order it.

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #25 on: 2011-10-02, 09:34:52 »
Do they offer simple knee cops? I notice a lot of places sell legs at good prices but thats not exactly what I'm looking for. If not maybe I'll just go for the archer's knees or whatever and modify it a bit (if thats even possible). The more I look at plate the more I want it which is really.... tempting me.

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #26 on: 2011-10-02, 11:28:17 »
They have archer knees and various full legs, but I did not see knee cops. They do custom work and those are relatively simple pieces to make so if you contact them I'm sure you could work something out. Here is their website: http://illusionarmoring.com/. Plate armor is cool and all the cool Knights are getting some (tempt, tempt, tempt)  ;)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #27 on: 2011-10-03, 00:36:01 »
They do sell cops, but they got the wings, I sorta want a more, Simple design without the wings. Dunno how to get that at this rate, may have to write a custom letter or whatever to ask for them, as the design I want is not that complicated at all, the soupcan stuff is sorta what I am pushing for too bad matt's armory isnt taking orders... Still not sure what sort of knee cops were common in the 1200s/early 1300s.

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #28 on: 2011-10-03, 05:18:19 »
They do sell cops, but they got the wings, I sorta want a more, Simple design without the wings. Dunno how to get that at this rate, may have to write a custom letter or whatever to ask for them, as the design I want is not that complicated at all, the soupcan stuff is sorta what I am pushing for too bad matt's armory isnt taking orders... Still not sure what sort of knee cops were common in the 1200s/early 1300s.

I actually found that site today, great prices! Nice looks too, but those archers cops do look very nice, i like the wings you shoud get them