"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play, but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache."
                -- Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Author Topic: Looking for leg armor  (Read 12599 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Looking for leg armor
« Reply #15 on: 2011-09-18, 23:09:30 »
I second Allan at MercTailor. I have a set of his plate greaves; I'd take pics to show the quality of the work, but I just sent them out earlier this week for tweaking to be attached as a single-piece thigh to ankles leg harness. At his price, they're an absolute steal, and I can't stress that enough. He was not doing any custom work the last I spoke with him, but he has one of the widest varieties of "off the rack" armor I have seen; it is sized to your measurements, so "off the rack" simply meaning "stock patterns" and no custom work.

I only saw like 5 things on the catalog though

Check around some of the armorers. Some of them only do 14th century, or 16th, or 15th, or soupcan knees/3pc/5pc, some who do arms/legs don't do body armor, some who do limbs & body don't do helms. The exception being if it's an online store that simply resells stuff made in India/Pakistan or a few of the large overseas producers. Allan has a great variety considering that it's all hand-made and all made by him/his employees.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #16 on: 2011-09-18, 23:12:16 »
you need to do some more searching on the site, i think you may have only been to one page.

also, allan doesn't make true cased greaves that i know of, his have articulations at the top

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #17 on: 2011-09-19, 03:54:27 »
you need to do some more searching on the site, i think you may have only been to one page.

also, allan doesn't make true cased greaves that i know of, his have articulations at the top

Uhhh, this site only has 12 items under legs >_<  http://www.merctailor.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=26

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #18 on: 2011-09-19, 11:36:22 »
ok. u said like 5 for the site. he has 12 different legs, thats pretty good for a armourer.

but as you said you were looking for crusades so mail is what your legs would have been covered in. maybe padded chausis and simple knee cops. at most :}

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #19 on: 2011-09-19, 12:42:12 »

Just don't wear sabatons without greaves. That would look silly. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2011-09-20, 19:17:00 »
There's a lot of things out there that would look silly paired (or not) up.  I once saw a guy wearing mail under a padded gambeson.  That's like wearing your smallclothes on the outside.  lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #21 on: 2011-09-20, 19:40:11 »
There's a lot of things out there that would look silly paired (or not) up.  I once saw a guy wearing mail under a padded gambeson.  That's like wearing your smallclothes on the outside.  lol

Actually that was sometimes done. But yeah, I think it's silly too. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 2011-09-20, 21:20:07 »

Uhhh, this site only has 12 items under legs >_<  http://www.merctailor.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=26

That's because he makes all of them. If you find a site with more, there is a 99% chance they are just reselling someone else's stuff - most likely GDFB or India/Pakistan armor, which is "one size fits you, or you modify it yourself". I haven't seen an armorer with prices like MercTailor and the diversity he has who makes all their own stuff, and I've had armor for 15 years. Just some friendly advice to try to save you wasting money on things that probably won't fit well and you'll end up replacing. :)

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #23 on: 2011-09-20, 22:18:08 »

Hmm  i see, im probably going to get the legs for 277 $

That's because he makes all of them. If you find a site with more, there is a 99% chance they are just reselling someone else's stuff - most likely GDFB or India/Pakistan armor, which is "one size fits you, or you modify it yourself". I haven't seen an armorer with prices like MercTailor and the diversity he has who makes all their own stuff, and I've had armor for 15 years. Just some friendly advice to try to save you wasting money on things that probably won't fit well and you'll end up replacing. :)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 2011-09-21, 05:07:49 »
Hmm  i see, im probably going to get the legs for 277 $

One of my favorite styles! :)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 2011-09-21, 16:03:01 »
Leganoth, as Sir James said, if you see a plethora of armor, especially of differing styles, chances are you're looking at a reseller's site, not a manufacturer.  I can also personally vouch for Allan's wares as I had two sets of vambraces and greaves, as well as a gorget and spaulders...all well made and durable.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #26 on: 2011-09-22, 05:01:36 »
Jolly knight also offers sabatons at custom sizes as well. Relatively reasonable too as it will be fitted to your body. They run for 150 which is within your budget as well.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #27 on: 2011-09-22, 11:58:24 »
If you're doing 15th century, lower legs weren't always armoured. Good way to get around the expensive greave

ummm no i do not support this hehehe i have seen more greaves alone than full legs without greaves.

While it may be very uncommon, I have seen dipictions of that style of armouring. It isn't the best representation of what was typically done, but it did happen. + you save about 1000$

ummm no i do not support this hehehe i have seen more greaves alone than full legs without greaves.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux