Main > The Round Table

Discussion: Modern Chivalry Dead?

<< < (4/5) > >>

Sir Christopher Warren:

--- Quote ---
--- Quote from: James Anderson III
I have one grievous disagreement with that article, in that the author says

[quote ---Each woman must be judged worthy or unworthy of such treatment on her own merits, and in the absence of any information, the assumption must be that she is unworthy.
--- End quote ---

Bollocks, to put it politely. If we go forth assuming every woman is unworthy of being treated as an equal, and that they aren't entitled to chivalrous actions (and even common courtesy) simply because they have an interest in being independent and/or having a career, then we, as a society, have truly failed beyond words.

--- End quote ---

Very well said Sir. I agree 100%. Independence does not justify in any way rudeness or uncivilized and unchivalrous behavior.

Sir Brian:

--- Quote ---Each woman must be judged worthy or unworthy of such treatment on her own merits, and in the absence of any information, the assumption must be that she is unworthy
--- End quote ---
I would emphatically state just the opposite was true! In the absence of any information the assumption must be that they are worthy! Once more it should be applied to everyone you meet until they have shown themselves to be unworthy.

Sir Edward:
Right, everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt and a certain level of respect until they have proved otherwise. Especially in modern society where we respect the concept of "innocent until proven guilty". If we were to treat everyone poorly until we got to know them better, well... we wouldn't get to know very many people at all. :)

Sir William:
Sir Edward has a point...if we were to adopt such a concept as being an ideal that society should aspire to (which it does, to a certain degree, article as proof) then we would in effect become singular isolationists...because beyond our small circle, who would we deem worthy and appropriate?  Almost no one.  That would be a shame.

Sir Christopher Warren:
I think the key word here is respect, which I believe is a quintessential part of chivalry. Respect that extends past just good manners and on to what was first born on an old battlefield. Respect your enemies as much as your friends. It was a respect that recognized your adversaries as fellow human and fellow warrior.

I think that philosophy would extend well in this instance, where there is clearly a difference in opinion on how one should conduct themselves in society. At the very least the person with the opposing view is clearly still worthy of our respect.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version