"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment."
                -- Marcus Aurelius (121 - 180)

Author Topic: the Eagle  (Read 5870 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: the Eagle
« Reply #1 on: 2010-11-12, 15:52:00 »
I'm not a big Channing Tatum fan...in what I've seen him in (Fighting, G.I. Joe, Dear John) he's just ok, definitely not leading man quality, not yet.  But, since it is about the Roman saga, I'll probably watch it anyway.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2011-08-02, 15:41:48 »
Ok, I saw this a couple of weeks ago...it wasn't half bad.  Dealt with the fabled 'lost' Roman legion, the 9th...this is the third movie in the last few years that has tackled this particular story. 

The Last Legion, starring Colin Firth
Centurion, starring Michael Fassbender

And this one.  Centurion is the best of the three...I would say that Last Legion is 2nd, if only because they wove in the Excalibur/Arthurian thread which made me pay more attention.

All in all, this was an entertaining movie to watch, with decent action/fight sequences and decent acting; the armor was not horrible...the weapons were attractive to my eye.  I like the difference in look and aspect of the weapons and armor between the indigenous Picts and the invading Romans.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #3 on: 2011-09-06, 16:50:07 »
We watched this last night and I agree with Sir Williams view. It was a little better than I expected, and we enjoyed watching the whole thing. After buying and watching "Clash of Empires" and nearly being sick in my mouth after seeing the first 5 minutes of it. :o

G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2011-09-06, 17:13:11 »
Clash of Empires? That sounds like it should be good...what made it bad?  I've never even heard of it.

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #5 on: 2011-09-06, 17:31:48 »
Clash of Empires? That sounds like it should be good...what made it bad?  I've never even heard of it.

Everything, don`t ever watch it unless you get it for free !!!  ;)
G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2011-09-06, 19:21:49 »
Goodness...thank you for the warning!  I count my time more precious than money...you can always make money, but time you cannot get back.