"He that respects himself is safe from others; he wears a coat of mail that none can pierce."
                -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Author Topic: Got my chausses and 13th century underwear package  (Read 14668 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Got my chausses and 13th century underwear package
« Reply #15 on: 2011-08-24, 22:17:33 »
Just gonna keep it white for now, the undershirt as well. Next goal is to get a nice tunic to wear over so I have a full soft kit. preferably in red or something. I may get another set of chausses too, they sold burgundy and black ones which I assume are red and black which are my heraldry colors. Suits me more IMO cause they look so damn cool together. Still wish I had period correct black hobnail boots as well as a nice red period ring belt. Was thinking of the one here in red http://www.wintertreecrafts.com/leather.html
That would look good with my stuff, the coat of plates there is also tempting lol.

John

• New Forum Member
  • I'm fairly new here
    • My personal website
« Reply #16 on: 2011-08-25, 08:42:23 »
Ha! We looking at the same places. I also rather fancy their coat of plates. Can anyone comment on the suitability of 18 gauge mild steel as being suitable for torso armour? I've lent out my Battle of Wisby book http://www.amazon.com/Armour-Battle-Wisby-Bengt-Thordeman/dp/1891448056/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314261793&sr=8-1, which has a bunch of measurements.

As for the shoes, the thinner soles of medieval footwear make it much easier to emulate the stances of the ancient fight books. Read the following article http://www.thearma.org/essays/historical-footwear.html for more about how footwear affects the way we fight.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-25, 08:43:50 by John »

James Barker

• Forum Member
    • Historic Life
« Reply #17 on: 2011-08-25, 13:02:23 »
Can anyone comment on the suitability of 18 gauge mild steel as being suitable for torso armour?

In SCA fighting it dents but you can hammer it back. If you are reenacting and have maille and padding under it is perfect. I have recently put together my own #1 Wisby kit; with a harbor freight shear,
Roper Whitney 5JR punch, and a belt sander it took only a few hours. Made it with a linen shell. (need to take pictures)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #18 on: 2011-08-25, 13:42:47 »
yeah you do you goof

John

• New Forum Member
  • I'm fairly new here
    • My personal website
« Reply #19 on: 2011-08-25, 17:40:41 »
Thanks for the report, when the time comes I'll ask for thicker, better, steel.

James Barker

• Forum Member
    • Historic Life
« Reply #20 on: 2011-08-26, 12:16:45 »
I have a 16g CoP I have used for years for SCA, no dents, but I find it too heavy. I am going to use the 18g from here on.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 2011-08-26, 15:08:55 »
Sir James, you're rather large and strong...if you find it heavy, I'm certain I will.  I think 18ga for a CoP is perfectly ok, so long as you've got padding and mail, or lots of padding w/out mail underneath.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #22 on: 2011-08-26, 18:01:01 »
I concur with James.  In fact, my current SCA coat of plates actually has hidden plastic plates for that very same reason!  (Please don't hate me)  I'm not getting any younger and the weight difference is huge.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #23 on: 2011-08-26, 18:40:01 »

I really don't mind cheating on materials most of the time. We don't have the opportunity to practice in our armor for hours every day, and thus stay in the same kind of shape that historical knights would have. Comfortable armor is a good thing. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 2011-08-26, 19:29:38 »
I remember when the pickle barrel armor first came out years ago...I've seen some really crappy stuff come out but it was about functionality, not looks.  Pitbull Armory actually made harnesses out of the same pickle barrels but they were actually good looking.  Up close of course you could tell, but he took the time to shape and form the pieces so it didn't look like you were wearing a cut up barrel like some of the others.  lol

I've also heard good things about the use of high impact plastic as an alternative to steel...perfect for the SCA since they're not doing any steel combat, its all rattan.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

John

• New Forum Member
  • I'm fairly new here
    • My personal website
« Reply #25 on: 2011-08-26, 21:13:40 »
I have a 16g CoP I have used for years for SCA, no dents, but I find it too heavy. I am going to use the 18g from here on.

Are all the plates 16g? or just the ones on the front?

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 2011-08-27, 03:07:36 »

I really don't mind cheating on materials most of the time. We don't have the opportunity to practice in our armor for hours every day, and thus stay in the same kind of shape that historical knights would have. Comfortable armor is a good thing. :)

Agreed. Nor do we have other people who we can have clean our armor, nor do we get paid (or get paid much) to do what we do. If it's hidden, it's no big deal. If it's visible and still looks right - aluminum, steel, titanium - it doesn't bother me. I'd rather see people in non-period materials but looking medieval than people running around in jeans and t-shirts. :)

Sir Ulrich - I've heard good things about Wintertree Crafts. I'd contact them and give them a go.

Sir James Barker - I had no idea you make armor too. How do I bribe you for an open workshop day? :D
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #27 on: 2011-08-29, 18:20:26 »
Well I am getting a COP eventually, maybe if I EVER do SCA fighting I'll go for the COP over maille route with a kettle helm and Visby gauntlets. I do plan to get it with either iron or regular steel plates though even if it's heavy, I could use some strength training and added mass when fighting, besides plate doesn't nearly encumber you as much as maille does or so I've been told, though it's a lot less flexible than maille it's less heavy. Still wondering how hard it would be to make a COP myself made to my measurements, anyone got any idea how I could and what tools I'd need?

John

• New Forum Member
  • I'm fairly new here
    • My personal website
« Reply #28 on: 2011-08-30, 08:52:12 »
Strength is handy. Regardless of armour type. Lift weights. Find any excuse you can to be physical. Whilst it is true that the average medieval man was fitter than the average man of today. Today our elite performers are vastly superior to our ancestors. Modern physical training methods work. Go to the gym, lift weights, and you'll fight longer, recover faster. And for you Sir Ulrich, eat more!

Breathing is important as well. If you breath using your traps, pecs, and neck muscles you'll be lifting all your torso armour as well as your ribcage. If you belly breath you're only pushing out the armour that covers your belly. The less you breath, the less energy you burn. The less energy you burn, the longer you can fight before you run out of energy. Being in the right state of mind leads to efficient breathing. An example of western breath control can be found in the prayer before combat. Prayers are often spoken at a controlled pace, this regulates breathing. Think of the English army at Agincourt, in the morning they prep, advance, pause and pray, attack... win!

Here's an article on how to make a CoP http://www.armourarchive.org/essays/cop_pod/. If you have any fears about measurements, you could make a CoP out of cheap fabric and plastic/cardboard. Then cut your steel and leather using the cheaper material as a template. Here's one CoP template http://www.armourarchive.org/patterns/wisby_cop/. There's quite a few more different styles in the 1361 Battle of Wisby book. Some style have larger plates, some smaller, some have shoulders, some don't. Have a google. http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=9900&step=4&showunits=inches&id=839&top_cat=849 is an American company that sells sheet steel, they're selling 36" x 48" 16 gauge mild steel for $44 USD. Not necessarily the cheapest. If you hunt around you'll probably find a place that will cut it for you as well. Most cutting places use vector artwork, you can create this using Inkscape (free from http://inkscape.org) to trace around your pattern.

Have you considered lamellar? What makes it good is that you can lace them together yourself. It is faster to make than mail, and is better at reducing blunt trauma - though not as good as CoPs or larger plate harnesses. See http://www.polarbearforge.com/lamellar.htm for an example of various lame designs and an indication of cost per square metre. I think those prices are a little high and that you can get them cheaper by going directly to a steel cutting company.

Please note I haven't used any of the commercial companies above, the links are just there to give you an indication of what is possible. Shop around!
« Last Edit: 2011-08-31, 05:49:37 by John »

James Barker

• Forum Member
    • Historic Life
« Reply #29 on: 2011-08-30, 12:49:31 »
Quote from: John
Quote from: James Barker

Are all the plates 16g? or just the ones on the front?

All are 16g on the old one; the back is armored as much as the front.

The new one is a replica of the Wisby 1 CoP all 18g and it is light. Even if I take a blow hard enough to bent the lighter plates it does not injure me underneath as the metal takes all the force.

Quote from: James Anderson III
Sir James Barker - I had no idea you make armor too. How do I bribe you for an open workshop day? :D

Sir Wolf and I modified and old helm once and then I made this CoP, that is the extent of my armoring, I dabble in many crafts. However maybe late winter I may hold a CoP making day for those who wish to come over; I am booked until after Halloween with events, weddings, and so on and plan to wall in my shop and run power in the early winter. I am building a wood working shop in my basement where I have a few armoring tools also.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-31, 12:36:51 by James Barker »