"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty."
                -- Lau Tzu

Author Topic: Sword and heater shield.  (Read 38342 times)

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
Re: Sword and heater shield.
« Reply #30 on: 2011-08-17, 21:14:33 »
I`ve just noticed in the photo at the top of this thread,

http://modernchivalry.org/forum/index.php/topic,1353.0.html

there`s a chap wearing a small shield over his upper arm too.
G.
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #31 on: 2011-08-18, 13:59:45 »
Ah, the gent in the buff coloured padded gambeson wielding the polearm...still think that's pretty cool.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 2011-08-30, 01:56:45 »
Syr Gemini of Degrendelous Martial Arts has much to say on the heater BTW.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

John

• New Forum Member
  • I'm fairly new here
    • My personal website
« Reply #33 on: 2011-09-02, 06:02:24 »
Heaters are popular here in NZ... and unfortunately to fight safely means to avoid some really nice martial techniques :(. However I quite like using a polearm against a shield user, doing a shot to the head, then a shot to the leg. It either works or they get very tired arms, and then they make a mistake :). The flip side is that a polearm user is vulnerable to being bound up by the shield. But this may not apply in your sparring system, as rules change the techniques that work. Tournament is not war. Having said that Sir William Marshall was talented in both, so maybe there is some crossover?

Thrusting past a shield, hooking it on the retraction and then thrusting again on a new line can work well too. Works even better with a buddy.

Hopefully someday someone discovers medieval manuscript buried somewhere. It'd be nice to know what was taught, and if our speculations are anywhere near the mark.
« Last Edit: 2011-09-03, 19:07:29 by John »

Sir Gerard de Rodes

• "Chivalry our Strength, Brotherhood our sword"
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Robor meum Deus
    • The Freemen Of Gwent
« Reply #34 on: 2011-09-03, 15:11:04 »
"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play,but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache" Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

John

• New Forum Member
  • I'm fairly new here
    • My personal website
« Reply #35 on: 2011-09-03, 19:21:27 »
Interesting that they are shown with swords. They appear to be wearing plate legs, with a bascinet and mail. Possibly with plate under their jackets? Do you think they considered swords a viable option for killing each other? Is it a duel, tournament or war? I wonder why they don't have plate on their arms?

What document did that illustration comes from?

Lord Dane

• The Hound, Hunter, and Hammer of Justice
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Selflessness, Service, Justice.
« Reply #36 on: 2013-02-16, 15:07:01 »
Well it's only paint! Besides don't you think our shields maybe a little too pristine?  ;)

Ugh. Those charges were a pain to do, and they'd scrape right off. I'd rather get a second shield to beat up. :)

Then again, I still have my templar shield. I wouldn't mind beating that one up. It's the one whose photo I used to make the various shield images used as logos on this site (and on the cafepress shop), including the little icon next to the URL in your web browser. :)

Rule of SCA thumb, one heater for show & one ready to go. They are not meant to be pretty all the time. Feel free to wreck them on an opponent in conjunction with any one-handed instrument of choice. I will happily fight with round and/or heater though I prefer a round shield in actual SCA combat. The heraldry paint of my shield will look just as nice imprinted or transferred upon my opponent's armor. :) I'm sure Lord Rodney can relate. 
"Fides, Honos, Prudentia, Sapiencia" (Faith, Honor, Prudence, Wisdom)
"Fiat justitia ruat caelum" (Let justice be done)

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #37 on: 2013-02-16, 15:40:42 »
Good and valid point. I wonder just how structured and frequent that sort of training is for law enforcement crowd control?

I'll answer that one first hand, Sir Brian. Those techniques are now common place in most law enforcement training academies especially focused for crowd control although they will always vary from agency to agency as to what works best. Specialized teams use them more frequently but they have been become standard for most police practicioners / line officers.

I would like to see more uniformity amongst my brethren in what is most efficient in the role we play. These drills need to be planned, prepared, and rapidly deployed with the utmost discipline and efficiency under the most stressful situations. Romans did it best but unfortunately their enemies caught on & mastered their trade secrets of what made them elite. 

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #38 on: 2013-02-20, 18:05:21 »
Truly, but the Romans were facing opposing armies, and you're having to deal with the unruly rabble.  I imagine some of those smash and bash techniques aren't used quite as vociferously as they might have done in antiquity- if only because you're not trying to kill these people, just get them back into line, so to speak.

All that to say, the mob probably isn't going to analyze and effectively combat your present tactical situation.  Hope not, anyways.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Lord Dane

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #39 on: 2013-02-20, 18:13:09 »
Truly, but the Romans were facing opposing armies, and you're having to deal with the unruly rabble.  I imagine some of those smash and bash techniques aren't used quite as vociferously as they might have done in antiquity- if only because you're not trying to kill these people, just get them back into line, so to speak.

All that to say, the mob probably isn't going to analyze and effectively combat your present tactical situation.  Hope not, anyways.

Unruly rabble most often is stupid drunks just like Real Romans. :)
« Last Edit: 2013-02-20, 18:18:51 by Lord Dane »

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #40 on: 2013-02-22, 18:08:54 »
After reading this thread I am in near agreement with all of you.

I must admit that SCA Sword and Board/Heater Shield combat is fun and looks like fun, though actual documentation is greatly needed.

There is the Poem of the Pell (12th Century) which is the evidence of what Sword and Heater shield probably looked like.  I suggest we research this and experiment with the text. 

On the other hand, I do see the shield used as a piece of armor (learned this from NHSC) and the movements would be tight to afford maximum protection. 
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir Vander Linde

• Forum Follower
  • Protokoll....
« Reply #41 on: 2013-03-21, 14:57:23 »
 :)

I have a few other photos but my internet is really bad right now  :(

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #42 on: 2013-03-21, 23:04:55 »
Very nice!  I presume the image is from the Codex Manesse?
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #43 on: 2013-03-22, 13:39:12 »
Looks like he did not hold his shield as high as he should have.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #44 on: 2013-03-22, 14:11:37 »
Very nice!  I presume the image is from the Codex Manesse?

Yes, I believe it is.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )