"War is at first like a beautiful girl with whom all men long to play, but in the end like a repulsive hag whose suitors all weep and ache."
                -- Samuel Hanagid (993-1056)

Author Topic: Stronghold 3  (Read 11856 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Stronghold 3
« Reply #15 on: 2011-08-11, 23:35:10 »
I used to play the original for hours on end plus Stronghold Crusader. Thats actually what got me interested in the crusades.
When it came to the Total War series I played Rome the most, often with mods. When it comes to Medieval 2, Broken Crescent was pretty good too, best mod I played for that series actually. The original was OK I actually did enjoy it but trying to go back to it was just... blah.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #16 on: 2011-08-12, 03:02:21 »
Yes, I highly endorse the Total War games.
The absolute realism is unparalleled.

For instance, as fun as it may be, you can't build friggin walls in the middle of a raging battle. But in the Total war series, you can fight on them.
Here's the website http://www.totalwar.com/medieval2
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2011-08-12, 05:05:50 »
I played a looooootttttt of AOE2:AOK 'back in the day'. I have Stronghold 1, but I could never manage to make it very far with it. I have too much tendency to build up a small army and go forth and pillage, whilst my own town gets burned to the ground as my soldiers happily slice and spear things, completely oblivious.

The big draw for me on AOE was multiplayer. I'd play with a friend and we'd 2 vs 6 the computer. Frantically pressing keys and clicking things for 45 minutes to finally take down the first enemy of 6 is a gratifying feeling, second only to killing off all our own townspeople in the final crusade to bulk up armies of 75 soldiers each before double-teaming and crushing the final opponent.

And then start from scratch and spend another 3 hours doing the same thing!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 2011-08-12, 13:37:46 »
Sir Nathan, in AoE2:AoK you could build walls while you fought...in fact, I used to keep 3 or 4 townsfolk roving about the map repairing the odd guard tower, gate or wall that had been attacked by enemy forces.  Of course, the enemy archers could target my townsfolk but that was ok...I'd send them in to garrison the nearest interior building for safety.  It didn't happen often...I used to space guard towers within seeing distance (having that far eye unlocked ability so that all townfolk and buildings see +2 was frustrating to enemies attempting to sneak me) and have'm filled to the rafters with archers and fire arrows!

Sir James...you're a man after my own heart...I never had anyone to play with, so I used to go 1 vs 3 or 4, pop limit 200 and depending on my mood, I may or may not turn off the limiter - so that all tech was available to all opponents.  Sometimes I'd just pick random for my computer opponents but I'd always choose the Britons or the Franks...I'd field two companies of longbowmen and use them to flank enemy formations.

I'd usually go with 30 villagers, 40 infantry, 40 archers/arbalesters, 40 mounted knights, 20 mounted archers (great for harrassing enemy townsfolk lol) and 30 siege machines.  I rarely ever got to have that many siege engines so invariably I'd end up with more mounted fighters.

There was also a cheat you could enter in the interface that would give you a Dodge Viper with rapid fire lead shot, so you had destructive firepower and speed...I would have about 20 of those as one formation zooming all over the map wreaking havoc on enemy buildings...but that got old, that is like god mode you know?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #19 on: 2011-08-12, 14:00:47 »
Yes, I know. I have all the Age of Empires games.
But in a real battle you wouldn't be able to build stone walls while it's raging around your ears!

The Total War series are the best if you want absolute realism. Hint, there's no population limit!
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2011-08-12, 14:30:10 »
No pop limit?  Color me interested then...that was my only dislike of AoE...the pop limit.  I wanted to field 100 knights on horseback but in order to do that, well you know...it would've sucked having to cut back on everything else just for that.

Pikemen, archers and arbalesters were the bane of the mounted knight in that game.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #21 on: 2011-08-13, 02:07:30 »
The amount of Troops is only dictated by the 20 unit max for an army (a unit can range from 30-75 men)
You can have multiple armies fighting in one battle, so it's not uncommon to have literally thousands of soldiers in a single engagement.

In the Total War games, the bane of the knight is spear and pikemen, and crossbowmen. Their armour is often too good for most missiles to kill them outright. Spearmen absolutely shred cavalry though.
In the Total war games, knights are not to be hastily wasted in a protracted melee. Used correctly, the charge is devastating. That's what they are best used for.
But mapwise there is literaly no population limit of any sort. (but beware, armies require monetary upkeep!)

Sir Jason Simonds

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Fortis et Fidelis "Strong and Faithful"
« Reply #22 on: 2011-08-13, 02:58:20 »
I've played stronghold 1 & 2, and currently playing stronghold kingdoms. 3 looks to be promising may have to look into it.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #23 on: 2011-08-13, 13:57:58 »
I enjoyed Stronghold Kingdoms, but I stopped playing when the beta ended because it just required way too much micro-management. I'd have to log in for 30 or more minutes, several times a day, to make sure I didn't lose any resources and to keep construction and trade flowing. It was too demanding on my schedule.

Lord of Ultima is a similar online town-building persistent-world, but it's easier to mitigate micromanagement, and manage time. I can queue up a bunch of stuff and not log in for 24 hours if I want.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir Jason Simonds

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Fortis et Fidelis "Strong and Faithful"
« Reply #24 on: 2011-08-15, 01:14:29 »
Yeah I agree that kingdoms is alot more time consuming, apparently kingdoms is totally free now.

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #25 on: 2011-08-16, 21:05:22 »
No pop limit?

The pop limit was a way to keep the game from locking up on lower end systems. A RTS with 8 players @ 500+ individual units @ high resolution was well beyond the capability of the early single-core systems. It was also a way to prevent people "cheating" by having an overpowered system and lagging opponents into submission by having too many units. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 2011-08-17, 14:25:37 »
That makes sense...especially the bit about early systems.  I stopped trying to keep up with PC games after Counterstrike...which I absolutely LOVED, but hated the cheaters on that thing.  Rabid little snotgobblers.

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #27 on: 2011-08-25, 03:37:04 »
My favorite is stronghold crusader which i still play :)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #28 on: 2011-10-26, 20:29:52 »

Stronghold 3 was released yesterday, and I got a chance to play it a bit last night. I don't know how the previous launches went, but this one is a little buggy. I love the new 3D system. And they've taken out some of the "feature bloat" that ended up in SH2 (crime and disease systems). They've changed the way some things work, added physics and so on.

But in some ways it just lacks some of the polish you expect on a game these days.

They're already working on patches, so I'm hopeful it'll improve. But in any case, the game is still fun so far.

Here's a scathing review:  http://www.rtsguru.com/game/299/features/230/Stronghold-3-Review.html

And one that is more mixed:  http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/26/wot-i-think-stronghold-3/
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )