"When a virtuous man is raised, it brings gladness to his friends, grief to his enemies, and glory to his posterity."
                -- Ben Jonson

Author Topic: Drool Worthy Swords  (Read 14343 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Drool Worthy Swords
« Reply #15 on: 2011-08-10, 18:14:00 »

Yeah, I could see Albion's long-term survival hinging on them keeping up their brand reputation. That is, make them highly sought-after because of the name and "scarcity". You know, something like "you're not just getting a real sword instead of an SLO, but also it's an Albion. And nine out of ten wives prefer Albions in your collection." :) lol
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2011-08-10, 18:14:24 »

That's the thing. Part of the reason the Albions cost so much, is because of the attention to detail they have for the blade geometry. They go to museums and measure the blades all up and down with calipers, to get the thicknesses all over the place, not just to reproduce length and profile taper, but also distal taper, cross section, and so on at various points along the length of the blade. So it doesn't just look authentic, it also cuts authentically.

I think part of it, too, is that for the past decade or so they've held the corner of the market for high end production swords.  For a time, they were the only resource for that level of finish and detail (and beauty of course), but with houses like Valiant Armoury collaborating with the likes of Angus Trim, and Hanwei partnering up with Tinker Pearce- the quality of lower end production swords has increased dramatically.  Windlass has made no changes, no inroads- but they know their customer base so they kind of don't have to.  Then you have smaller outfits like DSA and BKS- granted, their QA might not be entirely up to par, what they put out is quite good for the money, DSA in particular has taken steps so that what they make is more historically plausible, and attractive to the likes of us- while still keeping the beater and sword and board crowds happy, and no price increases!

With all of that arrayed against them, I am hoping that Albion either ups their game in their Squire lineup and provide more models, or...well I don't know exactly.  A price drop would be welcomed...I do like their 25% off holiday sales, but will it be enough?

Scarcity...as in if they made less, were less available...sure, that'd drive interest up but their overall profit margins down I'd say.  I do like the bit about 9 wives out of 10 prefer Albions...thats cute and they should use it.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-10, 18:15:32 by Ser William »
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #17 on: 2011-08-10, 19:11:58 »
Yes, I would also hate to see Albion go, but IMO simply too much of their sales pitch rests on their name! I would really hate to see one bad experience from a customer punch a hole in the name Albion get a lot of publicity and do them under!  They really are in a tough spot.
I second Sir William that for their survival, they will need to put some more effort into their Skirmish and Squire lines.
And I personally think DSA is gonna absolutely eat up the Beater market. Their combination of Freakish durability and historicity is really alone in the market. They are even offering scabbards with period accurate belt mountings, In the very distinctive 13th century style!

Lol, Albion=Apple (emphasis on the brand name)
      Valiant/Hanwei=Microsoft (we had crap before, but look how we're catching up!)
      DSA=Smart phones (We have most of the stuff that computers do, yet you can take us places!)
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 2011-08-10, 19:41:41 »
LOL, an excellent correlation, Nathan.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #19 on: 2011-08-10, 20:14:33 »
I know, It just struck me as I was typing!
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 2011-08-10, 20:34:58 »
Gotta love those flashes of inspiration!

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #21 on: 2011-08-11, 00:41:38 »
And Bingo Wings  ;)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 2011-08-11, 15:58:25 »
That still gets me laughing every time I think of it.  I have you to thank for putting it in my head!  Every woman I walk by now, I'm lookin for bingo wings!  LOL

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #23 on: 2011-08-11, 19:25:15 »
Haha, no problem! I just wish I had it at hand for the Order Motto contest!

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 2011-08-11, 19:53:14 »
We could NOT have had that as our motto!  lol

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #25 on: 2011-08-11, 20:14:16 »

Heh. The Order of the Bingo Wings.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 2011-08-11, 20:49:07 »
I can already see the mascot...an armored granny with overlarge cannons on the upper arm to accomodate said wings.  LOL

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #27 on: 2011-08-11, 21:09:34 »
And Bingo Wings  ;)

Azure, a Bingo Wing proper.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-11, 21:10:11 by Lord Rodney »
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #28 on: 2011-08-11, 22:26:06 »
hahahahaha

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #29 on: 2011-08-12, 02:23:07 »
hahahahahaha! That's Brilliant!  ;D ;D ;D