"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: Well, I got my chainmail chaps  (Read 19977 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Well, I got my chainmail chaps
« Reply #45 on: 2011-08-11, 15:53:33 »
Ser William the boots you are referencing look very similiar to late 16th/17th century bucket top boots, but rolled up of course. I would say they would pass the 10 foot rule for that period, but I would be suspicious of them for earlier periods. As you say though, you are not in a reenactment group are doing this more for fun and general looks, so I think if you like them, they look periodish so go for it.

I had forgotten Viking Leather Crafts, though I have never dealt with them myself, I hear good things. Another place to look at is Reconstructing History. They have a limited selection of footwear, most for later periods, and clothing patterns for a wide variety of time periods. Prices are prettty decent, quality is good and they are very easy to deal with. I bought a pair of latchet shoes from them and am thinking of picking up another pair, open side instead of the closed side I got this time, and a pair of Kuhlmale Landsknecht shoes.

I know what boots you're talking about, Matthew (bucket top) but those were not it...knee high at best and close to the leg.  However, I get the feeling I'll be catching a lot of haze from Sir Wolf so maybe I'll go with something else.  I just like the higher boots.

Leganoth, that's a good choice in boots...I may go with the same, in natural or brown.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #46 on: 2011-08-11, 19:27:32 »
You could pull off higher boots with a 15th century kit. Later in the century some knights liked a 3/4 harness and boots to accessorize!
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #47 on: 2011-08-11, 19:52:54 »
I'm working my way through the centuries...got started somewhere in the 10th and have been making steady progress.  I'm aiming at 14th C squarely in the nose, currently.  :)
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #48 on: 2011-08-11, 22:28:02 »
You could pull off higher boots with a 15th century kit. Later in the century some knights liked a 3/4 harness and boots to accessorize!

you can? hehehe are you swiss? only place i've seen that look. otherwise high boots are seen are horsemen only in their everyday clothing

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #49 on: 2011-08-12, 02:15:50 »
Bucket tops can be rolled up to just below the knee or rolled down to form the trade mark cuff that is ussually pictured. My Captain has a pair and says they are really comfortable, but I have my doubts. I really like my Brohgans for fit, support and comfort, although I did cheat and put in a modern insole. I also have a pair of RH closed side latchets, but I don't much care for them. They feel a little too much like wearing sandles for my taste. I have a really old pair of Sandler mid calf high boots that I love, they are really comfortable and supportive, but I need to have them resoled after ten years of abuse. I also have a pair of ankle boots and curley toed shoes and like them as well.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #50 on: 2011-08-12, 02:21:46 »
Hey, even though it's only Swiss, it was done. Besides, I wouldn't mind having the track record of a Swiss in the later 15th century. Weren't doing to bad, last time since Charles the Bold checked  ;)
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #51 on: 2011-08-12, 03:49:38 »
Well if I cannot find boots I will just get sabatons instead of leather boots http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-3132-churburg-sabatons.aspx  these are best i could find and only one every site has

I have those. If you wear size 16 triple-wide shoes, they're probably okay, but non-sasquatchians will have to do more than a little tweaking to them. They're worth the $100 shipped as a starting point, but only as a starting point, IMO.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #52 on: 2011-08-14, 02:02:17 »
Well if I cannot find boots I will just get sabatons instead of leather boots http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-3132-churburg-sabatons.aspx  these are best i could find and only one every site has

I was thining about those sabtons, i am a size 11 shoe i dont have very wide feet haha so whats your opinion on them

I have those. If you wear size 16 triple-wide shoes, they're probably okay, but non-sasquatchians will have to do more than a little tweaking to them. They're worth the $100 shipped as a starting point, but only as a starting point, IMO.