"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment."
                -- Marcus Aurelius (121 - 180)

Author Topic: Well, I got my chainmail chaps  (Read 19973 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Well, I got my chainmail chaps
« Reply #30 on: 2011-08-10, 20:34:28 »
You know what's funny?  He (Wolf) has this disarming smile, you'll find yourself nodding along with him whether or not you truly agree.  lol

James Barker looks like he'd enforce historicity given the opportunity...he just looks mean.  But he's really not, that's what's funny.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #31 on: 2011-08-10, 20:51:56 »
Where could i get padded chausess  for under im using tights atm

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #32 on: 2011-08-10, 20:53:35 »
That Amazon add definitely does state that it covers both thighs, thus it would be two pieces. I would complain profusely about this and if they are not willing to send a second one, I would return it and post a negative reveiw warning other potential buyers that it is only one. The Medieval Collectibles boots you reference are periodish for a number of time frames, but they are not authentic. It might help if you gave us an idea of the time frame you are working on. I would second the GDFB suggestion, at the price point they sell at they are the most accurate shoes you will find, they are pretty good for any price in fact. I've seen many more expensive shoes that were less authentic. I understand your budget concerns, but I would definitely save up and buy fewer quality pieces than alot of cheaper pieces of armor. In the long run, you will spend less, have a better quality armor and a better looking kit overall. I know it will take time and requires disipline and patience, but it is the better route to go. I certainly learned that lesson, fortuanately before I began to buy alot of armor, swords on the other hand... well I have a lot of very cheap wasters to test my quality blades on when I get them  ;)

I am going for late medieval - crusades

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 2011-08-10, 20:57:57 »
For the padded chausses, I would go with either Sword Nation (http://www.swordnation.com) or Kult of Athena (www.kultofathena.com) for the best prices and largest selection- and no hassle service.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #34 on: 2011-08-10, 21:06:20 »
So I looked at your guys post about shoes, most of them are brown colored my surcoat is white with a black cross, and brown boots would kinda clash so im probably going to be looking for black found these but not too sure, cant find much http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-5366-mens-medieval-low-boot.aspx

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #35 on: 2011-08-10, 21:19:47 »
Well if I cannot find boots I will just get sabatons instead of leather boots http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-3132-churburg-sabatons.aspx  these are best i could find and only one every site has

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #36 on: 2011-08-10, 21:22:14 »
You'll have to widen your search a little, Leganoth...Medieval Collectibles is a nice starting point, but it is hardly the most comprehensive resource for all things medieval.

I am thinking, at your age, at this stage of the game, you'll probably want to try out a lot of different things, which is easier to do if you're looking at the cheaper end of the scale.  However, there are certain things you should not skimp on, especially when they can have an effect on your own personal comfort.  Shoes, in particular, should fit well and be well made.  You can find a great many modern style boots that will fit the bill, but very few medieval style that will be at least historically plausible AND in period for what you're after, you mentioned the Middle Ages/Crusades, which basically rules out thigh high or pirate boots.

Now if we're talking just shoes, you can get a good pair here:  http://www.vikingleathercrafts.com/catalog/index.php

The Viking or 13th Century shoes should fit the bill for you...many will not be able to tell the difference between the two, and they are probably the best you'll get at that price.  Sir Wolf is intimately familiar with this brand if you need further information.  For what its worth, I'll end up with a pair myself, if only because at some point I plan on going the fully historic route.  Eventually.

Leganoth

• Forum Follower
« Reply #37 on: 2011-08-10, 21:28:25 »
You'll have to widen your search a little, Leganoth...Medieval Collectibles is a nice starting point, but it is hardly the most comprehensive resource for all things medieval.

I am thinking, at your age, at this stage of the game, you'll probably want to try out a lot of different things, which is easier to do if you're looking at the cheaper end of the scale.  However, there are certain things you should not skimp on, especially when they can have an effect on your own personal comfort.  Shoes, in particular, should fit well and be well made.  You can find a great many modern style boots that will fit the bill, but very few medieval style that will be at least historically plausible AND in period for what you're after, you mentioned the Middle Ages/Crusades, which basically rules out thigh high or pirate boots.

Now if we're talking just shoes, you can get a good pair here:  http://www.vikingleathercrafts.com/catalog/index.php

The Viking or 13th Century shoes should fit the bill for you...many will not be able to tell the difference between the two, and they are probably the best you'll get at that price.  Sir Wolf is intimately familiar with this brand if you need further information.  For what its worth, I'll end up with a pair myself, if only because at some point I plan on going the fully historic route.  Eventually.

Yes i know i do tend to get stuck on medieval collectibles, bought a few things there but I did look at the viking site and found these as a choice http://www.vikingleathercrafts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=42_53&products_id=247&osCsid=3ebec1aaeac808122e2672a0571b706e

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #39 on: 2011-08-10, 22:33:03 »
Ser William the boots you are referencing look very similiar to late 16th/17th century bucket top boots, but rolled up of course. I would say they would pass the 10 foot rule for that period, but I would be suspicious of them for earlier periods. As you say though, you are not in a reenactment group are doing this more for fun and general looks, so I think if you like them, they look periodish so go for it.

I had forgotten Viking Leather Crafts, though I have never dealt with them myself, I hear good things. Another place to look at is Reconstructing History. They have a limited selection of footwear, most for later periods, and clothing patterns for a wide variety of time periods. Prices are prettty decent, quality is good and they are very easy to deal with. I bought a pair of latchet shoes from them and am thinking of picking up another pair, open side instead of the closed side I got this time, and a pair of Kuhlmale Landsknecht shoes.

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #40 on: 2011-08-10, 22:36:41 »
What do you gents think of these boots?  Forget the velcro, look at it from the outside and tell me.

http://www.renaissancemodel.com/renaissance-high-leather-boots-840.html#

look like pooh hehehehe

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #41 on: 2011-08-11, 00:41:01 »
THAT'S the historical accuracy harassment we were going for!  ;D ;D ;D

And BTW, the Crusades (If you are referring to the Crusades for the holy land and not the Baltic or reconquista) were not in the late medieval period (15th century) For The crusades of Outremer, you're looking at 1096-1291. That's early-high medieval period.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

ECOX

• Forum Member
  • I'm new here
« Reply #42 on: 2011-08-11, 03:19:03 »

So I looked at your guys post about shoes, most of them are brown colored my surcoat is white with a black cross, and brown boots would kinda clash so im probably going to be looking for black found these but not too sure, cant find much http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-5366-mens-medieval-low-boot.aspx

I have the taller pair of these boots. My heal kept sliding to the side, wearing a hole in them after the third weekend. THIN sole, material is more of a coated plastic. They would make a good stage boot but that is all I would recommend. Your money is better elsewhere.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #43 on: 2011-08-11, 13:49:08 »

Yeah, that's part of the reason I stick to Sandlar boots. They're not period, but they look medieval to the "danes", and they're waterproof, comfortable, and durable. If I'm going to be on my feet for 8 to 10 hours at a renfaire, I don't mind cheating if it means my feet stay in good working order. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #44 on: 2011-08-11, 13:55:45 »
Yeah, my revival boots have a non-period nailed thick sole. But you can't even see that, and i can stomp around fairs all day!
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux