"Mistakes are always forgivable, if one has the courage to admit them."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: Well, I got my chainmail chaps  (Read 19974 times)

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: Well, I got my chainmail chaps
« Reply #15 on: 2011-08-10, 10:59:41 »
That Amazon add definitely does state that it covers both thighs, thus it would be two pieces. I would complain profusely about this and if they are not willing to send a second one, I would return it and post a negative reveiw warning other potential buyers that it is only one. The Medieval Collectibles boots you reference are periodish for a number of time frames, but they are not authentic. It might help if you gave us an idea of the time frame you are working on. I would second the GDFB suggestion, at the price point they sell at they are the most accurate shoes you will find, they are pretty good for any price in fact. I've seen many more expensive shoes that were less authentic. I understand your budget concerns, but I would definitely save up and buy fewer quality pieces than alot of cheaper pieces of armor. In the long run, you will spend less, have a better quality armor and a better looking kit overall. I know it will take time and requires disipline and patience, but it is the better route to go. I certainly learned that lesson, fortuanately before I began to buy alot of armor, swords on the other hand... well I have a lot of very cheap wasters to test my quality blades on when I get them  ;)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #17 on: 2011-08-10, 13:01:28 »
I second Sir Matt. Save your time and money. That doesn't mean wait until you can buy all your armour from Historic Enterprises (as nice as it may be) but only buy from dealers with a good reputation. And ask around. It's very likely someone here would have had dealings with them, or possess something similar to the product you are looking to buy and give you advice and such.
It'll be worth it in the end. Trust me, I'm 16, and also have NO dependable income.

Good luck! (And get that other Bloody leg!  :o)
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 2011-08-10, 13:13:02 »
I would speak to the seller who actually sent it to you through Amazon, here's his link: 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/seller/at-a-glance.html?ie=UTF8&seller=A36NIL00HJ3IIY

Amazon doesn't have any real control over its user end storefronts, I think you should contact the seller directly, that way you can get the issue resolved in a more timely fashion.  In looking through his feedback, he has only a very small number in proportion to the positive feedback, and the negative comments generally deal with the quality of a piece, or shipping time but nothing underhanded.

The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #19 on: 2011-08-10, 13:34:15 »
I agree with what others have said. I'd complain. It's always possible they made a mistake and only packed one when they should have included two, and will ship the other when you complain. If it was intentional, then it's false advertising, and they should take it back and give you a refund.

Also, on topic of my chain legs, would these boots be good to wear with them? http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-889-medieval-high-boot-without-fringe.aspx

Those look like the typical minnetonka boots that a lot of retailers carry. They're cheap, so they can be a great starter set for folks. But they're not a medieval design. And they have their limitations. The sole is a thin piece of leather, and you'll feel every single rock you step on. They're also not the least bit water-resistant, and soak right through if you walk on wet ground. I used mine for a couple of years before investing in better footwear.

These days I use boots from Sandlar and Son of Sandlar. They're not period correct either, but they're well made and water-proof, and look medievalish. However, they're a lot more expensive, so it might be above your budget.

http://sonofsandlar.com/products-page/boots/

(With my mail leggings, I wear the "James' Boots", and the rest of the time I use the "Low Buckle Boots")

I haven't tried them yet, but the ankle-boots from GDFB that Kult of Athena sells look good. (http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=GB1009&name=13th+C+Soldier+Shoes+with+Buckles). They have a decent period look. And the ones I bought from Revival Clothing that were almost identical were very comfortable, though the soles fell off after only a few days of use, so I can't recommend the Revival version.

Just keep in mind that most period shoes/boots have much thinner soles than you're used to with modern footwear, and you will feel the rocks and twigs a lot more. Bu the Minnatonkas are probably the most tiresome on your feet.

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #20 on: 2011-08-10, 14:04:13 »
My Revival Clothing ankle boots are great. I can't complain about them.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #21 on: 2011-08-10, 14:14:18 »
http://www.vikingleathercrafts.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=42&osCsid=3ebec1aaeac808122e2672a0571b706e

best place online to get period shoes

I'll second Sir Wolf's endorsement of Viking Leathercrafts.  They are a distributor for Westland Crafts and provide excellent value and customer service.  I have the 14th Century buckled ankle boots and couldn’t be happier with the value for the $.  As this was my first period footwear purchase, I have no experience with the other suppliers mentioned.
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #22 on: 2011-08-10, 14:57:03 »
What do you gents think of these boots?  Forget the velcro, look at it from the outside and tell me.

http://www.renaissancemodel.com/renaissance-high-leather-boots-840.html#
« Last Edit: 2011-08-10, 14:57:24 by Ser William »
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #23 on: 2011-08-10, 15:57:04 »
I think they would be good for a late period 3/4 harness. Anything from late 15th century to the 17th century.
Maybe Civilian riding boots earlier.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 2011-08-10, 17:09:48 »
I was thinking that...the velcro is not a big factor as I'm not in the habit of dressing up or down w/spectators, but wondered about the overall look.  I'm shooting for late 14th but I also know me- I'll wear what looks good.

I am aware, however, that it would get me into trouble with those groups that focus on historicity- but as I'm not a member of any, I'm ok.  :)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #25 on: 2011-08-10, 17:35:21 »

Yeah, that's basically it. They're not at all period correct for the 14th, but they look good to the unwashed masses. So you'll be fine as long as you're not aiming for true historical accuracy. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 2011-08-10, 17:45:52 »
True historical accuracy seems to cost more...so maybe when I'm a bit older, or catch more grief from you guys.  ;)

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #27 on: 2011-08-10, 19:13:51 »
Sir Wolf, Initiate the historical accuracy GRIEF!!!!!!!   ;D ;D ;D

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 2011-08-10, 19:40:39 »
No, no, lets not stir him up please....not yet anyways.  lol

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #29 on: 2011-08-10, 20:18:09 »
Haha, Sir Wolf, we're on standby till MDRF........... :P :P :P