"No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave."
                -- Calvin Coolidge

Author Topic: Knight of the week  (Read 188971 times)

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Sir John of Felsenbau (Ritter Johann von Felsenbau)
  • Forum Follower
Re: Knight of the week
« Reply #150 on: 2012-05-19, 14:28:26 »
This week's Knight of the week: "Sir Philip de Valognes" - In Scotland...he was the BEST of the Scottish knights. He was born in Valognes, France in 1132. His grandfather, Pier I was said to have come to England with William the conqueror. He was married in 1164 and had a son, William the following year.  From 1165-1171 he became Chamberlain to King William the Lion of Scotland. In 1167 William and Philip fought in tournaments on northern France. During one of the melees Sir William Marshal seized Sir Philip's horse by the reins and forced him out of the melee. After taking Sir Philip's pledge to pay the ransom, Sir William continued in the Joust. (It was Sir William's first tournament.)

In 1172, King William granted the lands of Panmure to Sir Philip. In 1174, Sir Philip became a hostage for King William and after the treaty, King William rewarded Sir Philip by making him the Baron of Panmure, Benvie and Roxburgh, as well as lands in Cumberland and in Northumberland. In 1190, Philip's brother died and Philip inherited the Barony of Burton in Yorkshire. From 1193-1214, Philip was again Chamberlain to King William. In 1209, he became hostage again for King William. In 1215, Phillip died in Roxburgh.
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Motto:  "Perseverantis Vincit Omnia"
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"
      "Crescit Senex est Manditory, Excrescendi est Voluntarium"

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #151 on: 2012-05-19, 14:33:37 »
That is very interesting, thank you again Sir John!
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #152 on: 2012-05-19, 14:34:46 »
Another score for Sir William Marshal!

Sir John
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #153 on: 2012-05-19, 14:35:25 »
Indeed!  :D
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #154 on: 2012-05-22, 16:26:02 »
The Marshal, the Marshal, God is with the Marshal!!!
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #155 on: 2012-05-23, 15:46:15 »
The Marshal, the Marshal, God is with the Marshal!!!

AMEN!  :D
Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #156 on: 2012-05-26, 13:56:50 »
Not to downgrade the Marshal...but noone is perfect. According to historians, the story of him sleeping with the kings wife was not true, but it was a cover up for his greed for power and money. I have found that on several sites. But, like I said if you dig deep enough, noone is perfect.

Sir John
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #157 on: 2012-05-26, 14:18:30 »
This weeks Knight(s) if the week: "The Knights of Treisen" - The Knights of Treisen had their castle in southern Leichtenstein. They were highly respected and were vassals if the Counts von Montfort-Feldrich. The earliest recorded member was Heinrich von Treisen, who had two sons: Ulrich (1273) and Johann. All three were knights. Their castle was built by the Count of Montfort-Feldrich around 1022. Johann is mentioned in 1299 as well as Ulrich II. Johann is again mentioned in 1347. In 1380 Count Philip donated to the monastery there (at least 2 of the Treisen women were nuns there) which was then under the leadership of Ulrich von Treisen II. The last of the family mentioned is Margaretha in 1443, after which the family name of Treisen vanishes.
« Last Edit: 2012-05-26, 14:19:45 by Sir John of Felsenbau »
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #158 on: 2012-05-26, 14:33:44 »
As a side note, (as you know I'm fond of Sir Ulrich von Liectehstein) they have been showing "A Knight's Tale" on tv a few times, which of course I watch. I never tire of that movie, or the love letter which I think is so romantic! Anyway...if you watch a movie several times, each time you notice something that you missed before...well in France...when the Count was looking at the results of all the tournaments....I noticed the Sir Ulrich von Liechtenstein...the real one...his coat of arms was on one of the sheets that the Count was looking at. Again, a mistake...since Ulrich v. Liechtenstein lived prior to when A Knight's Tale took place. But I thought it was interesting that that coat of arms was in it.

Also...there's a site that lists the top ten of everything...and of course in knight's...William Marshal was the first...but they included a number 11: Sir Ulrich von Liechtenstein, since he was the best of the German knights...but he lived in a different time than Sir William...but still...while Sir William had...was it 500 tournament wins (in his WHOLE LIFE) to his name, Sir Ulrich had about 350 just in one series of tournaments! He did go on more curcuits in his lifetime, but I haven't been able to find out his total during his lifetime...wins that is.

Sir John
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #159 on: 2012-05-27, 15:54:55 »
Very interesting Sir John, I personally am a fan of Sir William Marshall, 500 tournament wins does spell this one word
B
A
D
A
S
S

;)
Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #160 on: 2012-05-30, 18:26:44 »
Not to downgrade the Marshal...but noone is perfect. According to historians, the story of him sleeping with the kings wife was not true, but it was a cover up for his greed for power and money. I have found that on several sites. But, like I said if you dig deep enough, noone is perfect.

Sir John

I do not believe anyone would have said the Marshal was perfect, but he was the quintessential knight.  Also, it was his perceived greed for money and power that caused those less loved than he to plot against him.  His combined prowess on the battlefield as well as at court earned him much enmity amongst lesser men.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #161 on: 2012-05-30, 23:15:20 »

Sir John

I do not believe anyone would have said the Marshal was perfect, but he was the quintessential knight.  Also, it was his perceived greed for money and power that caused those less loved than he to plot against him.  His combined prowess on the battlefield as well as at court earned him much enmity amongst lesser men.

Correct.  I agree the Marshal was the quintessential Knight and best model of Chivalry.  One must remember that rising in the Nobility earns the hatred of lesser men. The same thing applies to Renaissance Knights in England (Sir Philip Sydney, Sir Walter Raleigh, Sir Francis Drake, Sir James Scudamore and others). 

It is true that no one is ever perfect (Save God alone) but it doesn't mean that our moral standards should not remain either neutral nor low because of you seeing yourself as imperfect and unable of achieving any form of perfection.  This mentality leads to perfectionism and it can destroy everything because Egotistical Pride, Irrationality and perceiving yourself with Low Self-Esteem are the consequences of Perfectionism. 

However does this mean that what one man says about you, changes how you perceive yourself?  My answer to that question is no, never.  Anyone can say anything to suit their fancies or their pride.  However it is actions, deeds, choices that show Character is stronger than vain words or claims.  "Actions speak louder than words", words have their appropriate perspective and place and do have power that is given by the one who speaks it with the intention of destroying one's esteem or can have the intention of inspiring the despondent heart to rise again after a moral failure.  That is what words can do, they can influence the mind and the heart, but it is choice that affirms or disregards that influence.  I have the choice of disregarding another person's words even though what he said offends me.  My thinking is more of "what good is your word that is based on saying it and assuming everyone will believe you against my word which is based on deeds alone?".  My point is that Character in the face of skepticism is stronger than what other people's first impression maybe.  Anyone can sat what ever they want, but until it is proven by choice, it is by default nonsense, pure nonsense.  In one way this is how Honor works.  Honor is proven not by words but by choices.  The way I see it is if your words match or correspond with your choices and if your choices are the right ones, that makes you a Man of Honor or a Man of your Word.   

Anyone can perceive the potential for greed for money and power, but what you do with that money shows where your Character stands at.           
Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Forum Follower
« Reply #162 on: 2012-06-02, 14:17:20 »
This week's knight of the week: "Sir Andreas von Auersperg" - Their name derives from the extinct wild cattle or "aurichs" which inhabited Europe, Asia and North Africa, but are now extinct. All members of the family were dubbed knights. Their first castle was built in the late 11th century, but in 1140 it was burned during a succession struggle between two heirs. In 1550 the Lords became Barons and in 1630: Counts, and in 1653: Princes!

Andreas was born in Carniola in 1556. After his parents died when he was only 1 year old, Baron Weikhard von Ausperg  became his guardian. In 1569, the 13 year old boy registered in the University of Tubingen. In 1573 and 1574 he studied at the Universities of Pauda and Bologna.

Andreas became a soldier accompanying Archduke Matthew on his campaign in the Netherlands (1577-1578) fighting as a Captain. In [color=red]1583[/color] he rose to the rank of Colonel and was appointed Commander in Chief of the Croat/Dalmatian frontier lands in 1589. In 1593, he won a decisive victory at Sisak and saved central Eurpoe from a Turkish invasion. Pope Clement VIII sent Andreas a handwritten letter of congratulations. This battle meant the final victory over the 300 year Turkish nuisance.

Andreas died unmarried in 1594.

(On an interesting personal side note...I took a course in Self Hypnosis...not the magic kind. In the course it described a way to communicate with your subconscious. Various hypnosis experts disagree on the validity of the answers in whether your mind tells you the truth or just what you want to hear. [I have found out where my fear of heights comes from and recalled vividly what happened to me when I was young.] Anyway...it told me I had past lives, and in one I was a knight in Carniola, and was killed in a tournament. I also found out what my coat of arms were...this was way before I really got into knights...so if I find that there was such a coat of arms for a knight in Carniola...then I guess I will have to believe it.)
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #163 on: 2012-06-02, 18:40:34 »
Very nice Sir John, I thank you!  This is another addition to my list of Renaissance Knights!   ;D
Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir Justin

• New Forum Member
« Reply #164 on: 2012-06-03, 05:42:05 »
Thank you Sir John for this amazing history lesson on all these renown knights! Well done on all of them and I esp. liked learning more about St. Joan of Arc, she was an amazing person indeed. So thanks again on your extraordinary work put into Knight of the week, hope to see more soon :D
"A Templar Knight is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armour of faith, just as his body is protected by the armour of steel. He is thus doubly armed, and need fear neither demons nor men"  - St.Bernard of Clairvaux