"It wasn't the reward that mattered or the recognition you might harvest. It was your depth of commitment, your quality of service, the product of your devotion -- these were the things that counted in a life. When you gave purely, the honor came in the giving, and that was honor enough."
                -- Scott O'Grady

Author Topic: Alternative to mittens in full hauberks  (Read 5853 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Alternative to mittens in full hauberks
« on: 2011-07-28, 13:35:55 »
We rarely see people do integrated mittens in full-length hauberks. For going to the renfaire in particular, it seems impractical when you want to be eating, using your wallet, etc.  (What's in YER wallet!? Grrrr! lol)

Of course, a lot of the time the mittens were designed to open at the wrist so you could pull your hand out. But you can't buy that off the rack these days.

I like what Joe Metz did with his, in this picture (a lovely anachronism of an image, and I love the caption):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmartine63/2713099085/#?ref=nf

It looks to me like fingerless gauntlets underneath full sleeves, with straps going around the palm.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-28, 13:36:48 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
Re: Alternative to mittens in full hauberks
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-28, 15:01:49 »
I think that's actually quite period for the early-mid twelfth century.
And Since I'll be doing early 14th century, I'll be sporting a pair of these.
http://www.therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c594.html

"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #2 on: 2011-07-28, 15:44:33 »
wait what do you mean no one has mail gloves on at ren faires? i did all that work for nothing?

Sir Edward has a set of those that he took off the plate bracers. he still says they are a pain in the butt.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #3 on: 2011-07-28, 16:50:17 »
wait what do you mean no one has mail gloves on at ren faires? i did all that work for nothing?

I said rarely. You, my friend, are the exception, and not the rule. :)

Sir Edward has a set of those that he took off the plate bracers. he still says they are a pain in the butt.

Yeah, I took the plates off, and left the plain leather cuff. They work well enough like that. What really made them a pain is the way I used them. I was wearing the leather cuff underneath whatever vambraces the particular kit had. This made it look continuous (no gap at the wrist through which you could see skin), and it actually helped keep my splinted bracers in place. But what made it a pain was that I couldn't take them off without taking off the vambraces first, so at the renfaires, it made it really hard to access my wallet or to eat.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #4 on: 2011-07-28, 18:58:20 »
what if you slit them at the palm or wrist? or just had a small 1/2 inch cuff as to cover the skin but not go under the vambracer?

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2011-07-28, 21:31:02 »
I am planning to make mittens myself, just need a source for a pair of leather mittens I can sew the maille onto. For now I'm going to make due with these leather gauntlets I have.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #6 on: 2011-07-29, 01:41:11 »
That would be the pain with mittens  :P

I plan to wear them with the plates over the Hauberk.
The look I'll be making is the early transitional Maille with minor plate reinforcements.
I'll be wearing those with these on my elbows. So I should be able to pop them off real quick. Any problems as far as movement or fit is concerned?

http://armstreet.com/store/armor/medieval-sca-elbow-cops-arm-arms-armor-etching-western
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #7 on: 2011-07-29, 13:37:41 »

Nope, they move pretty well. No problem opening and closing the hands at all. The only thing is that the cuff might flop around on you a bit. It might actually be nice to run a cord through the back edge of the cuff and tie it closed around your forearm, so it behaves more like a vambrace. I don't know if that would work or not. But as-is, I feel it's like the French Taunter in Monty Python, with the cuffs flapping open as you tap the top of your head. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #8 on: 2011-07-29, 15:52:08 »
heheh giggling over mental image

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #9 on: 2011-07-29, 20:34:21 »
Haha, Teutonic Taunterbruden!

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2011-08-02, 15:01:17 »
Think I might go the fingerless gauntlet route...I like the way his looks.  I've taken to using a pair of arm garters for wearing under bracers...mine tended to pinch at the wrists after a long day.  Now that I have arm harnesses, I see how weight is supposed to be distributed...the hope being that I won't have to resort to some of the padding measures used in the past to alleviate stress points.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€