"Success is never final. Failure is never fatal. It is courage that counts."
                -- Winston Churchill

Author Topic: More stuff has arrived! I'm TRULY broke now  (Read 15443 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: More stuff has arrived! I'm TRULY broke now
« Reply #30 on: 2011-08-17, 13:42:48 »
As alluded to on Facebook by Sir Wolf, saturday was my birthday and an armor purchase was involved. I'm going to keep it quiet until MDRF opening weekend, though. :D

Excellent. Can't wait to see it all.

As to whether I'll armor up on opening weekend, that all depends on the weather. We've had a relatively comfortable temperature these last few days, but I'm not expecting it to last. MDRF's opening day for some reason is often pushing about 99', and high humidity.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #31 on: 2011-08-17, 14:23:15 »
Hey man, happy belated...so you got armor for your birthday?  I think I may need to have my wife talk to yours so she knows where to look.  She has said she's wanted to buy me stuff in the past but didn't want to do like my parents did (they got me a SLO for my birthday a couple years back, but I appreciate the sentiment).  lol
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 2011-08-17, 18:25:46 »
Hey man, happy belated...so you got armor for your birthday?  I think I may need to have my wife talk to yours so she knows where to look.  She has said she's wanted to buy me stuff in the past but didn't want to do like my parents did (they got me a SLO for my birthday a couple years back, but I appreciate the sentiment).  lol

Yep. My wife and I are both quite hard to shop for, so we send hints (links) to what we want. She bought me a dragon skull that mounts on the wall for Christmas last year. It makes it much easier than trying to explain stainless vs mild, rivited vs butted, dome rivit vs wedge rivit, 6mm vs 9mm - no room for confusion with a link, especially with sites that have 12 variations of a coif.

And if she were to try to explain to me what shoes she wants? Ha. I can barely manage to figure out what she wants when she asks me to bring a pair we have in the house. In a store without an item #? I'd find a nice corner to cry in. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #33 on: 2011-08-17, 19:02:09 »
Huh...that is an excellent idea.  I've already learned more about women's shoes than I ever cared to...but I have learned to leave the clothing to her.  All that talk about sizes and cuts and the like...much too much for me to remember.  lol

Mayhaps a link would suffice...thanks for that.
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #34 on: 2011-08-17, 19:15:14 »

Yeah, Kat and I are similarly difficult to shop for. Most things that are affordable that we'd want, we already have.

Extend this to siblings and parents, and it's a nightmare.

So I created a wishlist web-interface that lets people maintain lists of items (with links) that they're interested in. And people can mark it off as bought, so no one else buys a duplicate, but that purchase-status is hidden from the person whose wishlist is on. :)

Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #35 on: 2011-08-17, 20:24:41 »
That sounds pretty elaborate...and I'm quite certain my family wouldn't go for it.  They're into that whole 'my thought, my gift to you' mentality.  Not a bad thing as my folks are pretty cool...Christmas before last we all got lightsabres and dueled out in the streets at 2 in the morning of Christmas day.  LOL  I think you even did some kind of trick to the picture to get that clash of the striking blades.

« Last Edit: 2011-08-17, 20:49:31 by Syr William »

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #36 on: 2011-08-17, 20:47:07 »
Yep, and rotoscoped the blades too, to make them more realistic. :) As well as manually added a little bit of color (interactive lighting) on people's skin and so on. To make it more real.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-17, 20:47:53 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #37 on: 2011-08-17, 20:49:49 »
Wow, did not know you'd done all that...no wonder I like it so much more!

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #38 on: 2011-08-17, 22:45:27 »
That's pretty awesome Sir Edward.
And yeah, I usually just tell my folks books or I purchase it myself. 
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #39 on: 2011-08-18, 02:12:18 »
That sounds pretty elaborate...and I'm quite certain my family wouldn't go for it.  They're into that whole 'my thought, my gift to you' mentality.  Not a bad thing as my folks are pretty cool...Christmas before last we all got lightsabres and dueled out in the streets at 2 in the morning of Christmas day.  LOL  I think you even did some kind of trick to the picture to get that clash of the striking blades.

hahaha thats awesome!!!! one Christmas my family all got paintball stuff. we all went out on new years day and played paintball. man that was such fun!

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #40 on: 2011-08-18, 13:56:24 »
Paintball...gonna talk to my Dad about that over Labor Day weekend. That would be effing awesome!  :)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #41 on: 2011-08-22, 19:30:55 »
So I created a wishlist web-interface that lets people maintain lists of items (with links) that they're interested in. And people can mark it off as bought, so no one else buys a duplicate, but that purchase-status is hidden from the person whose wishlist is on. :)

No kidding? I did a website wishlist for myself with links last Christmas. I have a terrible habit of hating to shop (general shopping - not sharp 'n shinies!), but when I see something I don't know exists that I think I'd want, I tend to buy it before I forget what / where / when I see it. It's almost all things to buy online that my family would never find, because, where do you go locally to buy a dragon's skull? Or fiber-optic pens? :D
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent