"If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment."
                -- Marcus Aurelius (121 - 180)

Author Topic: New Arming cap  (Read 7878 times)

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Re: New Arming cap
« Reply #15 on: 2013-03-29, 17:07:00 »
Yeah I think that would be a good idea. I HAVE measurements of my head but they're without the arming cap I newly got so I guess I need to take new ones. Still nagging my parents about it but they always put it off as if it's "not important". The arming cap does fit my coif better than the padded coif I got so I guess getting that was a waste. I've gone through about 4 arming caps so far because none of them fit properly but my current one I prefer as it's padded just the right amount, just have to dye it black to fit the rest of my clothes. Personally I wish I got a natural color gambeson but black did exist in the 1200s just NOT for leather, for clothing yes it did exist.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 2013-03-29, 18:56:46 »
Hold onto the padded arming cap in the event you decide to get into combat actions...you'll need it then.  For costuming purposes you'll be ok with the unpadded one- or upgrade to a thin leather one so that the rings from your coif aren't driven into your skull.  Less of a problem if you're not wearing a helm over it.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #17 on: 2013-03-29, 20:23:28 »
I think I am going to measure it for the padded arming cap so it can fit with both and not be too tight if I decide to fight in my new helm for live steel. The thinner one I use typically for costuming but even with that one the heavy kettle helm I got sorta makes it uncomfortable to wear. With the padded one it's more comfortable to wear.