"When a virtuous man is raised, it brings gladness to his friends, grief to his enemies, and glory to his posterity."
                -- Ben Jonson

Author Topic: Helmet Padding  (Read 3173 times)

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
Helmet Padding
« on: 2011-07-19, 23:53:09 »
I recently sent Allan at Mercenary's Taylor a couple of my helmets to get padded and have chin straps added and was really pleased with the work. The last padding I had in my kettle helm was closed cell foam, like you put around air conditioners covered with a canvas like fabric. It did the job ok, but looked really bad after a few seasons wear. I know that in the period a variety of padding and strap methods were used, depending on what kind of financial situation the soldier was in and what materials were available. This brings me to the question what have the rest of you done to line, pad and strap your helmets? Allan's work was first rate and well worth the money, has anyone else here had him do theirs? Just curious.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Helmet Padding
« Reply #1 on: 2011-07-20, 04:58:58 »
Did mine using a combo of EVA, Close Cell, & blue camp foam. It saves me head from whacking but is damn hot in this weather.

I want to do a period liner backed up with Sorbothane during the winter.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

James Barker

• Forum Member
    • Historic Life
« Reply #2 on: 2011-07-21, 11:31:44 »
All of mine are linen with raw cotton lining. I had quilt them and attach them to leather bands on the inside of my salleds or by stitching them to tiny holes around the face openings in the case of a bascinet. You can see some pictures on my website under the armory section.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-21, 11:33:49 by James Barker »

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-07-21, 14:50:15 »
Matt, that's good news, didn't know Allan did that.  I'll keep it in mind.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: 2011-07-24, 04:08:50 »
Hey, I was thinking the below might be helpfull to y'all.

Strapping Helms in a Historical Manner By D. A. Biggs.

How to Make Horse Hair Helm Padding.

I would recommend that you add 1/4" of Sorbothane foam around the brow and in a cross over the top of the head as a CYA measure.

But if that doesn't float your boat then I would suggest some of Windrose Armoury's wonderful EVA foam in various thicknesses (which Is what I use till I can do the horsehair & Sorbothane thing).

As to strapping the helm I would personally recommend the below JPG with the addition of a finger loop off the bottom of the chin piece. It's what I us & I love it. Though it's not the most period thing it does work well & keep ones head in one piece.

-Ivan
Fall down seven, get up eight.