"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
                -- Marcus Aurelius

Author Topic: Cheater chausses  (Read 6516 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Cheater chausses
« Reply #15 on: 2011-07-14, 20:08:03 »
I've seen that hauberk before but never upclose...forget which museum has it.  What is sort of amazing to me is that you can have links to be riveted closed but it depends on the mfr, that you have to use their tool to do it.

This leads me to believe that if there were surviving examples of mail that had been used in battle, we would see shirts where the rings may not match all of the way because let us say a particular warrior was on campaign in strange territory and the only blacksmith available was in said strange territory and mayhap he did his rings differently...
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #16 on: 2011-07-16, 00:32:41 »
What period is that Maille from? I haven't seen that particular piece before.

Almost any real army on campaign is going to have a sizable amount of non-combatant followers, including a large amount of smiths for just that purpose. However, I would see that possibly occurring with garrison troops stationed in towns where army smiths didn't see setting up shop there as worth their time (Crusades)

And the article on MyArmoury does a very good job of covering the subject of he elusive jousting and double maille hauberks. We have many very good ideas, but we have NO physical evidence whatsoever to support any view.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Ulrich

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #17 on: 2011-07-17, 00:15:02 »
I found this page and it has what appears to be the same haubergeon http://www.modaruniversity.org/Blackmaille43.htm the rings around the neck seem to be smaller and denser in weave.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #18 on: 2011-07-17, 01:53:47 »
Yes, in the age of plate (well into 15th cent) you start seeing variations into maille as shown there. I recall this practice may have been borne from the use of lighter, smaller weaves for voiders.
But from what I have seen, maille didn't have those special weaves and such. After all, why make what is the primary defense weaker? during that period correct fitting and leather ties were used to achieve a close fit.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux