Main > The Round Table

The Order of the Hatchet

(1/3) > >>

Sir Edward:

We don't hear a lot about female knights in history. And while rare, they did exist. One notable case is "The Order of the Hatchet", comprised entirely of women.

The Order of the Hatchet
http://www.heraldica.org/topics/orders/wom-kn.htm

--- Quote ---There is a case of a clearly military order of knighthood for women. It is the order of the Hatchet (orden de la Hacha) in Catalonia. It was founded in 1149 by Raymond Berenger, count of Barcelona, to honor the women who fought for the defense of the town of Tortosa against a Moor attack. The dames admitted to the order received many privileges, including exemption from all taxes, and took precedence over men in public assemblies. I presume the order died out with the original members.
--- End quote ---

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_was_the_Order_of_the_Hatchet

--- Quote ---The Order of the Hatchet (Orden de la Hacha) is an order of knighthood founded in Catalonia (Spain) in 1149 by the Count of Barcelona, Raymond Berengar IV (Ramon Berenguer IV), to honor the women of Tortola who defended their homeland.
Tortosa had been under Muslim control for centuries when it was taken over by crusaders in 1149, shortly after, the army left for other pressing matters, and a Muslim army showed up, laying siege to the city. Told that they might best surrender, the women of the city instead dressed as men, took hatchets and whatever other weapons they could get, and successfully attacked the Muslim camp, driving the army away.
--- End quote ---

Sir William:
Well done, ladies!  Theirs is an interesting history...I will research them further.

Sir James A:
I smell a very good movie from that story. I hope Hollywood is listening, with Your Highness, The Black Death, and Season of the Witch recently, maybe we'll get a good run of some more medieval themed movies.

Sir Wolf:
i wonder if its any relation to Molly Hatchet hahaha jkjk hehehe

Sir Edward:

I'd love to see this turned into a movie. But then again, Hollywood would probably put all of the women in typical female fantasy armor (which, as much as I love to see it, the historical inaccuracy would have me gritting my teeth).

Hollywood would probably also forget that they weren't knights yet when they defended the town. And so they'd probably portray them as skilled warriors, rather than typical women for the time who rose to the challenge.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version