"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: Early Halberd fror sale  (Read 7215 times)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
Early Halberd fror sale
« on: 2013-05-03, 00:05:04 »
http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=161207
A halberd based on a find from 1315. Forged from 5160 with a satin finish.

I am asking $100

Free shipping to CONUS.

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
Re: Early Halberd fror sale
« Reply #1 on: 2013-05-03, 01:24:32 »
I'm kind of curious what that one poster would think is a good priced weapon?  the sub $60 stainless variety?  ;D
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 2013-05-03, 02:08:19 »
I'm kind of curious what that one poster would think is a good priced weapon?  the sub $60 stainless variety?  ;D

A lot of people on the armour archive are notoriously cheap and have no understanding of what things should actually cost.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2013-05-03, 06:13:12 »
I almost jumped through the screen to buy it. Probably because it's after 2am, and my brain didn't process the "BASED ON" until the third or fifth time I read it.

Good deal though for somebody looking for one.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #4 on: 2013-05-03, 11:04:18 »
it is a good deal. i would buy it if i had the cash.

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #5 on: 2013-05-04, 01:22:35 »
Only reason why I didn't was because I'm: A) not a halberd guy, and B) wrong era
the price is ridiculously nice for what the metal used was and at least in that picture zoomed in, the welds look very good.

I stopped visiting AA for that reason, I got tired of people complaining about the price, or complaining that the armour piece they commissioned was taking so long (not the ones that were warranted, just the whiners). 

I'll always go out of the way to buy good quality items from small American "shops" that really are just someone enjoying their hobby.  It really scares me when people complain about small businesses falling, then also complain about $100 for a nice halberd or saltshaker great helm.  It seems most have no understanding of quality and time.  It really is a shame.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: 2013-05-04, 15:58:27 »

I stopped visiting AA for that reason, I got tired of people complaining about the price, or complaining that the armour piece they commissioned was taking so long (not the ones that were warranted, just the whiners). 

I'll always go out of the way to buy good quality items from small American "shops" that really are just someone enjoying their hobby.  It really scares me when people complain about small businesses falling, then also complain about $100 for a nice halberd or saltshaker great helm.  It seems most have no understanding of quality and time.  It really is a shame.

Just avoid the 'classifieds' section of the AA and you'll escape most of the whiners and people who think everything should cost $25 and be stuffed with blue foam and be made of 10 gauge steel to be 'good.'  However, there are some serious armorers who do post in the classifieds section who do very nice work for very reasonable prices, particularly the Eastern European guys who post there.  And hey, what the SCA crowd doesn't appreciate, you can snatch up for a steal.

The rest of the AA is filled with some very knowledgeable folks.  The Historical Research and Interpretive Re-Creation sections are particularly awesome.

If you're after more serious discussion check out MyArmoury.  Lots of scholarly discussion, and a lot of the heavy hitters from the AA also post there, as well as some famous folks in the Arms and Armour world like Dr. Toby Capwell etc..  Only warning with MyArmoury, is sometimes it can get a little snooty.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #7 on: 2013-05-05, 01:04:36 »
If you're after more serious discussion check out MyArmoury.  Lots of scholarly discussion, and a lot of the heavy hitters from the AA also post there, as well as some famous folks in the Arms and Armour world like Dr. Toby Capwell etc..  Only warning with MyArmoury, is sometimes it can get a little snooty.

Ian,

I knew this would be a good group because of MyArmoury ;)  I've been a member of that group since 2007.  I'm mainly just a lurker though, there's so many people far more informed than I that anytime I feel like posting something, somebody else has already said it.  MyArmoury has been very beneficial for me, especially back then when I was starting out getting my own sword collection started.  It's how I learned of A&A, Albion, and Darkwood Armoury. 

On that note, I'm thinking after I make my purchases from Darksword, if they're all they seem to be cracked up to be as of late, I'll make reviews for those swords I'm going to purchase.  They seemed to have a bad break back in the day, but now they appear to be top notch.  Certainly enough for me to make a $600 gamble to check them out.

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #8 on: 2013-05-06, 22:33:32 »

BAN!!!!!

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #9 on: 2013-05-07, 00:24:50 »

BAN!!!!!

Am I banned or is Ian banned? or both?  ;D :P

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 2013-05-07, 04:19:57 »

BAN!!!!!

Am I banned or is Ian banned? or both?  ;D :P

« Last Edit: 2013-05-07, 04:39:41 by James Anderson III »

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #11 on: 2013-05-07, 05:36:47 »
Sir Wolf  ;D

your mojo is at it again mate, that image isn't coming through for me  ;D :o

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 2013-05-07, 16:10:45 »
Sir Wolf  ;D

Argh! It was Oprah Winfrey with the captions "You get a ban! And you get a ban! You all get bans!!!" :D

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
« Reply #13 on: 2013-05-08, 00:00:35 »
Sir Wolf  ;D

Argh! It was Oprah Winfrey with the captions "You get a ban! And you get a ban! You all get bans!!!" :D

Sir James,  ;D ROFLMAO I'd love to see that one!