"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
                -- Bruce Lee

Author Topic: Name of your Sword  (Read 64058 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Name of your Sword
« Reply #45 on: 2011-07-13, 20:02:21 »
Everything sounds cool in Latin!  Or any other language but English, really.  I came up with a name for this sword but am not sure if it'll sound good.

"Linkehand Gott"

"Left hand of God"?
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #46 on: 2011-07-13, 21:09:32 »
Is that a Van Helsing reference?  8)

Make sue it's for a Leftie.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #47 on: 2011-07-14, 16:02:44 »
Everything sounds cool in Latin!  Or any other language but English, really.  I came up with a name for this sword but am not sure if it'll sound good.

"Linkehand Gott"

"Left hand of God"?

Yes!

No!  And it is for a lefty...but the reference is Biblical in origin and actually refers to Gabriel so I thought of calling it 'Gibril', the Arabic version of the name considering it is a Crusade-era sword.  Just an idea...not struck in stone yet.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #48 on: 2011-07-14, 16:46:37 »

"Linkehand Gott"

"Left hand of God"?

Yes!

Huzzah! I win a cookie. :)

No!  And it is for a lefty...but the reference is Biblical in origin and actually refers to Gabriel so I thought of calling it 'Gibril', the Arabic version of the name considering it is a Crusade-era sword.  Just an idea...not struck in stone yet.

Have you seen Van Helsing? Dracula refers to Van Helsing as the "left hand of God", and calls him Gabriel. I actually had the same thought as Sir Nathan. It's perfect for you, as you're a leftie. :)

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #49 on: 2011-07-14, 17:00:36 »
michael is the right hand and the one who kicked lucifer out of heaven so they had the names mixed up. dont forget about hark and harold angel. hehehe

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #50 on: 2011-07-14, 20:10:27 »
You know, I've seen Van Helsing twice but can attest to being preoccupied w/something else while watching it so although I do recall the LHoG one, don't recall him being called Gabriel, but it makes sense.  And as you say, Sir James, I am a southpaw so it works for me.

It isn't blasphemous to use it?  I wonder.  I stop short of calling myself that...but have thought it from time to time.  lol
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wulf

• New Forum Member
« Reply #51 on: 2011-07-15, 14:58:47 »
About a year ago I was looking thru a palladium games rifts book. There was a picture of an adventurer with a magic sword. In futhark runes on the blade it said " a magic sword"! I laughed myself sick.
Speak useful words or be silent.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #52 on: 2011-07-15, 15:25:56 »
That was one of my main frustrations with that movie. Why didn't they explain that? And the whole nightmares thing? Wasn't explaining that one of the main reasons they went there?

I love the name Gibril. Would you be applying that to the sword you have? Guzzleguts?
And It's not blasphemous, as I imagine you wouldn't actually br considering yourself an archangel. 

And I love Von Gottesmund because it does a perfect job of summarizing what it's purpose would be in that context. The reference is Apocalyptic, which would be appropriate for what it would be used for.   
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #53 on: 2011-07-15, 19:00:34 »
You know, I've seen Van Helsing twice but can attest to being preoccupied w/something else while watching it so although I do recall the LHoG one, don't recall him being called Gabriel, but it makes sense.

It's actually a rather "quiet" portion. Van Helsing and Dracula are "stalking" each other,                and Dracula almost whispers  "Gabriel. Oh Gabriel.", if I remember right, just before Van Helsing stakes him (attention grabber). In the same conversation, he says something about "It must be so hard to be the left hand of God.", but that's all it really touches on.

That was one of my main frustrations with that movie. Why didn't they explain that? And the whole nightmares thing? Wasn't explaining that one of the main reasons they went there?

It's implying that Van Helsing is the human incarnation of Gabriel, and when he mentions to the friar about "I remember Rome", it's implying that Van Helsing has been around since roughly the time of the crucifixion. At another point, Dracula mentions that he can tell Van Helsing much about his past, and that's supposed to be part of the "bait" for Van Helsing to not kill him, and probably why it doesn't expand from that.

On a related note, if you haven't seen "Shroud" (made in 2009), the ending is interesting, and related in some way (which I won't spoil).

As for blasphemous for calling a sword Gibril or Gabriel - I don't see why a different language of the same name would matter, so Gabriel, Gibril, same thing. Calling a sword what it's been named is, simply, a name. As long as you don't worship the sword, I'd say you're fine, I think. :)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #54 on: 2011-07-15, 19:13:05 »
On a related note, if you haven't seen "Shroud" (made in 2009), the ending is interesting, and related in some way (which I won't spoil).

I don't see it on Netflix. Doh.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #55 on: 2011-07-16, 00:40:52 »
I just hate it when they don't expand on stuff like that. Cause I think that actually would have made a freaking awesome sequel. Or anything!

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #56 on: 2011-07-18, 04:16:18 »

I don't see it on Netflix. Doh.

It's a small budget movie by Jetre Films. There were pics and info in a thread on ArmourArchive.org. http://www.jetrefilm.com/ is the official site. IMDB here (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0963948/combined). Ugo Serrano and Patrick Thaden worked on the armor for the main character.

Google-fu fails me at finding a copy for sale. :(

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #57 on: 2011-07-21, 15:10:04 »
Well, it wouldn't be considered blasphemous if I did think of myself as one of the Archangels...I was referring to the LHoG reference...but it isn't, since I'm not calling myself 'God', only that the sword is His left hand. 

Gibril was going to be the Arn sword's name...Guzzleguts IS the name for that other one...or Gasteviande, rather.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #58 on: 2011-07-21, 23:55:10 »
Ahhh, ok. When's that coming?

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #59 on: 2011-07-22, 13:33:14 »
Gasteviande?  She's already here.