"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect."
                -- Carl Von Clausewitz

Author Topic: Name of your Sword  (Read 64005 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Name of your Sword
« Reply #135 on: 2013-02-04, 16:51:02 »

I think "puppy drowner" sounds good. A very high and noble name, indeed. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Corvus

• A wanderer on the road less traveled
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #136 on: 2013-04-17, 02:43:01 »
If I might chime in.

I do believe that since one's blade - when properly utilized - can become a close companion, the bestowal of a name is a goodly idea. Indeed the naming of blades can be found in a number of traditions for sure. In my own tradition blades are often given names. Most of mine have been named.
“Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel.”    - Beowulf

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #137 on: 2013-05-05, 01:19:40 »
After searching the forums for something entirely different, I stumbled upon this.

I think it's hard to name a blade without first having it in your hands, and "getting to know her."  Basically it usually takes me one set of my leather gloves, and blisters before I come to that point.  I only have one blade that's named at the moment, my claymore.  She isn't pretty by any means, it's a one step above stainless wall hanger cheapo to be exact.  She does have a tang though and balances quite well.  Her name is "CoinnĂ­oll" which is Irish Gaelic for word of honor, diligence, pledge, and covenant. 

The cool story behind her is she was given to me, believe it or not, as a "party stuffer."  ;D My friend was graduating from Cal State Fullerton.  I, his girlfriend (now wife), and his sister got together and bought him a beautiful katana as a gift.  He practices kenjutsu, and iaido and he really did need a better sword as he was starting to get into cutting.  It's a beautiful hand forged, clay tempered beauty with a custom period made tsuba with a falcon and tiger on it.  Anyway, back to mine, somehow (I blame his wife) he got word of this gift we got him.  So for my "party stuffer" he spent the same amount of money as everyone else for me, but instead of just some random stuff, or the girlie girl stuff he got his sister and girlfriend, he bought me that claymore.  I was shocked.  It was my first sword I personally own.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Corvus

• Forum Follower
« Reply #138 on: 2013-05-05, 17:17:19 »
Patricius, I agree; one should indeed get to know their blade before naming it. In my own case I have quite a number of sharp edged companions in my collection, though my two bestest buddies (grin) are a hand forged Roman Gladius which was specially made for me by a smith in Washington State(way back in the day) and my Cold Steel Grosse-Messer which though factory built(largely in India)is a real beauty to behold. By the way the Grosse Messer from Cold Steel certainly lives up to the hype in that it is delivered razor sharp and more than sturdy enough to cut things like logs and phone books in half ;)

I liked the story you shared about receiving your sword too, by the way. The best ones I think, are indeed given as gifts - more power there I think.

B. Patricius

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • just a brother knight
    • my pinterest - full of research
« Reply #139 on: 2013-05-06, 02:39:24 »
I agree.  Swords, guns, etc... for some reason things like that, always are a wee bit more special when given as a gift.

Any videos of the carnage of your Cold Steel?  8) I've been looking at getting a saber from them.  they're relatively inexpensive and very practical it seems.
"Be open with your thoughts, Be witty with your humor, Be kind with your words, Be sensible in your acts." - Lord Dane
Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.
~Officium-Honestas-Sacrificium~
my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/murphy.patrick.j

Corvus

• Forum Follower
« Reply #140 on: 2013-05-06, 04:22:41 »
No, I personally have never taken any footage of my particular sword in action. However I do believe there are a number of Grosse-Messer cutting vids available on line

Justin

• Knight at heart
  • Forum Member
  • On the quest to knighthood
« Reply #141 on: 2015-07-05, 17:46:34 »
If I had a sword, it would be a great sword named Abyss.
Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth.

Sir Michael

• New Forum Member
  • Always striving to be a man of high morals
« Reply #142 on: 2015-07-05, 22:54:10 »
I am partial to "mercy giver", makes me think that with a name like that, that one would not take a life without good cause. :D
Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong; this is your oath. (slap) And that is so you remember it. Rise a knight.

Mike W.

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #143 on: 2015-07-06, 17:14:09 »
I was always under the impression that naming weapons was rather uncommon, practiced by only a handful of monarchs. All my weapons are nameless.
D’azur à trois fasces d’argent, et au chef gueule chargé de trois étoiles d’or.

"The first duty of a man is the seeking after and the investigation of truth." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Sir Dimitry

• The Black Wolf of Carpathia
  • New Forum Member
    • Silver Knights Jousting & Equestrian Martial Arts
« Reply #144 on: 2015-07-07, 03:38:58 »
I was always under the impression that naming weapons was rather uncommon, practiced by only a handful of monarchs. All my weapons are nameless.

Sandor Clegane had something to say about this topic in the Game of Thrones show, Season 4 I believe...  ;)
Violentia Aureus

Sir Dimitry

• The Black Wolf of Carpathia
  • New Forum Member
    • Silver Knights Jousting & Equestrian Martial Arts
« Reply #145 on: 2015-07-07, 21:19:52 »
That being said, I don't name my weapons, but I always refer to them with feminine pronouns.
Violentia Aureus

Ian

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #146 on: 2015-07-07, 21:41:22 »
Sandor Clegane had something to say about this topic in the Game of Thrones show, Season 4 I believe...  ;)

Ha, yes he certainly did. :)

I've never felt compelled to name any of my personal weapons.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Sir Douglas

• Artificer of Stuff and Things
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • In principio creavit Deus caelum et terram.
« Reply #147 on: 2015-07-08, 02:23:50 »
I never really got into the whole naming of inanimate objects thing, either. Though when I was younger I hunted with a little 20-gauge bantam shotgun I called Little Bart (because my dad called his 12-gauge Big Bertha). I also named my anvil Frank :P
Per pale azure and argent, an eagle displayed per pale argent and sable, armed and langued or.

So a Norman, a Saxon, and a Viking walk into England....

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #148 on: 2015-07-08, 03:07:12 »
I’ve never named my weapons, but I do write little messages and smiley faces on my SCA thrusting tips for my own amusement.  If I’m going to poke a guy in the ocular, at least the last thing he sees before dying is a smiley face.   :)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #149 on: 2015-07-08, 18:55:39 »

I think if I started naming my weapons, I'd run into the problem of not being able to keep the names straight. It works well enough for me to just refer to my Albions and A&As by their model names. Besides, "The Baron" still sounds pretty good, for example. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )