"Honor is like an island, rugged and without a beach; once we have left it, we can never return."
                -- Nicholas Boileau

Author Topic: The axe  (Read 11079 times)

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: The axe
« Reply #15 on: 2011-07-01, 14:59:24 »
That is good to know...and it makes perfect sense to me.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Wulf

• New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: 2011-07-02, 05:05:27 »
I'm going to have to disagree. I've watched the guys in my fight club struggle with the axe. Even the ones who are hell on wheels with sword and polaxe. Compared to the sword and poleaxe, a battle axe is more limited. Having said that there are several moves and "tricks" that I can only really employ with a battle axe.
Speak useful words or be silent.

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: 2011-07-03, 19:52:42 »
The key to the axe is: Don't fight it.
The axe is a graceful & elegant weapon, but you need to move with it while a sword moves with you. You fight it & it will fight you. You move with it and it will hit FOR you.
Fall down seven, get up eight.

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #18 on: 2011-07-04, 17:01:34 »
What Bill is stating is that if you study the period techniques then you should be able to quite easily apply them to a weapon such as an axe. There are differences, yes, especially in handling. But the movements and techniques themselves are no huge wall.
Personally I favor a warhammer for my one-handed helm-smasher, but I could see some similar stuff with an axe.
And Sir Wulf, the odds are at your fightclub, few of the members were applying period medieval techniques.
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux