Main > The Round Table

Chalice Ceremony

<< < (2/2)

Sir Edward:

Well, hopefully it wouldn't be any time soon that we'd even have to consider what to do for a deceased member.

But the chalice works well for the Knights of Columbus since it's a Catholic organization. They donate the chalice to a church, priest, bishop or someone along those lines so that it can be used. Those chalices are very expensive, and can often be well over $1000, if memory serves.

Since we're not a Catholic order, whatever we would end up doing would have to be appropriate no matter what the knight's religious standing is. For instance, the families of deceased US veterans receive a flag.

Sir William:
Ha!  Catch up and pass you, eh Knight Commander?  That was a good one...need to remember to use that one on the girls...er, women.  lol

Joshua Santana:

--- Quote ---Well, hopefully it wouldn't be any time soon that we'd even have to consider what to do for a deceased member.
--- End quote ---

I hope not Knight Commander. 

--- Quote ---Since we're not a Catholic order, whatever we would end up doing would have to be appropriate no matter what the knight's religious standing is. For instance, the families of deceased US veterans receive a flag.

--- End quote ---

That is a good point Sir, since Chivalry is a Warrior Code that does have relative Moral and Virtue Parallels between religions, beliefs, traditions and so on.  Ceremonies I believe must have a rite of passage attitude that marks the beginning of Moral Maturity and Virtuous Accountability of the individual who is undertaking the ceremony.  More or less to mark his/her Journey of Knighthood.

A good example is the Dubbing Ceremony, sure we have seen this thousands of times at Faires, Movies, and in Reenactment events.  But on an internal Moral level, the Dubbing Ceremony is a Rite of Passage for the Individual going from Squire to Knight (it does have similar meaning to a boy assuming the mantle of manhood).  To me, I believe that the Dubbing Ceremony is a Rite of Passage that will serve as an daily engraved, permanent reminder of what I have become, what I am and what I represent and embody in my deeds and choices.  That will not deter me from the outside influence of other people saying that I am "crazy, insane, Quixotic, get a real life" just because I chose to follow the Path of Knighthood.     

Lord Dane:
That's funny you posted this, Sir Edward. The chalice ceremony is used in my Order but as an initiation ritual into the right of Catholicism to remind members of the sanctity of their vows like being baptised & sharing in the holy eucharist.

It was traditionally used as a means of ordaining new knights into the Knights of Columbus order too, and I believe it still is. The chalice I purchased was not as expensive though they do get that high in value. The one my Order uses only cost $200.00 and is embossed with a blue lapis luzuli trim & maltese cross. Take a look.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version