"Do not be tricked into thinking that there are no crocodiles just because the water is still."
                -- Malaysian Proverb

Author Topic: Hanwei practical messer  (Read 10857 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Hanwei practical messer
« on: 2011-06-24, 13:42:03 »

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SH2458&name=Hanwei+Practical+Langmesser+

I'm tempted to get one of these. It's pretty cost-effective as a messer trainer.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Hanwei practical messer
« Reply #1 on: 2011-06-24, 14:15:39 »
How different are the fighting styles between lang messer and longsword?
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #2 on: 2011-06-24, 14:36:06 »
Very similar, actually. With swords of the same size, the same techniques will work. The messers only really differ in that they have a single edge (though the back-edge was often sharpened in the last few inches or so), and they have a "nagel" (literally "nail", sort of a third quillion on the guard). So back-edge cuts still work with the tip, and that nagel can catch some things that a longsword or arming sword might miss. So even with some minor differences, most of the same stuff works.
« Last Edit: 2011-06-24, 14:36:23 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 2011-06-24, 15:55:02 »
That is good to know...thanks!
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #4 on: 2011-06-24, 18:24:43 »
These have unforutately been in the realm of "coming soon" for about a year now, I think, due to the fire that happened at the Hanwei factory. They announced that these were about to come out, then the fire happened, and they don't know when they'll be able to put them into production.

How different are the fighting styles between lang messer and longsword?

As Ed said, they're practically the same. In the Liechtenauer tradition, a weapon is a weapon, and it's all part of the same art. The biggest difference, though, is that the langes messer is a single handed sword, and the longsword is a two handed sword, so that makes minor biomechanical differences in how you execute actions.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 2011-06-24, 18:26:57 »
I did not consider that...I suppose I should have asked about the differences between it and a single hand sword and the answer would definitely apply then.  Thanks for the clarification, Bill.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #6 on: 2011-06-24, 20:10:08 »
Ah yes, thanks for adding the clarification. I should have been more clear about that. A Langesmesser is more like a single-hand sword, and a Grossemesser or Kriegsmesser can be more like a longsword. But most of the time when people are talking about messers, they're referring to the single-hand variety.

BTW, check this out:

« Last Edit: 2011-06-24, 20:13:57 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2011-06-24, 21:35:11 »
Great, just great...now I want one.  Their movements are very fluid, almost like a dance.  It is a good deal more poetic than the flash of Hollywood- if only because these are tried and true techniques that have proven their effectiveness throughout history.  Thanks for sharing...do you train in this in class w/Bill? 

Some of them had what looked like falchions to me...the clip pointed ones are what I'm referring to; always found those to be quite attractive.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #8 on: 2011-06-25, 03:15:06 »
do you train in this in class w/Bill? 

Yup. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #9 on: 2011-06-26, 00:59:00 »
Yeah, my biggest concern was the dimensions. For the life of me I couldn't get weather they were offering one similar to the video (I LOVE THAT GROUP!!!!!!) or a proper Kriegmesser.

I would like to see an adaption of shield and sword (1 hander) based on the plays similar to what's in the video. I bet alot of the stuff translates well.   
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #10 on: 2011-06-26, 20:37:20 »
Yeah, my biggest concern was the dimensions. For the life of me I couldn't get weather they were offering one similar to the video (I LOVE THAT GROUP!!!!!!) or a proper Kriegmesser.

Well, keep in mind terms like "kriegsmesser", "grosse messer", etc. were not really well defined by period people. And the long grip on the Hanwei sword is very normal for one handed messers, and is also exactly what is depicted in the vast majority of period fencing treatises that deal with the messer. I assume that's why they made it that way, because WMA practicioners are going to be their biggest market.

For example, here is a picture from Paulus Kal:
http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db/bsb00001840/images/index.html?id=00001840&fip=eayayztsewqeayaxssdasyztsqrseayaxs&no=42&seite=153

And here is one from Hans Lekuchner:
http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db/bsb00002184/images/index.html?id=00002184&fip=eayayztsewqeayaxssdasyztsqrseayaxs&no=&seite=51
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #11 on: 2011-06-26, 21:14:38 »
Yeah, I know. But we gotta have names for everything of course........  :P

And I'm glad to see manufacturers finally tailoring products to WMA
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux