"He is victorious who knows when and when not to fight."
                -- Sun Tzu

Author Topic: My coat of arms  (Read 45829 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: My coat of arms
« Reply #15 on: 2011-06-18, 23:19:17 »
as far as the Pope, the church and the Knights of Columbus is concerened...I "am" Sir John. It was really cool gettting the accolade.

Wow, very impressive. Congratulations on that!
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Sir John of Felsenbau (Ritter Johann von Felsenbau)
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #16 on: 2011-07-23, 14:04:56 »
Ny tretise on my Knighthood is like 4 MB, so could only send it by e-mail.

I am still waiting for 2 Knights to sponsor me so I can be an official member! Any one willing?
-The Purple Knight-
Mea Motto:  "Perseverantis Vincit Omnia"
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"
      "Crescit Senex est Manditory, Excrescendi est Voluntarium"

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #17 on: 2011-07-23, 15:05:55 »
all things come to those that wait :) there is an order to these things, being the second/third guy here I haven't gotten mine yet ;)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #18 on: 2011-07-23, 21:10:56 »
Ny tretise on my Knighthood is like 4 MB, so could only send it by e-mail.

I am still waiting for 2 Knights to sponsor me so I can be an official member! Any one willing?

There are currently only 3 or 4 knights (4 counting the knight commander). So far, no one has been sponsored that hasn't been physically met in person, I would say hang in there until PARF comes around and some of us have a chance to meet you, and I'd wager you'll get sponsorship based on everything we've seen so far.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 2011-07-25, 14:01:08 »
Well said, Sir James...it would be good for some of the members to get a feel for him.  Understand, it isn't about elitism or anything like that...for my part, I'd just like to know if a prospective member is going to active or is just looking to add to their collection of memberships...that is, gain membership, add it to said resume and move on to the next organization.  Nothing wrong with that, but I do not think that is what we are looking for.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #20 on: 2011-07-25, 16:50:35 »
Yeah, I myself have all my Sponsorships (I also got the ceremony cleared by my Priest) so I can have it done in a church with a blessing and such.
what I'm waiting on is for me to get done my Teutonic Knight kit.
It's not something you rush into off the bat. I would recommend chatting on here for a while, get to know us.
Where did you get the evidence for the Knighthood thing? Is it period or a modern knighthood thing?

And yes, I didn't get myself sponsored until my 2nd real meeting with the guys here. (Although I do remember I harassed Sir Brian about his kit once before I had the privilege of meeting you guys!) 
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #21 on: 2011-07-25, 19:08:24 »
Yep, we definitely want our system to be non-elitist, and open to all who share our enthusiasm for knights and armor. However what we don't want is for it to become one of those "free online knighthoods for everyone!" sort of things.

So by participating here on the forum, you're already doing the right thing. We all need to get to know each other. And as others have pointed out, it would help if we can get to meet you too.

Since the Order is only just getting off the ground, it's possible we're being a bit cautious just because we don't have an established flow yet. We've only knighted two people so far, and have only brought in a couple of new members since then. So we're still a bit new to the system ourselves. :)

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

SirNathanQ

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • "Nobiscum Deus" "Libertas ad omnes civitates"
« Reply #22 on: 2011-07-25, 20:05:40 »
Amen!
"The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect." -Carl Von Clausewitz
"He is truly a fearless knight and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel." -Saint Bernard of Clairvoux

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 2011-07-26, 16:26:38 »
Insh'allah!
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Thorsteinn

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 2011-07-27, 04:56:41 »
L'Chaim! Mazel Tov!
Fall down seven, get up eight.

Sir John of Felsenbau

• Sir John of Felsenbau (Ritter Johann von Felsenbau)
  • Forum Follower
« Reply #25 on: 2011-07-30, 14:15:17 »
I try to post something every week. Here's something on the sword Excaliber in case you didn't know:
According to legend, the sword was forged from a flaming rock that fell to the earth from the stars and cooled in the ice of a mountain. There it was found by a master blacksmith, who hammered it in his furnace for 3 days and three knights. It was given to (Caius) Julius Caesar when he conquered Britain during the first century A.D. and engraved: “CAI • ILV • CAES • ENIS • CALIBVRUS” – The first three parts are abbreviated forms of “CAIus JULius CAESer.” “ENIS” is Latin for “sword” and the last word means: “In the character of Freedom.” Together it translates: “Caius Julius Caesar – sword of freedom.”

Before Julius Caesar was killed, he put this sword in an underground temple where it was found by Romulus Augusts Caesar. At this time he was only 14 years old. His reign as Emperor lasted only 10 months (October 31, 475-September 4, 476) and marked the end of the Roman Empire. His father, Orestes, Magister Militium, and his mother were killed on August 28, 476, during the revolt under the leadership of the barbarian chieftain: Odoacer. The young emperor, Romulus was captured and sent to exile in Capri. There Romulus found the underground temple with a statue of Julius Caesar holding the above mentioned sword.

A loyal Roman General: Aurelius, rescued and freed Romulus and they escaped and fled with the sword to Britain, where the 9th Roman Legion (known as “The Dragon Legion”) still remained.  (This legion was involved in the invasion of Britain in 43 A.D., participated in battles in Scotland in 72 A.D. and the building of Adrian’s wall in 122 A.D.)

With the remnants of this legion, a great battle was fought against an English warlord: Vortgyn.” Aurelius told Romulus that he fought like “the son of a dragon.” When it was over, Romulus decided to stay in England as their king, saying to his people that the time for killing was at an end and the time for peace was here. He threw away the sword which unknowingly landed, impaling itself in a rock (later to be found by the soon to be King Arthur.)

Romulus took the Celtic name: “Uther” and “Pendragon” after the “9th Roman Legion.”

He later had a son he called Arthur who found the sword almost totally covered with moss, showing only part of the inscription: “ES CALIBVRNVS” which was mistranslated into: “Excalibur.”

I do have my own copy of the sword and by tradition, covred up that part of the inscription...

-The Purple Knight-
Mea Motto:  "Perseverantis Vincit Omnia"
Mea Philosophia:
      "Excessus in Moderstia"
      "Crescit Senex est Manditory, Excrescendi est Voluntarium"

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 2011-08-01, 16:25:26 »
That may be the coolest excalibur story I've heard yet.

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 2011-08-02, 14:49:56 »
It was also the basis of a movie, the Last Legion:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Legion

All of the points as outlined by Sir John served as the major plot points of the film; I thought it was a good movie, but there are those of us who will decry its lack of historicity.  LOL

But I had not read that version anywhere...only saw it in a movie.  Sir John, what is the source of that particular legend?

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #28 on: 2011-08-02, 20:25:53 »
i think i'm the only one that liked the Last Legion ;)

Sir Matthew

• Squire of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #29 on: 2011-08-03, 02:06:23 »
No way, that movie was awesome!