"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."
                -- Ernest Hemingway

Author Topic: Modern medieval art  (Read 7880 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Modern medieval art
« on: 2011-06-06, 19:03:07 »

I've never been very good at drawing people or animals. I'm much better at simple inanimate objects. But every time I look at some of the period artwork in the combat manuscripts, and various scans of other art, including the William Marshal image on the front page of the Order's website, it makes me want to pick up a bunch of colored pencils and take a shot at making that style of drawings.

I don't know if I'd be any good at it, but I think it would be fun.

Has anyone here attempted to make medieval-styled artwork?

Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Modern medieval art
« Reply #1 on: 2011-06-06, 19:07:42 »
Well, I used to draw knights in armor (mostly mail, based off of drawings in Bulfinch's mythology), in duel, on horseback on occasion, but nothing approaching that if only because the position of the body seems strange to me.  Its almost as if his opponent tried NOT to match him but William decided he needed to go down anyway.  My kind of guy!

I plan on drawing up what I think a joust melee might have looked like eventually...I'm interested to see what you come up with.
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.â€

Sir Rodney

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Inquit Corvus
    • The Mercenary Company Nevermore
« Reply #2 on: 2011-06-07, 13:07:30 »
I have no artistic ability whatsoever with the pen or brush. :(  Many members of the SCA do practice medieval scribal arts.  I was very fortunate to have a friend create the scroll recording my Award of Arms for Armouring many years ago.  :)
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." - Roger the Shrubber

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #3 on: 2011-06-07, 13:15:06 »
i don't have any scanners so how else would i get pics online? maybe take a picture of them.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #4 on: 2011-06-07, 14:13:21 »
I have no artistic ability whatsoever with the pen or brush. :(  Many members of the SCA do practice medieval scribal arts.  I was very fortunate to have a friend create the scroll recording my Award of Arms for Armouring many years ago.  :)

Very nicely done. Even the calligraphy looks great.

i don't have any scanners so how else would i get pics online? maybe take a picture of them.

A scanner is ideal, but that should work too.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #5 on: 2011-06-07, 15:25:18 »
Jess Finley wrote me an awesome "thank you" card once that she illustrated with drawings in the same style as 15th century fencing manuscripts. It was awesome, and looked like it came right out of the pages of Peter Falkner.
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #6 on: 2011-06-07, 16:10:46 »
Jess Finley wrote me an awesome "thank you" card once that she illustrated with drawings in the same style as 15th century fencing manuscripts. It was awesome, and looked like it came right out of the pages of Peter Falkner.

That's cool, did you save it? I'd love to see it. That's exactly the sort of thing I think would be cool to do.

Of course, I'd be tempted to add some anachronisms. Imagine a fechtbuch with depictions of combat, horses, and all the rest that's normal. And then it shows the cars parked nearby, and someone using a cellphone. :)
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 2011-06-07, 23:06:24 »
And then it shows the cars parked nearby, and someone using a cellphone. :)

I can't find the captioned one, but someone took this image

and had something like "Harld dead. Henry 2 b king soon. Home 4 dinner."

I used to print out the "measurement" line drawing from some of the armor stores online and try to draw armor over it, since I'm horrible with drawing things to remotely proper scale. Never did very well with it.

I have LOTS of drawings of castles, though. Almost all from an architectural standpoint. Before the cats godzilla'd it many years ago, I had a paper 3d model of a castle I printed out and assembled, about 2' x 3', complete with towers and a gatehouse. From a few feet away, it looked really sturdy. :)
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #8 on: 2011-06-08, 01:01:05 »

Yeah, that's a great photo. :) I've seen it captioned a couple of different ways now. But it's really hard to google for.

The paper model sounds pretty cool. I made a cardboard castle, designed to be modular for table-top gaming (Warhammer games). I'm probably going to ditch it soon, since it's just been taking up closet space for the last 20 years. It's sturdy, but isn't pretty.
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #9 on: 2011-06-08, 14:21:29 »
is that the one that was on the TV set? it was cool. it really sucks to grow up hehehe

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #10 on: 2011-06-08, 14:33:51 »
is that the one that was on the TV set? it was cool. it really sucks to grow up hehehe

Yep, I had it on top of the TV for a couple of years. It just barely fit. It was something like 42"x22" when laid out into one big rectangle.
Sir Ed T. Toton III