"Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared."
                -- Eddie Rickenbacker

Author Topic: Joshua's armor - was Re: Ed's Mid 14th C. kit  (Read 37399 times)

Sir Jason Simonds

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Follower
  • Fortis et Fidelis "Strong and Faithful"
Re: Joshua's armor - was Re: Ed's Mid 14th C. kit
« Reply #15 on: 2011-06-01, 18:04:59 »
Can't wait to see the final decision. Sounds like you really have it together with your research.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #16 on: 2011-06-09, 19:22:15 »
Thank you Sir Jason!

During the past few weeks,I have been able to decide on what type of Kit to create.  I am looking for a Chernburg style Kit from either Ice Falcon Armory or Anshelm Arms and Armor (although I am leaning towards Anshelm personally).  But I am also conflicted about the earlier 1300's transitional style with the Coat of Plates.

My only question would be this: Would a Coat of Plates be appropriate for Early to Mid 1400's? 

Here are some pictures that should make it easier.

I am comfortable with a Coat of Plates, my personal preference is the Chernburg Style.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #17 on: 2011-06-09, 19:31:35 »

Absolutely! Coats of plates were in use well before this, and continued to be used well into the 14th. The globose breastplate didn't start to become standard until closer to the second half of the century.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #18 on: 2011-06-09, 19:33:58 »
Good choice of style... but there's no such thing as a Chernburg style. ;) There original harness happens to be one of many that resides in the Churburg castle. I don't know why so many people keep saying Chernburg, let alone discuss a "Chernburg style".
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #19 on: 2011-06-09, 19:49:55 »
Sir Edward: Thanks!  Now this is helpful.

Also, Thank you Das Bill and I am aware that I am just generalizing the style of harness I am interested in creating.  I really like that Brass Trimming Plates that are characteristic of 14th Century Harnesses.  That is my main reason for looking at Anshelm Arms and Armor just for that.  I love their armor pieces, though I wonder is it financially a better choice to order the pieces of the Kit or order the Full Harness once measurements are made?

(Hint: I got the idea from this Chivalric Gentleman!)

Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et Spirítui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #20 on: 2011-06-09, 19:54:49 »
But if a Coat of Plates would be the better choice, I am perfectly fine with that!

Anshelm's Coat of Plates would the one I would go for. 
Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #21 on: 2011-06-09, 20:02:45 »
Christian's harness in that photo is definitely leaning into the second half of the 14th. He's missing the haubergeon, arms, and spaulders in the photo. But the hourglass gaunts, globose breastplate, and houndskull visor are all in the second half of the century.

That doesn't rule out a coat of plates of course, but the breastplate become more popular at that point.
« Last Edit: 2011-06-09, 20:03:48 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #22 on: 2011-06-09, 20:46:48 »
Yep, I figured it was second half of 1400's.  Oh well, it seems I will have to settle with Mid to Late 14th Century Plate.

But that good news is that I will be ordering the pieces from Anshelm Arms and Armor.  If I am unable to, I will talk to Andre at Ice Falcon and see if he can make a similar suit (only with more historical accuracy than all of his other SCA pieces).

But that doesn't limit me to making an Early 14th century Kit with the Coat of Plates.  Which I intend to start of with for now thanks to your advice along with Das Bill!
Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #23 on: 2011-06-10, 02:05:56 »
me likey!

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #24 on: 2011-06-10, 03:37:17 »
Yep, I figured it was second half of 1400's.  Oh well, it seems I will have to settle with Mid to Late 14th Century Plate.

But that good news is that I will be ordering the pieces from Anshelm Arms and Armor.  If I am unable to, I will talk to Andre at Ice Falcon and see if he can make a similar suit (only with more historical accuracy than all of his other SCA pieces).

But that doesn't limit me to making an Early 14th century Kit with the Coat of Plates.  Which I intend to start of with for now thanks to your advice along with Das Bill!

no no second half of 1400s is 1450s. remember 1400-1499 is 15th century. 1300 to 1399 is 14th century. a lot of the plate that we think of in the 14thc came into the 15thc in the beginning. say to 1415 era. then it drastically changes by 1450 into the full on white harnesses etc

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #25 on: 2011-06-10, 13:26:32 »

Yep, 14th Century = 1300's
Sir Ed T. Toton III

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #26 on: 2011-06-10, 13:52:49 »
Also, Thank you Das Bill and I am aware that I am just generalizing the style of harness I am interested in creating.

It's not that you are generalizing, there is a suit of armor commonly referred to as the Churburg armor, and, as Bill said, it's in Churburg castle. What he's saying is that CHERNburg does not exist; it's CHURburg. You have it spelled wrong. ;)

Most people would know what you mean by Churburg armor - the standards being brass trim, a segmented breastplate, 3/4 arms and legs, and if gauntlets, hourglass cuff style. GDFB does some generic churburg style armor; the gauntlets pictured in my avatar are the GDFB churburg ones, but the rest of my kit is custom made.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #27 on: 2011-06-10, 20:24:24 »
econd half of 1400s is 1450s. remember 1400-1499 is 15th century. 1300 to 1399 is 14th century. a lot of the plate that we think of in the 14thc came into the 15thc in the beginning. say to 1415 era. then it drastically changes by 1450 into the full on white harnesses etc

I did make a mistake in my century timing.  Please excuse my mistake and be rest assured that when I create the Early 14th Century Kit via Anshelm Arms and Armor (with their Coat of Plates) and the Mid to Late 14th Century (same pieces only with Brass Trimming)  with just a Globose Breastplate from Anshelm.  (which I figured would be be the better choice than getting the same pieces again only from Merc Tailor's, but if the Anshlm Kit goes beyond my budget, then I will get the pieces from Merc Tailors)

t's CHURburg. You have it spelled wrong. Wink

Ah Darn It! Now I will have to slay anyone who dares misspell the sacred word of Churburg!
Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #28 on: 2011-06-10, 20:26:11 »

ok this is a good start.

you need to start somewhere right?

go here and buy this:
http://www.revivalclothing.com/cottongambeson.aspx

now you have the foundation of that kit.

next look at the body both in breastplate and mail, then the arms, then the legs, then the head, then the hands, then the shins.

Sir Wolf

• Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #29 on: 2011-06-10, 20:28:42 »

ok this is a good start.

you need to start somewhere right?

go here and buy this:
http://www.revivalclothing.com/cottongambeson.aspx

now you have the foundation of that kit.

next look at the body both in breastplate and mail, then the arms, then the legs, then the head, then the hands, then the shins.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AB0072&name=Churburg+Suit+of+Armour has it all in one. i would leave off the sabatons. but there you go, all 1 suit for a great price.