"He is victorious who knows when and when not to fight."
                -- Sun Tzu

Author Topic: My planned "Soft" Kit (clothing) - opinions / feedback  (Read 14969 times)

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
Re: My planned "Soft" Kit (clothing) - opinions / feedback
« Reply #30 on: 2011-05-21, 02:17:51 »
rarely are pants held up by your ring belt. i used to wear a belt in my pants and then the ring belt over my shirt over the pants for looks or to hold my pouch. but i always had issues. you have to get a ring belt REALLY tight and then it will open up a tad as the day goes by.

I have drawstring pants, so the belt isn't holding them up, but it's a bit too loose for my tastes. I tried my double-wrap sword belt, and other than holding the sword at a very awkward angle, I think it's the way I'll go. I need to get some materials and make a proper sword belt one of these days.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #31 on: 2011-05-21, 02:19:19 »

BTW, there is some garb shopping available at VARF. Might want to take a look and see what else is available on-site.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #32 on: 2011-05-22, 15:28:20 »

BTW, there is some garb shopping available at VARF. Might want to take a look and see what else is available on-site.

I definitely plan to do so at VARF and MDRF, having this soft kit together is to look presentable during the knightings, and since they are at 10am, that wouldn't give me time to shop, try on, and purchase.

One thing I noticed at MDRF is that they seem to roll the cost of the vendor booths into the prices, and a lot of things that I've thought about buying are actually more expensive to buy there in person than to order online (shipping included). It seems to be the opposite of SCA vendors, who usually announce sales at the events they go to vendor at, rather than markups. Is VARF the same way?
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #33 on: 2011-05-22, 17:45:10 »
Oh...in that case, maybe I'll order another pair, gilded this time.  So much small stuff to look to!

Yep, don't worry about being ostentatious. We're knights. We're supposed to have bling. :)

One thing I noticed at MDRF is that they seem to roll the cost of the vendor booths into the prices, and a lot of things that I've thought about buying are actually more expensive to buy there in person than to order online (shipping included). It seems to be the opposite of SCA vendors, who usually announce sales at the events they go to vendor at, rather than markups. Is VARF the same way?

You know, I'm not sure. The prices on things that I've looked at have been pretty average. When I ran a booth there, the vendor fees weren't very high. I know they want 10% of the cut from the food vendors, but I don't know if the other booth vendor fees have changed.
« Last Edit: 2011-05-22, 17:47:00 by Sir Edward »
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )