"We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey (Quest?) that no one can take for us or spare us."
                -- Marcel Post (1871 - 1922)

Author Topic: Help on Gothic Harness!  (Read 98303 times)

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
Re: Help on Gothic Harness!
« Reply #30 on: 2011-05-12, 20:33:17 »
file:///I:/De%20arte%20athletica%20II%20-%20BSB%20Cod.icon.%20393(2/bsb00007894_00489.jpg

Here is a better example what I am trying get at.

You'll need to upload the photo using the attachment feature in the "additional options" when posting a message. This URL above is a file location on your hard drive, so we won't be able to access it.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
  • Honorare scutum meum, veritas mea gladio
« Reply #31 on: 2011-05-12, 20:51:36 »
I think the first picture should give a general idea.  (Hard time with a large file)
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Honor My Sword, Truth My Shield.

Das Bill

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #32 on: 2011-05-13, 04:10:36 »
I myself like the German Gothic Armor, but recently with utilizing Merc's Tailor's pieces, I am able to come up with an Italian Style harness that existed in the 15th Century.

Here an example from Paulus Hector Mair

That harness is about a century later than what you're after. Now, if you like it, go for it, but just know that it's a reasonably late 16th century style. While the mid- to late 15th century is my personal preference, I still LOVE a lot of the high 16th century harnesses! :)
"A despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of skill." -Master Sigmund Ringeck

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #33 on: 2011-05-13, 13:31:39 »
That harness is about a century later than what you're after. Now, if you like it, go for it, but just know that it's a reasonably late 16th century style. While the mid- to late 15th century is my personal preference, I still LOVE a lot of the high 16th century harnesses!

You're correct on that, I seem to have a liking to late 15th Century/Maximilian, 16th Century styles of harnesses! LOL!

My idea for my 15th Century harness also came form these

So if I use these as examples (based on originals in Europe) it should look like this

15th Century Arms

15th/16th Century Legs

Another idea was to use this Venetian Sallet & Bevor but I not sure of if that is a good idea

Now if you're suggesting that I go with the 16th Century look, then it would look like this

16th Century Arms

16th Century Legs w/ Reinforcments

Once again, these are prototypes that are always subject to immediate change or further revisions.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Honora gladium meum, veritas mea, et SpirĂ­tui Sancto.  כדי לכבד המגן שלי, האמת שלי חרבי

Sir James A

• Weapons & Armor addict
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #34 on: 2011-05-13, 14:10:22 »
If you want to do Maximillian (I eventually do, but the price is a bit wild for my budget) then you definitely need to check out ArmoryMarek.com; he does LOTS of nice work.

He has a variety of armor and weapons like I have never seen before in one place; the only catch is that he is overseas and english isn't his first language (all I could get is that his armor is "1.5mm iron"), so that could be a possible barrier. If Allan at MercTailor doesn't make it, Marek is my second choice, but I haven't ordered from Marek yet.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #35 on: 2011-05-13, 14:37:01 »
I think 1.5mm translates roughly to 16 gauge iirc
The Black Knight, Order of the Marshal
'Per Pale Azure and Sable, a Chevron counterchanged fimbriated argent.' 
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #36 on: 2011-05-13, 15:26:47 »
Sir James:  You're a genius!  I haven't seen armor like this and I am majorly drooling!

My gosh, if Armory Marek was the alternative to Historic Enterprises or even Merc's Tailor's, this would be it.

Another I would like to  mention is that these are good, what i am really looking for is a standard harness that can fit into a historical period and simultaneously work as a fighting harness for HEMA.  What i mean is that I want it to be accurate and at the same time to be able to withstand good beating from future armored bouts or martial challenges.

That is my reason for choosing Merc's Tailor's.

Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #37 on: 2011-05-13, 15:32:33 »
Whatever you are posting that is so large, I cannot see it, Sir Joshua.  I see big white space in between the words of your post (top and bottom).  What is it?
“Pride makes a man, it drives him, it is the shield wall around his reputation.  Men die, but reputation does not.”

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #38 on: 2011-05-13, 17:21:02 »
I didn't post anything on the bottom.  Must be some spacing I blatantly left out.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir William

• Cogito ergo sum
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 2011-05-13, 17:27:10 »
Your previous post (above my earlier post) takes up a lot of space on my screen and its all blank, hence the question.

Sir Edward

• Forum Admin
  • Commander of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • Verum et Honorem.
    • ed.toton.org
« Reply #40 on: 2011-05-13, 17:43:07 »
Your previous post (above my earlier post) takes up a lot of space on my screen and its all blank, hence the question.

The images are probably getting blocked by your job's filter or something. It's photos of some very pretty harnesses.
Sir Ed T. Toton III
Knight Commander, Order of the Marshal

( Personal Site | My Facebook )

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #41 on: 2011-05-13, 20:12:36 »
It's photos of some very pretty harnesses.

That is true, the first harness is 16th Century with a Close Helm, gorgeous.

The second one is with a 15th Century Italian Harness with a Great Bascinet, simply amazing.

After looking at the second one, now it seems I have the prototype for the Italian Harness with the choice of three Helmets

The first one

(Anshelm Arms and Armor)

The Second one

(Ice Falcon Armory, Jousting Armet)

Examples of an armet similar to the given one are here

The Third one

(GDFB Venetian Sallet and Bevor via Therion Arms)

Here are two examples I can find of Italian Harnesses

I am still going with the direction of 15th Century Italian Harnesses.  I am more inclined to order the Great Bascinet but at the same time I feel that getting the Armet would make it better.  Once again, I will reserve judgment until approval for either one of these helmets from you brethren or Das Bill.  Advice or recommendation are always welcome.

It is quite interesting, I mean with three helmets up for judgement and Merc's Tailors for the body armor.  This harness will look historically awesome!
Knight of The Lion Blade

Sir Wolf

• He Who is Not to be Named
  • Knight of the Order
  • Forum Veteran
  • i have too many hats
    • man e faces
« Reply #42 on: 2011-05-14, 00:44:34 »
i have the sallet. while it is ok for a cheaper sallet, i would not get it for one of your pretty harnesses. it has some flaws that are kinda off as far as use and historical use is concerned. thus i havent used it yet for my LH purposes.

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #43 on: 2011-05-14, 01:25:00 »
I have also figured that the sallet wouldn't work at all.  So that is out.

Sop that leaves me with the Grand Bascinet and the Armet.

As a matter of fact I have decided what helmet.  It is the Grand Bascinet from Anshelm Arms and Armor.

So here is the revised 15th Century Italian Harness, open for judgement

Sabatons from Anshelm Arms and Armor

That should do it.
Knight of The Lion Blade

Joshua Santana

• Yeoman of the Order
  • Forum Acolyte
« Reply #44 on: 2011-05-15, 20:24:52 »
If there is an alternative to Merc's Tailors if the prototype harness is still inaccurate.

What about Ice Falcon Armory, anything good or bad about the armor made there?
(another reason is that it is closer to where I live in NJ)
Knight of The Lion Blade